View Single Post
Old 08-04-2014, 12:49 AM   #4066
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jproxursoxoff View Post
Regarding the Dirk/Garnett debate, I don't know about 04-05 but definitely by 2005-2006 Dirk reached a level of eliteness I dont think Garnett ever got to (largely due to the playoff run, no matter how it ended). Although I was pleasantly surprised that Dirk worked his tail off once Nash left (04-05) to go from perennial all-star level to perennial mvp-candidate. You guys are right though. There were definitely signs before that. That playoff sweep against the Wolves was incredible. I think Dirk averaged like 33 ppg or something. Plus it seems Dirk's had a longer prime.

More importantly, I wouldn't say it's public opinion that Dirk is higher on the all-time list than Garnett. I mean DUHH he is, but I'm just saying that's not the general consensus... especially among younger fans. I actually JUST about a month ago had a debate over youtube comments on the issue. One dude and others seemed to think I was delusional. But Dirk will never get his due. Ever. And I've accepted that so mehh.
I dunno, it's hard to tell what the real consensus is- maybe because there isn't one. I don't really count opinions from idiots on youtube. I was thinking more of the sports media (not that they aren't idiots too.) I just know that since the championship in 2011 there was a lot of commentators and writers seemed to agree that Dirk was top 20 or at least top 25. The consensus seemed to be that Dirk right behind Bird, Duncan, and Lebron in terms of forwards, and right ahead of Barkley and Malone. People didn't even seem to mention KG.
Thespiralgoeson is offline   Reply With Quote