Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 06-27-2005, 11:07 AM   #1
uberfan
Golden Member

uberfan has a spectacular aura aboutuberfan has a spectacular aura about
Default The State of the Mavs

Draft day will tell us a lot about the State of the Mavs. I fully expect the Mavs to try and get two picks in this draft.

Here's why:

Hendu, DA, Bradley and likely Finley gone leave 8 from the playoff roster.

JET
Devin
Stack
Marquis
Josh
Dirk
KVH
Damp

Of that group, Stack or KVH might be tradeable without creating more holes. Stack only if you feel you can at least replace him and Finley from the group that will be waived under the one-time event triggered by the new CBA.

KVH has more trade value at the trade deadline because the Mavs will have paid most of his salary this year, gives us more time to assess our actual needs at that time, and what kind of contracts we would be willing to take back. Waiting on trading KVH also gives us time to see if he is a valuable contributor and, if so, see if he could be brought back the following year for a "friendlier" contract.

I want JET to be my eventual 6th man/combo guard for years to come.

It's too early to trade Daniels or Harris without getting a sure-thing back in return, as in sure to take us to the next level. I still think Harris is the future starter at PG. Daniels may be the future starting SG, but even if he is only the backup SG/SF/PG he has great valuable as a role player. His defense needs work, but he does get into the passing lanes for deflections and steals.

Some people will be upset that Finley will be let go for nothing, but thinking logically that is the best move. Trading Fin for equal contracts will not necessarily bring back what the Mavs need in talent or role players. It certainly wouldn't be for expiring contracts to free up cap space, so why make a trade just for the sake of making a trade? In other words, a trade could very likely bring back longer term and worse contracts without filling needs.

TAW hopefully gone as well. Leaving the two developmental guys. If one is ready to contribute this year, great. Otherwise both should go to the Mavs' NBDL team until ready next year or if needed due to injuries later in the year.

Finding an effective athletic big man in free agency will be expensive, and cost most if not all of the MLE and require signing for a few years (3?). Especially if you do not think that either DL or Pavel will be ready this year. If you think that DJ and Pavel will be ready in 2 years then you have created a log-jam at the 4-5 so someone will need to be traded in 2 years.

Mavs will still be over the cap for at least 3 years to come.

Signing several (up to 4?) vet minimum guys to fill out the roster for the foreseeable future. Signing a backup center at vet minimum for one year might make some sense, as does a vet SF/PF in the event that you plan on moving KVH at some point. PG minutes need to go to Devin, JT, and even Daniels, unless....

We pick up another PG in this draft. It is heavy in PGs. If Harris is your eventual starter we will still need a quality and dependable backup. Look at the years we had Nash but were exposed at backup PG in the event of a significant injury.

It is also heavy at PF and SF. I would take either one, the best available.

Ideal time to pick a couple of more developmental guys who are far enough along that the can be developed on the active roster.

Then round out the active roster with one or two guys signed at vet minimum.

All in all the State of the Mavs is in pretty good condition today but at a critical point in time. Mavs Brain Trust needs to think ahead and not one year at a time. Now is the time to solidify the future of the Mavs.

uberfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-27-2005, 11:21 AM   #2
aexchange
Boom goes the Dynamite!

aexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant future
Default RE: The State of the Mavs

i think the mavs are secretly hoping diogu falls into a position where they can take him. hometown kid with great all-around heart and hustle.

i liken him to a poor man's chris webber with some defensive upside. dominant in the post and tremendous all around talent. he's a great kid, great character, plus he graduated from my high school.

do it donnie. lets get ike here.
aexchange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2005, 12:32 PM   #3
DubOverdose
Diamond Member

DubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant future

My brother and I have a strong feeling the Mavs are going to trade for a top 10 pick. I really can't wait to see how everything turns out.
DubOverdose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2005, 12:39 PM   #4
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

grndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond repute

With the possibility of waiving Finley looking more and more likely, it wouldn't at all surprise me to see the Mavs get involved in something on draft day. Trading/buying into the draft could be one of the more effective strategies for filling out the roster given the paucity of free agent resources available to the Mavs this offseason.

And aex, I've thought about Ike, too. My hunch is there's a good chance that he could be had fairly cheap, and would be able to fill out the backup PF spot nicely, freeing the Mavs to put that expiring contract of Keith's to good use.
Old 06-27-2005, 12:40 PM   #5
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

FilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the rough
Default RE:The State of the Mavs

Who do they trade to get that 10th pick? Devin Harris and Josh Howard aren't being touched hopefully and I can't see a team trading their future for Stackhouse. KVH may be the odd man out but not sure if teams would really trade their future away for cap space in a year. But we'll see.

