View Single Post
Old 06-29-2009, 10:06 AM   #289
92bDad
Platinum Member

92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future

Great matches yesterday!!!

First the Spain/SAfrica match...all the scoring in the final 17 minutes with great action in the final few minutes into stoppage time.

In the Overtime, we could see that the legs where gone on both sides, it was almost as rough as watching a triply overtime playoff hockey game.

Then onto the USA/Brazil match...I don't believe ANYONE expected the USA to be up 2-0 at the half. They showed in the first half that they could hang with Brazil and they have something to provide some type of hope for next years World Cup.

The 2nd half, Brazil remained composed and simply did what they do best...keep the ball and penetrate over and over. Similar to a Red Wings offense, they just keep coming and coming and sooner or later they will score. Honestly, the USA looked wore out, perhaps mentally more than physically. They appeared to be trying to hold on to the lead rather than maintain an attack...this allowed the momentum to shift in Brazils favor, ultimately leading to the 3-2 Victory for Brazil.

MVP of this match has got to be Howard!!! The types of saves he made in this match boarder on historical. He saved arguably 3-4 point blank goals and if not for his work in the box, team USA could have very well been blown out.

On the positive side, Team USA losing in a close match may be the best thing to happen to them going into next years world cup.

Had they won, I believe they would have developed a little undeserved cockyness and perhaps overconfidence.

Now they can taste how close they are and I believe it will help this group to sharpen their focus a little more and come into 2010 with a mission.

No doubt, Team USA remains the underdog...but they do have the Upside to exceed any and all expectations.

Congrats to Brazil, they are the powerhouse of the Soccer world for a reason!!!

This was a nice little off-season break from other sports!!!
92bDad is offline   Reply With Quote