View Single Post
Old 10-23-2004, 01:24 PM   #7
MavsFanFinley
Guru

MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE:Evan Esch....just retired....

DALLAS- The Dallas Mavericks announce the retirement of center Evan Eschmeyer today. Eschmeyer has not played since the 2002 03 season due to knee surgery.

"I feel like the luckiest person in the world to live a dream of mine," Eschmeyer said. "I am sad it has come to an end, but I know I have given every ounce of effort every second I have played. I am forever grateful to so many people and especially grateful to the Dallas Mavericks. My only wish is that I would have been a little healthier. Sometimes the mind is willing, but the body is not able."

In his four-year career, Eschmeyer played 153 games and averaged 2.8 points and 3.9 rebounds in 14.0 minutes per game. He averaged a career-high 3.4 points and 4.9 rebounds in 74 games with 51 starts with the Nets in 2000-01. He scored a career-high 12 points against Chicago on 4/17/01 and grabbed a career-high 13 rebounds also against Chicago on 11/3/00.

"Evan has always been a constant professional," said President of Basketball Operations/Assistant Coach Donnie Nelson said. "He has a tremendous work ethic and will be missed both on and off the court. The Mavericks organization wishes him nothing but the best."

Eschmeyer (6-11, 250) was a second round selection (34th overall) by the New Jersey Nets in the 1999 NBA Draft. He played two seasons in New Jersey before signing a six-year contract with the Mavericks on 8/25/01. He was traded to Golden State along with Avery Johnson, Popeye Jones, Antoine Rigaudeau and Nick Van Exel in exchange for Antawn Jamison, Danny Fortson, Jiri Welsch and Chris Mills on 8/18/03. Then he was traded back to Dallas on 8/24/04 with Erick Dampier, Dan Dickau, the draft rights of Steve Logan in exchange for Christian Laettner, Eduardo Najera, two future first round draft picks, the draft rights of Luis Flores and Mladen Sekularac and cash considerations.

Eschmeyer was a college standout at Northwestern University where he still ranks first or second in six different statistical categories including - field goal percentage, free throws made, free throws attempted, rebounds, points and blocked shots. He was a Second Team All-American as a senior and a three-time All-Big Team member.