View Single Post
Old 03-17-2008, 07:25 PM   #108
LSMF
Diamond Member

LSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by endrity
Whoever doesn't think there is anti-Dirk bias just doesn't know the world out there. Look at the comments in youtube clips, go spend sometime in other team's boards (I do this a lot) and you'll see what a huge anti-Dirk bias is out there. Many people dislike him. That is a fact.

Why it happens, it's been widely discussed. I think it's also because he goes against every thing that people have been taught about the game. He is a 7footer who is a great shooter, who can score on the block but also anywhere else around the floor. As John Thompson put it very clearely in an interview he did with Dirk and Kidd: "He screwed up the game".

All over America coaches are telling their 7 footers to be push people around, score from two feet away, and barely teaching them how to move. And then here comes this kid from Europe and is so succesful by being totally opposite from what people want out of 7 footers. It's kind of mocking the game that people have been taught.

That plus that he is white, and a European, makes him ripe for criticism. As someone already said, when did you ever hear "soft black boyz" or "tough European" for anyone. NEVER!

Personally I believe this all goes away when/if he wins a title. They can say a lot of thing after that about him, but it can't be that he isn't a winner or that he is 'soft' or a 'choker'.
You nailed it, that's the same exact thing I was trying to say and immediately I was given negative rep. I don't care though because it's the truth, people once used to call the mavs "soft white boyz". That right there should show how much people respect dirk. The fact imo is that Dirk is unstoppable but since he is white and a euro he will alway be called "soft". If Duncan was the one shooting 3's everyone would be praising him all the time but since it's dirk he is called soft. If you can't see that there is a bias against Dirk then I don't know what to tell you. Even Stack said it on a interview with Stephen A.Smith that the reason why the mavs are considered soft is because they have a jumpshooting euro player as their leader. And I will try to find the link of the interview just to prove it.