View Single Post
Old 03-23-2021, 11:52 AM   #36
purplefrog
Platinum Member

purplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond repute

Hypothetical: Mavs find themselves with no trade opportunity that the MBT deems will make a real difference this season. Should they make a play for Drummond or Aldridge as a defensive move that would prevent a buyout and them joining a competitor in the West (e.g. Lakers; Clippers; Warriors)? My thinking is that wouldn't Cleveland or San Antonio rather make a trade than simply let their player go? Perhaps the Spurs feel some loyalty to LA and would like to allow him to choose his team, but I doubt the Cavs feel that way about Drummond. One option would be the Mavs send a package including something like JJ, Burke, and WCS. It wouldn't be a 100% defensive move as there is some possibility Drummond or LA would make a contribution this season and/or sign with the Mavs in the offseason.

Is it worth losing JJ, Burke and WCS? Perhaps the MBT believes JJ has a role in the future for the Mavs, but I don't see it and would hate to see that big expiring contract just expire.