Thread: Flop rules
View Single Post
Old 10-06-2012, 12:42 AM   #4
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirkadirkastan View Post
I'm happy with neither the quotes nor the rules.

It's not that hard to detect a flop during a live play; I don't know why the refs have such a hard time with it. If they didn't fall for the antics, there wouldn't be a problem. Fining the players is a shift in responsibility.
I think Cuban is very much on the right track with one thing...I read somewhere that he is working on using video tracking technology to measure the time of responses by defenders. That makes all the sense in the world. It would take a very clever artist, at the top of his craft, to time phantom contact just perfectly (in which case we should give him the call if for no reason other than he is that good at what he does).

I think it's a little tricky, though, to put it all in the hands of the referees. Somewhat reminiscent of the Green Bay/Seattle game, I think we have to always recognize that it's a world of difference in real time as opposed to in slo-mo replay.

I actually love--and think it's genius--the idea of announcing flops by the league, the next day. Call it in a game and only so many people will notice. Announce it the next day and everyone hears about it. You embarrass enough guys, and they will stop doing it.

What I really don't get is this...flopping is something we have all complained about, for a long time...why would Dirk and Cuban be questioning an effort to curtail it?
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote