View Single Post
Old 01-20-2004, 04:16 PM   #30
NewMexiMav

NewMexiMav is a splendid one to beholdNewMexiMav is a splendid one to beholdNewMexiMav is a splendid one to beholdNewMexiMav is a splendid one to beholdNewMexiMav is a splendid one to beholdNewMexiMav is a splendid one to beholdNewMexiMav is a splendid one to beholdNewMexiMav is a splendid one to beholdNewMexiMav is a splendid one to beholdNewMexiMav is a splendid one to beholdNewMexiMav is a splendid one to behold
Default RE: Bradley in the 4th

I think it is no coincidence that one of the reasons for our recent road success has been the commitment of Nellie (in the Denver game) and Donnie (in the Portland game) to give the Bradley/Fortson center combo 30 minutes of playing time. If these two are healthy, this needs to be done consistently. Bradley boosts our defense and Fortson is a rebounding monster.

Also, not coincidentally, defense and strong defensive rebounding are two things a team desperately needs in the 4th Qtr when trying to hold on to a lead. When the opposition is trying to mount a comeback in the 4th, possessions are critical. You don't want to give any easy looks close to the hoop and you sure don't want to give any second chance attempts. So, in that regard, Bradley or Fortson in the 4th would be nice.

I understand (and the point has been made above) why Nellie plays the Big 5 at crunch time in close games--these are the studs who are paid the big money to finish. And based on talent level, they all deserve to play at crunch time. The problem with that is our defense suffers, our rebounding suffers, and I really don't think we get the benefit of having 5 offensive options in the 4th because we are usually miliking the clock and our offensive seems to stagnate--lots of clearouts for Dirk or Fin or Walker. On plays like these, our other 4 offensive studs may as well be cardboard cutouts.

When you come to this conclusion, it makes you wonder if a trade is ultimately the only solution. Lose some of your offensive weapons so you CAN have some defense and rebounding on the court at the end of games.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]
NewMexiMav is offline   Reply With Quote