View Single Post
Old 09-12-2020, 01:57 PM   #3
mac222b
Diamond Member

mac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerLeft View Post
Didn't see a thread for this (if I missed one, I'll delete) and it seems like this place is turning into a ghost town, day by day. Personally, the shutdown felt like an off season and the bubble has my basketball and Mavs appetite in overdrive.

So, what's the consensus around here regarding the best way forward? If you're the GM, do you hold off to see what Giannis does, or do you go into talent acquisition mode, full steam ahead? Maybe the latter, while carefully keeping yourself within 1-3 realistic steps of clearing space if/when you need it?

If you're ready to kiss Giannis goodbye, are there other 2021 targets that peak your interest? In any event, do you try to find seasoned vets who are on a win-now timeline, or do you stick with dudes in the 22-28 range who can grow with Luka and KP?

This part of the cycle is fascinating to me.

EDIT: I see that there's a whole board option devoted to discussions like this. I feel like this warrants its own thread but I know there are some hardcore rules here. I can't find an option to delete this, but if a mod wants to do it I'll understand.
I’m for acquiring talent this summer. If Giannis wants to come here, it’s been proven time and again that cap space can be carved out. GSW alone have done it like three times in the last 5 years or so! Stole Iggy from us that way.

I think the goal with the MLE should be a quality rotation player on a not onerous contract. Personally I like Saric: his 3 pint percentage would improve here and he could be a playmaker with our second unit and would thrive in RCs offense. Problem is, Phoenix may just match if we offer MLE as he’s restricted. And he’s not a great defensive player.

Other option with MLE is giving part of it to guys like Derrick Jones Jr. or our own Trey Burke.

I’m ok with us using the picks in trade if it brings back a difference maker or younger player who will be part of the long term core. Ideally though, we come away from this draft with two young players: maybe one, or both, is ready to contribute right away. That seems to be a trend around the league. Maybe one or both become assets for a big trade down the line. It’s a draft with nice depth.

Worst case scenario seems to be standing pat AND missing out on Giannis. I’m not at all in favour of using MLE if MBT doesn’t like what’s available. I don’t think handing an old guy like Millsap or Baynes, as much as I like both, a 3yr deal just because we need “enforcers” is a good use of resources. I think there is bound to be some player who fits our roster available for part or all of MLE.
mac222b is offline   Reply With Quote