View Single Post
Old 05-23-2007, 07:50 AM   #19
dirt_dobber
Diamond Member

dirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond repute

Adelman thinks he's landed in good spot
Rockets players reciprocate the positive vibes

By JONATHAN FEIGEN
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/...n/4828214.html
Rick Adelman, who will become the next Rockets coach today, arrived in town late Tuesday night after a long, hard travel day. But as always in coaching, the point is not the journey but the destination.

When finally nothing else was uncertain, Adelman was very much up in the air, arriving in Houston about four hours behind schedule because of travel delays. But he is scheduled to be introduced at a 3 p.m. news conference today at Toyota Center.

Even with the delays, Adelman, after sitting out of coaching for a year, considered the position worth the wait.

"I always knew I was going to look for something eventually," he said. "This is obviously just a great situation with the city, the organization and two pretty good players. I'm just really excited.

"This is a team that played so solid together last year. You can build on that. In this league, I learned a long time ago it's a lot easier coaching when you have good players, good people. I think this team has that from my observations. I watched them at the end of last year when they came to Portland and was really impressed with the way they played. I'm just really excited to have the opportunity to coach these guys."

While much remains to be determined, Rockets players said they were encouraged about having another proven, veteran coach. Adelman's .610 winning percentage is the best for an active NBA coach without a league title.

"You always want to play for a coach that has experience and has won," Rockets forward Shane Battier said. "I think coach Adelman has shown that over the years in different situations. That's the exciting part of this announcement.

"I enjoyed the year. I thought we had a great year. I really enjoyed working with (former coach) Jeff (Van Gundy). I thought I did the best I could for him. And I think he would say I did well for him."

Rockets center Yao Ming praised Van Gundy, under whom he went from a promising project to an All-NBA player, while expressing optimism about playing for his third coach in six seasons.

"I've been working good with Jeff," Yao said. "He gave me the best four years, so far, in my career. I appreciate what he did for me. He put in a lot of effort, a lot of work. We had a good time. I'm so sad to hear he's leaving. We knew a little bit before that it was going to happen. I'm still sad. Hopefully, he got some rest and will have a good time with his family.

"Right now, we're looking forward. Changing coaches has happened to me before. Rick Adelman, I know he coached the Sacramento team before. He also coached great centers. I believe we'll have a good future."

The new coach likely will change much of the Rockets' offensive style. Adelman traditionally has used a more free-flowing, often open-post offense.

"Every team that talks to you, you look at it and say what can you do with that team," Adelman said. "There's some real pluses there when you have Yao at center and you have Tracy (McGrady) — one of the best perimeter people and one of the best big guys. I've been thinking about it. I think things we've done in the past work for anybody. You just have to put people in good positions, and they'll respond."

For Rockets players, there surely will be adjustments to make, though there is a sense that what worked for Adelman before can work again.

"I'm for playing for a good coach," Battier said. "He'll be looking at our personnel and tailor a system to give us the best chance to win. That's what good coaches do."

While Adelman took his first steps toward his new job, Van Gundy lined up his next position, agreeing to work as an analyst on ABC's broadcast of the NBA Finals.

Van Gundy, speaking Tuesday on ESPN, praised Adelman while saying he had wanted to remain the Rockets' coach.

"Rick Adelman is a terrific basketball coach and an even better man," Van Gundy said. "The owner (Leslie Alexander) wanted to make a change. That's his prerogative. That's his right. I don't think they made the right decision, but it is a decision they have every right to make."

It was also a decision they made quickly, and by day's end Tuesday, Adelman and the Rockets were where they wanted to be.

"There was a change being made, and I'd had a pretty good track record over the years with two very good positions in Portland and Sacramento," Adelman said. "I think obviously they thought I could do something good here."
dirt_dobber is offline   Reply With Quote