View Single Post
Old 05-01-2008, 05:05 PM   #129
wmbwinn
Platinum Member

wmbwinn has much to be proud ofwmbwinn has much to be proud ofwmbwinn has much to be proud ofwmbwinn has much to be proud ofwmbwinn has much to be proud ofwmbwinn has much to be proud ofwmbwinn has much to be proud ofwmbwinn has much to be proud ofwmbwinn has much to be proud ofwmbwinn has much to be proud ofwmbwinn has much to be proud of

Alex, the legal attack is all about statutory rape. There are many statements about "abuse" and "polygamy" and other words are used. But, legally, this is a charge of statutory rape. And, if they can prove that the FLDS group committed fraud in the birth certificates and state IDs, then you have the charge of Conspiracy to commit statutory rape.

I agree that it is no crime to believe what you want to believe. I agree that the motivation behind the seizing of children has little to do with the legal position. I agree that the motivation to act against this group is a lot bigger than statutory rape. I agree that they are being attacked for their beliefs.

But, the legal issue is statutory rape and conspiracy.

And, a person's religious beliefs are not a defense for crime.
And, a person's religious beliefs do not constitute a crime. But, criminal actions for any reason (whether or not committed under the banner of a religion) is still a criminal action.

If a person believes in human sacrifice, that belief is no legal defense for murder.
Same here. The religious belief will be no defense for statutory rape and conspiracy to commit statutory rape.
"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." -Thomas Jefferson
wmbwinn is offline   Reply With Quote