View Single Post
Old 02-24-2005, 06:04 PM   #40
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE:Some Christians Never Give Up...lol

Great questions, Jive...(a very underrated poster!....when are the next Sikeys?)
By the way...great thoughts from UL on these questions
I personally hate politics, so I'll stay with the more theological questions....don't judge me too harshly [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
Quote:
If someone is not aware that they are sinning, but are otherwise repentful Christians, do Christians believe that they are forgiven for it by God anyway?
this is a thought that has been largely forgotten by modern (more likey, just ignored) theologians, but the Church Fathers addressed it often. In their search for piety, they constantly prayed that they would not commit unknown sins but that if they did that they would be forgiven them....I personally think that it is part of the function of the Holy Spirit to bring and sustain conviction in the heart of the believer(not in the lost man or woman though), so that if we participate in something that fails to meet the "glory of God" we are brought to conviction over it. Now let me say that I think that one must be dedicated to living a Godly life to be "tuned in" to the Spirit of God...so if one is at a point in their life where their commitment is wishy washy at best...they may fail to come to repentance they way they should
Quote:
Let's say someone really believes that they are meant to be gay, and they meet a person who they believe is a blessing or gift to them from God. This person then chooses to live the rest of thier lives as a gay person in what they believe to be a fully legit and sanctioned relationship, because they interpret scripture in a different manner than how someone like UL interprets scripture.
With all the talk about interpretation going around this world (especially in theological circles) I have come to the conclusion that UL's interpretation doesn't matter any more than sike's interpretaion any more than Richard Simmons's interpretation any more than Jive's interpretation.....it all comes down to the simple and deciding point of "WHAT IS GOD's TRUE INTENT?" All I can say to this point, Jive, is my own opinion of God's opinion. You will of course have to make up your own mind as to which you believe is God's...To answer your question though, I BELIEVE that the Bible deals with homosexuality in clear and concise detail. I believe that Biblically it is a sin...not an unforgivable sin, but rather a sin of the flesh and unnatural at that. I believe that in the situation you presented, the person who believes themselves to be a Christian (a follower of Christ and his word) and at the same time continually (this is key) embraces the homosexual lifestyle has come to believe a lie. Notice what I did not say, I did not say that they are bad people, mean people, or overly evil people....in fact they may be very moral in every other part of their life. But because of my understanding of Scripture, I see the embracing of homosexuality and indwelling of the Spirit of God as contrary to one another.
Quote:
Should that person be constantly reminded by the church that their lifestyle is sinful even though it may drive them away?
If Christians who say homosexuality is a sin are correct in their interpretation of God's word (myself as one), then reminding that person of their sin is actually the most loving thing they could do. But as a pastor, there will eventually come a time where if the person in question does not show genuine repentance of the sin, he or she should be asked to leave. But I would say this about many sins, not simply homosexuality. I won't bore you with a list [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
Quote:
Couldn't the rest of the church members just agree to split hairs on that one?
To the church(most churches anyway), it is not a "splitting hair" issue. And like I mentioned, to ignore it would be the most unloving thing they could do...because they would be lying to the person in question and at the same time be rejecting God's word.
Quote:
Do they fear that these people will go to hell if they aren't reminded that they are sinning
They (we) believe they will go to Hell for not truely accepting Christ...the same fate of any (not merely homosexuals) who reject him...which is more loving, to ignore it or to confront it? As far as the politics, I'm staying away from that [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

As I stated before...I see Homosexuality as just another sin that men/women need the power of Christ to be delivered from...though it was never an issue for me, I certainly had plenty of sins that God has and still is in process of removing from my life.
I hope to treat them just as anyone else...with the love of Jesus.

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote