View Single Post
Old 03-12-2009, 10:27 AM   #71
AxdemxO
Diamond Member

AxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayliss View Post
The reason why the Mavs seem to do better with Howard out is because it forces Dirk into action immediately. The other night againstPhx, Dirk took 10 shots in the first quarter. Last night, he took around 7 in the first quarter.

Carlisle forcefeeds Dirk the ball on EVERY trip down. Dirk is involved in the play all the time. He may not get the ball but he will be setting the screen for Terry, etc. With Howard in the game, there are too many possessions where Dirk and the rest of the team know that Howard aint giving it up so they just stand around. With Dirk, they know hewill probably shoot it, but guys like Kidd, Terry, Dampier also know that if they get open, Dirk will try to find them.

Will that style work in the playoffs? Probably not. But that is why it is important for Dirk to tote the load on offensive possessions. He has to dominate the ball, looking to shoot at every available opportunity...

(Btw, Portland was mugging guys last night in the second half. The Mavs could not buy a call and for them to pull this out. Damn. That was incredible.
Thats it. but why wouldn't it work. The Mavs wont change what they do when Howard is out there. Which means less shots for Dirk and Jet and I for one dont like that. So like I said I would rather keep him out because I have no hope that he will come back and play any diff. because he wont.

I think Dirk/Jet with other helping can carry us further then when Howards out there because he takes away from both of those guys.

"It feels disrespectful when you watch these shows, TNT, ESPN, and they're talking, 'Walk through the Mavericks, that's who you want to play," Terry said. "OK. We'll see if that's who you want to play."

........GO MAVS
AxdemxO is offline   Reply With Quote