Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 06-18-2002, 08:02 PM   #1
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

players to examine:
Nash
Dirk
Fin
NVE
Raef
Bradley
Griffin
Buckner
Najera
AJohnson
TAW
WANG
EEsch
(missing anyone?)...i guess you can throw in Manning if you want and Newman
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-18-2002, 10:41 PM   #2
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

The minutes should be similar to the end of the year with the following exceptions:

NVE will spell Nash more than he did, but I see him (unfortunately) getting the same amount of minutes.
TAW will take away minutes opportunities from AJ.

but this list of players will be different in a month or so I think so this may be a silly exercise.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2002, 10:44 PM   #3
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

it will be different..however, I think some of the players such as TAW and Griffin..and maybe AJ..players like that..might be interesting to take a look and see who the minutes should be distributed
Old 06-18-2002, 10:54 PM   #4
Drbio
Banned

It's tough to delineate between TAW, Griff, Buck, NVE, AJ, etc in terms of minutes. I think Nellie will be spreading out a lot of those.
Old 06-19-2002, 08:24 AM   #5
madape
Diamond Member

madape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to behold

I get the feeling we may not see Wang here next year at all. That is not necessarily a bad thing. The most likely candidate to take over some of his minutes is Bradley. That is also not necessarily a bad thing.
madape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2002, 08:27 AM   #6
Murphy3
Guru

i would probably agree with you madape
Old 06-19-2002, 08:55 AM   #7
Drbio
Banned

If Wang goes...Nellie would basically be forced to play Bradley or Esch. Hmmm....good point. I think I like this.
Old 06-19-2002, 10:01 AM   #8
Hoopsmeister
Platinum Member

Hoopsmeister has a spectacular aura aboutHoopsmeister has a spectacular aura about

<< If Wang goes...Nellie would basically be forced to play Bradley or Esch. Hmmm....good point. I think I like this. >>

Nellie is not going to be forced to play centers he doesn't think are playing well enough to get minutes. He will just play more small ball.
Corollary #1: If you put the ball through the hoop more than the other guy, you win.
Corollary #2: If you can't do that, get off the floor.
Hoopsmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2002, 10:22 AM   #9
Bayliss

Bayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond repute

And if that's the case, why can't we admit that Nellie won't win in the playoffs doing that?

This year or any year.
Bayliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2002, 10:30 AM   #10
Bayliss

Bayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond repute

Starters
Raef: 30 minutes
Dirk: 35-40 minutes
Griffin: 20-25 minutes
Finley: 35-40 minutes
Nash: 30 minutes

Reserves
NVE: 20 minutes (and never played along side Nash EVER)
Najera: 18-20 minutes (plays the backup 4, some small forward)
Bradley/Esch: 18-20 minutes (do we need a banger or defensive presence?)
Buckner/TAW: 10-15 minutes (whichever one is healthy can play the remainder sf/sg minutes)

No variations. Stick with the starters against everyone and play the same substitution patterns.
Bayliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2002, 10:42 AM   #11
Drbio
Banned

Raef at 30 sounds about right if he can save his 6 fouls.
Old 06-19-2002, 11:43 AM   #12
Hoopsmeister
Platinum Member

Hoopsmeister has a spectacular aura aboutHoopsmeister has a spectacular aura about

<< And if that's the case, why can't we admit that Nellie won't win in the playoffs doing that? >>

Because that assumes
a) We lose Wang
b) Bradley and Esch continue to not deserve minutes in Nellie's mind
c) We don't add a replacement big man.

I do agree that if Dirk and Raef are the only big men Nellie plays for significant minutes, the team won't get any more successful. But Bradley is capable of earning more minutes from Nellie, we saw it year before last. Esch is still relatively young and was beginning to earn more minutes before he got hurt, so he might earn more minutes next year. Wang seems to be interested on improving his game and as a RFA is likely to be back next year; if the Mavs do let him go or lose him, I expect they will focus more on bringing in another big man if they aren't doing so now.
Corollary #1: If you put the ball through the hoop more than the other guy, you win.
Corollary #2: If you can't do that, get off the floor.
Hoopsmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2002, 02:33 PM   #13
Drbio
Banned

Does anyone really have a solid idea of why Nellie hates Bradley so much?
Old 06-19-2002, 02:45 PM   #14
Murphy3
Guru

part of it has to be that bradley came out with a negative attitude.
more of it has to do with nellie's like of small ball.

he can get away with not playing bradley if he acts pissed at him when in all actuality it probably has more to do with him just wanting to play small ball.

He doesn't have to answer questions about not playing bradley if he just blames it on bradley instead of just admitting that he loves to play with 3 guards in there
Old 06-19-2002, 04:57 PM   #15
David
Golden Member

David is on a distinguished road

<< Starters
Raef: 30 minutes
Dirk: 35-40 minutes
Griffin: 20-25 minutes
Finley: 35-40 minutes
Nash: 30 minutes

Reserves
NVE: 20 minutes (and never played along side Nash EVER)
Najera: 18-20 minutes (plays the backup 4, some small forward)
Bradley/Esch: 18-20 minutes (do we need a banger or defensive presence?)
Buckner/TAW: 10-15 minutes (whichever one is healthy can play the remainder sf/sg minutes)

No variations. Stick with the starters against everyone and play the same substitution patterns.
>>

Why not just mail the other teams the playbook and make it easy all the way around? Go ahead and have a deep versatile team but don't use it to your team's advantage. I'm glad Nelson doesn't think inside the box like you do.
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2002, 04:58 PM   #16
Base Line Guy
Golden Member

Base Line Guy is on a distinguished road

Bradley needs to be sent to UTA. Even you know this MADAPE.

BLG
Old 06-19-2002, 06:04 PM   #17
Murphy3
Guru

david, you're right..it isn't that cut and dry..but, i think the idea of this thread is the average..and obviously you won't hit the average on a day to day basis
Old 06-19-2002, 06:41 PM   #18
Drbio
Banned

good call murph....average thingy....

I am all for sending Bradley to Utah. He would see some court time there.