View Single Post
Old 03-17-2008, 05:24 PM   #98
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sike
In the same post (the next sentence actually) I say any resentment of Dirk could be because of his heritage, because he is a Maverick, etc...so I was not so exclusive in my claim as you have made me out to be...this is the second time in a row I've either been taken out of context or misinterpreted. My main point has been that Dirk has often been unfairly judged and that there is an unusual bias against him...and that whatever the reason is...there is one.

But, to your question, I do believe that there are idiots who dislike Dirk because (and this has all been said by now) he is a goofy white foreign dork. I do think, that among others, one reason that Dirk may be disliked by some is petty jealousy. Are you denying this possibility, offended that I suggest this may be the case for some in the media, or just trying to find out what I think on the matter?
I apologize if I’m misrepresenting your argument because that’s not my intention. You did throw out a number of theories but obviously that one struck a nerve. It implies that criticism of Dirk is skewed towards the black basketball media and I don’t see that. I also don’t see why, say, David Aldridge would be jealous of Dirk. I could be wrong but I don’t see it. And Rick Bucher, who I consider Dirk’s biggest critic over the years, has absolutely no reason to be jealous of him. He probably dislikes him because he’s not a very good analyst.

Quote:
and I tell you that they had no choice to have that opinion and still be considered legit basketball minds...he had just led a team to 67 wins. Like I said before, its not that anyone says Dirk is a bad player (that is ridiculous and patently unarguable), its more that some seem to enjoy taking shots when shots are even potentially reasonable.
They always have a choice. That’s why nobody is ever unanimous. The two years before that they had a choice as to weather to vote him on to the first team or the second or third team. He finished ahead of some very good players these past three years and he couldn’t have done that if the media bias was as blatant as you say it is.

Quote:
let me be very clear in this question as well: do you dirno believe that there is any national anti-dirk bias?
Do I think he’s been underrated for most of his career? Yes, I do. But over the past couple of years I’ve seen a lot of the disrespect subside. While it’s still out there, it’s so infrequent and spread out that it’s hard to make blanket statements like “he doesn’t get respect because he’s white”. You kind of have to look at the comments on a case by case basis and take into account who is making them.