View Single Post
Old 01-03-2019, 08:19 PM   #69
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevinHarriswillstart View Post
Unfair on which side?
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricaLubarsky View Post
Trade seems super fair to me.

Porter is the better defender and rebounder-- two things we need desperately. Other than that, talent level is about on par.

Both guys earn about 25mill a year.

Barnes has this year and a player option for next year which he'd be dumb to turn down.
Porter has basically the same contract but with one more year (player option after NEXT season)

Barnes: 18.5 PPG / 4.2 RPG / 42.1% 3P
Porter Jr: 11.6 PPG / 5.5 RPG / 36.7% 3P

Porter Jr is a better overall defender than Barnes, but Harrison is the stronger defender more capable of guarding PFs, whereas Porter Jr is a guy you mostly want to stick to SFs... Problem is, SF happens to be what Dallas Mavericks Franchise Player Luka Doncic guards best as well. Not to mention that Barnes is a guy who can step up to be your #1 scorer, whereas Porter Jr is more of a Wes upgrade. When you factor in Harrison's scoring upside with his overall defensive fit next to Luka, PLUS the fact that he has one less overpriced year on his contract, I'd rather just ride HB until he expires (or the long shot that he opts out this summer).

Don't get me wrong, I'm all about trading Harrison for the right piece, but I don't really see Porter as that piece. Seems too lateral, even before considering price/years. Like, maybe it works if you can somehow trade Wes+ for a steady scorer at the PF position, but Barnes-for-Porter Jr only works as a follow-up trade. I certainly wouldn't start there, especially not when you consider the FAs available over the next 2 years. I think a lot of guys will gladly take that cap space to play next to Doncic.

But if we're talking about Wes as the centerpiece in a Porter Jr trade? Absolutely.

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.

Last edited by Underdog; 01-03-2019 at 08:32 PM.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote