View Single Post
Old 06-29-2016, 01:35 PM   #50
spreedom
Diamond Member

spreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac222b View Post
Except he's known for giving 100% only at select times. Mainly playoffs time.
Fair point... had we gotten even average (for Rondo) effort, I think that trade's probably a win to at least some degree. I mean hell, his effort isn't appreciably worse than Deron, who gives it.... well, a lot less than 100% until the last five minutes of the game. Rondo's just a different kind of player who has different strengths. But overall, considering the result the trade obviously ended up a bad one.

Though it is worth mentioning how terrible it appears the draft class is this year and that Ainge used our pick to draft-and-stash a guy. At pick number sixteen! There's a really good chance Powell is better than whoever we would have gotten in the draft, so I'm not that bent out of shape about the deal overall, especially knowing that Dirk was strongly behind it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rimrocker View Post
Just curious...has an injury plagued non-all-star FA ever received a max deal?
Come on now, let's not act like Parsons is going to be the worst player ever to get a huge, possibly bad contract. Bradley Beal is looking at the max and PLENTY of underachieving or otherwise injury-prone guys have gotten huge deals. All Star designation is kind of a random criterion for this sort of conversation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricaLubarsky View Post
Maybe he just isn't that good. Of our five-man units, those with Parsons as SF rank among the bottom. His offense is okay but he was a ball killer and his fairly effective offense didn't make up for his wretched rebounding and poor defense. Plus, this is Rick's team. Rick wants defense and without even mediocre rebounding, we were physically unable to be an up-tempo team that would maximize Parsons' effectiveness and hide Parsons' defensive liabilities. Parsons would be decent on a Don Nelson/Dantoni team. It just seems like we want to go in a different direction with defense, rebounding, and grit based on who were targeting in free agency.
While I agree that Parsons is far from a perfect player, when he was healthy and playing regular minutes, I'd say he was definitely the best player on this team. Obviously those "when he was healthy" and "playing regular minutes" qualifiers can't be overlooked, but I think a lot of us are going a little overboard in burying Parsons the player here. He opted out, which I think we all saw as a foregone conclusion when he signed the deal in the first place. I think a lot of people (myself included) looked at him as a 4yr/$80M type of player right before his injury. Is $22M per year really that much of a stretch if $20M seemed reasonable?

And let's keep in mind, again, that the second knee injury was a total fluke, and had it occurred a month earlier we would likely have had Parsons at 100% going into the playoffs. That turns all of this into a totally different conversation.

I know most people are pissed that he's probably leaving, but let's not act like he's a mediocre player.
spreedom is offline   Reply With Quote