View Single Post
Old 02-25-2013, 04:57 PM   #220
Five-ofan
Guru

Five-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by grndmstr_c View Post
Not intending to diminish off-the-ball movement, but to my mind it should be clear that passing adds another layer of complication to the mental calculus, for the simple reason that the passer is responsible for deciding whether the cut merits a pass, whether it was wholely ineffective, or whether the cut has forced a defensive adjustment that can be exploited elsewhere on the floor. That kind of awareness is what sets guys like Kidd apart from other "smart" players, and makes the top 5-10 argument for Shawn ring a bit hollow to me.

Of course, in addition to being a good cutter, Marion's also effective in the passing game, and good at reading opposing offenses as well. Those aspects of his game are at least as important as his cutting in an evaluation of his bball IQ, IMO.
It's not just the cutting that makes me believe his bball iq is high. Josh Howard was a good cutter and he had a terrible bball iq. It's everything together
Five-ofan is offline   Reply With Quote