View Single Post
Old 08-03-2016, 11:06 AM   #51
Jack.Kerr
Golden Member

Jack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirt_dobber View Post
Great points - And I'm sure the people of those days thought the same thing. And I
agree that no one can predict the "end times". Just pointing out that the depravity of man
knows no end.
Your post along with the 50th anniversary of the UT sniper attack made me think about the decade of the 60s in comparison to now, and I have to think that was a much more frightening time given everything that was happening then:

1960 Lunch Counter Protests
1961 Freedom Riders in Mississippi
1961 Bay of Pigs
1961 U.S. Troops isent to Indochina
1961 Soviet Hydrogen Bomb Explosion
1962 Desegregation in Mississippi
1962 Cuban Missile Crisis
1963 Medgar Evers Assassination in Mississippi
1963 Birmingham Church Bombing- Birmingham, AL
1963 John F. Kennedy Assassination- Dallas
1964 Bloody Tuesday-Tuscaloosa, Alabama
1964 Chaney Goodman Schwermer Murders in Mississippi
1965 Bloody Sunday- Selma to Montgomery Marches Alabama
1965 U.S. Military Engagament in Vietnam
1965 Malcolm X Assassination in New York City
1965 Watts Riots in Los Angeles
1966 University of Texas Tower Sniper
1968 Martin Luther King Assassination in Memphis
1968 Robert F. Kennedy Assassination in Los Angeles
1968 Protests at Democratic National Convention in Chicago
1969 Campus Protests- Berkeley
1969 Stonewall Protests- New York
1969 Tate-Labianca Killings- Los Angeles
1970 Kent State Shootings - Ohio

The violent reactions to the Civil Rights movement, the assassinations of political leaders and civil rights activists, the Vietnam war, the constant anti-war protests and campus unrest, inner city riots, mass murders, the threat of nuclear war....even with the terrorist attacks of today, the mass gun murders, the bad acts of some members of law enforcement.... the 1960s still sounds like a much more turbulent time, and it was before people were as inured to public violence.

I still think that things have gotten better overall, even as terrorism and gun violence have become more acute.
Jack.Kerr is offline   Reply With Quote