View Single Post
Old 11-29-2004, 05:40 PM   #35
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE:Notebook: Nelson will give Johnson control against Spurs

Quote:
Originally posted by: kg_veteran
I like the move by Nellie. To me, we finally have a club that APPEARS to be trying to get ready for April rather than gimmick their way to wins in November.

Nellie knows that Avery's going to take over when he's gone. He also knows that it MAY be a year or two before the young guys (Howard, Daniels, Harris) mature to the point that the team is ready to win a title. So, he's not only developing the players, he's developing the coaches who will be here in a year or two. Fairly selfless move, I think.

Three things I don't want to hear (but will hear) after Tuesday's game:

1. If we win, that Avery should take over immediately. Sure, it will be really nice if Avery can coach the team to a win against a top notch opponent like the Spurs, but I prefer for Avery to at least coach this year in an assistant's capacity before taking over the reins for good next year.

2. If we lose, that Avery will never be a good coach. One win won't prove that Avery is ready to take over, but one loss won't prove he should never take over, either.

3. If we lose, that this proves that Nelson is underrated, underappreciated, etc. If we lose, Nellie apologists will argue that people always view the grass on the other side as greener when it really isn't. In my opinion, one game won't prove anything about the color of the grass.
Genius. I wholeheartedly agree.

We can talk about the decision that Nellie made, and we can discuss the similarities and differences between Nellie and AJ (in two games), but there really won't be grounds for discussing who the better coach is.

I have my opinion, but I certainly don't think that one game will give us any significant data toward determining who the better coach is.
EricaLubarsky is online now   Reply With Quote