1996-2005
FilthyFinMavs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2005, 12:56 PM   #6
Nash13
Diamond Member

Nash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud of

With the news of Finley possibly being waived, it wouldn't at all surprise me to see Dallas trade for a star SG. Ex. Pierce or Redd, Hughes, Allen via sign-and-trade.
The wind rises electric. She's soft and warm and almost weightless. Her perfume is sweet promise that brings tears to my eyes. I tell her that everything will be all right; that I'll save her from whatever she's scared and take her far far away. I tell her that I love her. The silencer makes a whisper of the gunshot. I hold her close until she's gone. I'll never know what she was running from. I'll cash her check in the morning.

~The Salesman
Nash13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2005, 01:03 PM   #7
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

FilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally posted by: Nash13
With the news of Finley possibly being waived, it wouldn't at all surprise me to see Dallas trade for a star SG. Ex. Pierce or Redd, Hughes, Allen via sign-and-trade.
Wouldn't Mike Redd be Finley all over again? Maxing out a player whose in the 26 year old range and Redd isn't even as athletic as Finley was at 26. I see us if not letting Daniels develop drafting a 2 guard.

1996-2005
Old 06-27-2005, 01:09 PM   #8
Nash13
Diamond Member

Nash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally posted by: FilthyFinMavs
Quote:
Originally posted by: Nash13
Wouldn't Mike Redd be Finley all over again? Maxing out a player whose in the 26 year old range and Redd isn't even as athletic as Finley was at 26. I see us if not letting Daniels develop drafting a 2 guard.

He's not Finley all over again b/c he doesn't rely on strength or athleticism to score. With the handy-dandy CBA, we'd only have him until he's 31, around the time injuries took its toll on Finley.
The wind rises electric. She's soft and warm and almost weightless. Her perfume is sweet promise that brings tears to my eyes. I tell her that everything will be all right; that I'll save her from whatever she's scared and take her far far away. I tell her that I love her. The silencer makes a whisper of the gunshot. I hold her close until she's gone. I'll never know what she was running from. I'll cash her check in the morning.

~The Salesman
Nash13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2005, 01:18 PM   #9
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

grndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not terribly interested in Redd. I think he's overrated, and that there are going to be some other teams willing to give up considerbly more than he's worth to get him.
Old 06-27-2005, 01:22 PM   #10
LRB
Guru

LRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to behold

I think Cuban is trying to get the Mavs back into the lottery so he can make some bucks and build some talent on the cheap side. I wouldn't be surprised if all we added to the team is undrafted FA's with nonguarranteed contracts. Look for Dirk to be traded for an expiring contract and Terry, Stack and KVH will be gone as soon as their contracts expire. Probably won't resign Josh either. Here come the 90's all over again.
Old 06-27-2005, 01:33 PM   #11
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: LRB
I think Cuban is trying to get the Mavs back into the lottery so he can make some bucks and build some talent on the cheap side. I wouldn't be surprised if all we added to the team is undrafted FA's with nonguarranteed contracts. Look for Dirk to be traded for an expiring contract and Terry, Stack and KVH will be gone as soon as their contracts expire. Probably won't resign Josh either. Here come the 90's all over again.
I really hope not. I see Cuban now making moves to cut money and to do so he was willing to part with Nash. I was fine with that move since we had Harris under the wings but something now just gives me an uneasy feeling.

1996-2005
Old 06-27-2005, 01:48 PM   #12
HexNBA
Golden Member

HexNBA is a name known to allHexNBA is a name known to allHexNBA is a name known to allHexNBA is a name known to allHexNBA is a name known to allHexNBA is a name known to allHexNBA is a name known to allHexNBA is a name known to all

I hope that post was meant sarcastically
Old 06-27-2005, 02:04 PM   #13
The Miles

The Miles is on a distinguished road

Quote:
think the mavs are secretly hoping diogu falls into a position where they can take him. hometown kid with great all-around heart and hustle.
That would be awesome. Danny Granger and Ike Diogu are the two guys I would love to realistically (ie not Bogut or Marvin or Deron, etc..) have here out of this drafr.

As for Redd, put me in the no thanks class on that one, I would much rather just keep Michael Finley than last Finley go and spend the saved cash in flipping Van Horns contract for Redd. Now Paul Pierce is another story all together, that guy is an all around stud that can combat guys like TMac in the playoffs head to head.

"When you (Coach Johnson) get behind your players like that it’s something special. He’s the general and we are soldiers, you go out there and want to lay it all on the line…that’s the type of situation I wanted to be in."-Doug Christie
The Miles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2005, 04:48 PM   #14
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I think Cuban is trying to get the Mavs back into the lottery so he can make some bucks and build some talent on the cheap side.
I must say that this is one of the least thought out statements that I've read on here in a long time.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2005, 05:24 PM   #15
Mavdog
Diamond Member

Mavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud of

Quote:
is this frank zacanelli?
Mavdog is offline   Reply With Quote