View Single Post
Old 05-11-2010, 08:32 PM   #24
BGMaverick9
Guru

BGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayliss View Post

So that's not a steal when you factor in that JJB is not the backup PG for the Mavs. JJB is the defacto SG on most nights. Hell, he is the SF on some nights when they go with the 3 guard lineup.

And let's not even get into the "he is what he is" and the Mavs already have a young PG/SG who can defend better than him, rebound better, and shoot better. And having JJB may definitely hamper that player's development.

So there is definitely a **downside** to JJB staying. And how this simple and indisputable truth eludes so many in this thread is beyond me.
The system is flawed...that's not the issue. The issue is whether it was good or bad in picking up the option. You just said he can play SG and SF as well as PG. For someone who can do that and it only costs you 1.8....
????

The only downside i see is from a minutes management standpoint, that's up to Rick to figure that out.

Any backup PG is going to have their flaws, when it comes down to it, whether it's right or wrong: if nothing radically stands out, you're going to go with what you know. The FO knows JJ and what he can do. It takes a lot less time dealing with him instead of having to spend the time incorporating what another PG does and if it actually meshes with your system. That is something that can easily hamper a player's development as well.