View Single Post
Old 05-04-2006, 01:14 AM   #57
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thespiralgoeson
You obviously didn't watch NBA Basketball last season if you think Dirk wasn't Duncan's equal.

2004-2005

Dirk

26.1 PPG
.459 FG%
.869 FT%
.399 3pt%
9.7 RPG
3.1 APG

Duncan

20.3 PPG
.496 FG%
.670 FT%
.333 3pt%
11.1 RPG
2.7 APG

Actually, you're right. Dirk wasn't Duncan's equal last year. He was BETTER.

And please, for the love of god, don't use the titles as your only support. If the number of titles a player has dictates how good he is, or determines if one player is better than another, then Horace Grant was a better player than Patrick Ewing. Robert Horry is as good as Michael Jordan. Mark Aguirre was a better player than Elgin Baylor. It's bullshit.
Nothing gives me more tired head than someone comparing one average stat line to another and declaring one player better. This isn't baseball. This isn't one-on-one.

TD's team won three more games than DN's team, with the supporting casts being similar. Some things you just can't settle in basketball with individual stats.

Now, this is not to say that TD is better than DN. I happen to prefer DN because I think TD would fold up like Pau Gasol if the calls went his way the way they go Dirk's way. But still, such a simplistic analysis gives me tired head.
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote