View Single Post
Old 05-26-2004, 05:35 PM   #8
LRB
Guru

LRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to behold
Default RE:The New Anti-Americanism

Quote:
The reality of the situation in Iraq is that we conquered a country for stated reasons that proved to be - much to our embarrassment - non-existent. The unpalatable fact is that, after almost a year of occupation, we have been totally unable to unearth one shred of evidence that points to either the presence of WMD or a link between Iraq and Al-Qaeda.
While a successful argument could be made that an overwhelming amount of evidence has not been found, it would not be accurate to say not "one shred of evidence" has been found. Last week an artilleray shell was found with chemical components. That is at least a single shred. Al Queda camps along the borders, papers linking meetings between high level Iraqi and Al Queda officials have been found as well. Certainly more than a single shred there as well.

Quote:
The Iraqis want us gone. And we won't leave.
While it is clearly obvious that some Iraqis want us gone, I do not think that it is so easily determined that all or even most want us gone. Much of our information is tainted by biased media reporters whose agenda is well served by reporting that the Iraqis don't want us there. What is rarely reported is the cooperation and thanks that we have and still do recieve. Furthermore it would be irresponsible for the US to leave and let Iraq drown in anarchy.

Quote:
We've killed hundreds or thousands of innocent Iraqis - something that, as a student of war, I know is inevitable and we have done our utmost to avoid. Nevertheless, the fact remains.
I'm totally unsure where this number comes from. Are you adding military and civilian casualties together and calling all innocent? Even then I don't think we'd have much more than 100,000 casualties. I would be interested in the source of these numbers though so that I could see for myself. Clearly thousands of innocents have died which is a tragedy even if it doesn't reach the hundreds of thousands. But would any less have died if Saddam had remained in power? Maybe, maybe not. We don't know for sure, but we do know that he's killed hundreds of thousands of his own citizens in the past.

Quote:
They know we've killed innocent people and that, worse yet, we are mocking, torturing and ridiculing prisoners against the terms of the Geneva treaty - a treaty of which we are the primary supporter.
The geneva treaty does not cover all prisioners only ones who are taken that are fighting in uniform among other considerations. It does not cover ununiformed terrorists. Still we have taken actions to stop the abuses and to punish the perpetrators. But for every one tortured by US, there are hundreds if not thousands who we freed from torture far worse. But the media has no desire to dwell on this do they?

Quote:
Hatred of America is at an all-time high - in the Middle East and throughout the rest of the world. We have effectively propelled a hatred that was the province of the few into the hearts and minds of the many. None of us know who's right now, or next year or the next. But all I will say is that we will not escape the wrath of such wide-spread, cultural Anti-American venom. Children will be raised to seethe in hatred at the U.S., and will be given plenty of visual evidence of why they should. We are the new Israel.
I would rather be hated but respected than have indifference and no respect. In the middle east if you have no respect then you are a target and no one thinks twice about attacking you. If you are hated you are a bigger target, but with respect they will think long and hard before attacking you except for the crazies who would attack us anyways.

If we go around walking on egg shells afraid to defend ourselves because of what the Arab world thinks of us, then we lose our freedom. If they want to hate us, become our enmies, and attack us then we can kill them as well. We have more than enough bullets, bombs and other devices. If they want to be our friends then we will be the best of friends. And if they want us to leave them the hell alone, then learn to leave us the hell alone and live in peace.