Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 03-01-2010, 11:59 AM   #1
bobbyfg7

bobbyfg7 is a splendid one to beholdbobbyfg7 is a splendid one to beholdbobbyfg7 is a splendid one to beholdbobbyfg7 is a splendid one to beholdbobbyfg7 is a splendid one to beholdbobbyfg7 is a splendid one to beholdbobbyfg7 is a splendid one to beholdbobbyfg7 is a splendid one to beholdbobbyfg7 is a splendid one to beholdbobbyfg7 is a splendid one to beholdbobbyfg7 is a splendid one to behold
Default Dampier says the right things

This is what I wanted to hear from Damp. Really hope RC can find a happy medium for these two big guys.

Quote:
Dampier: 'We both just want to win.'
by Jeff Caplan

DALLAS -- Erick Dampier still isn't sure when he'll be cleared to practice, but he made progress Sunday night when the bulky brace he's worn the last two weeks to protect his healing dislocated right middle finger came off for good.

The 6-foot-11 center's long finger is now wrapped in a bandage from knuckle to knuckle. Six stitches remain inside the surgically repaired finger and another six remain outside.

"The next step is trying to get full range of motion," Dampier said.

When Dampier is ready to return to action, don't expect a controversy to flare up as to whether Dampier should regain his starting job from Brendan Haywood. The newly acquired 7-foot center has fit in quickly and seamlessly in his first eight games, averaging 11.3 points, 10.5 rebounds and 2.6 blocks in 34 minutes. Haywood has been terrific catching passes from Jason Kidd and finishing with authority. He's already recorded a 20-rebound game, he had five blocks against the Lakers and is averaging nearly four offensive boards a game.

Dampier, who was averaging 7.1 points, 8.5 rebounds and 1.5 blocks in 26.4 minutes before suffering the gruesome injury in the first game back from the All-Star break, said he'll abide by coach Rick Carlisle's decision, even if it means the 14th-year center, who has started all 39 games he's played this season, is asked to come off the bench.

"It doesn't matter," Dampier said. "We both just want to win."

The Mavericks (39-21) take a league-best seven-game win streak into Charlotte (28-29) for a 6 p.m. tip tonight. Haywood will make his seventh consecutive start.

Easing the transition for the two big men is their past relationship and respect for one another. The two have worked together for four summers at the Clifford Ray and Robert Parrish Big Man's Camp in Bradenton, Fla. When Dampier is asked about his fellow headband-wearing center's hot start while Dampier is helplessly sidelined, Dampier sounds wholeheartedly genuine when he says he's happy for Haywood and not surprised.

During timeouts, the always nattily attired Dampier is often seen talking with Haywood, who has come in level-headed and said he's looking forward to Dampier's eventual return.

This wouldn't be the first time Dampier lost his starting job. In 2005-06, Avery Johnson turned to a younger, more agile DeSagana Diop. It was Diop who started in the 2006 Finals against Shaquille O'Neal. Dampier eventually won the starting job back the next season and has kept it since.

Dampier knows his sixth season with Dallas could be his last. He hears the high praise Haywood has received for his early work and understands that the 30-year-old who spent eight-plus seasons in relative obscurity in Washington could ultimately replace him on the roster.

But, Dampier also recognizes the direction the team is headed since the trade. He reiterates his desire to compete for a championship and said he'll approach his return and Carlisle's decision the same way he's always approached his long career.

"Low ego," Dampier said.
“They gotta come through Texas first. We’ll see what happens. I’m still mad about the ’06 Finals. LeBron just walked into a fire he doesn’t know about.” - JET (said at the beginning of the '10-'11 season)
bobbyfg7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-01-2010, 12:04 PM   #2
92bDad
Platinum Member

92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future

Looking forward to a rotation of the 2 best Centers in Mavs history!!!
92bDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 12:05 PM   #3
MavsX
Diamond Member

MavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond repute

nice guy
MavsX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 01:05 PM   #4
jacktruth
Golden Member

jacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud of

I don't see why Damp can't play with a splint on his hand. He can't catch anyway.
jacktruth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 02:15 PM   #5
Kidd Karma
Diamond Member

Kidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacktruth View Post
I don't see why Damp can't play with a splint on his hand. He can't catch anyway.
Yea, 4 on 5 offensively anyways, just high post him and let him set picks, he can block out and allow our guards to snag the boards, or maybe one arm them.
Kidd Karma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 02:02 PM   #6
xrobx
Diamond Member

xrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond repute

any timetable for a return yet?
xrobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 02:43 PM   #7
BGMaverick9
Guru

BGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond repute

All I know is it'll move Eddie back to a more natural position and I think we'll see less zone. I don't really remember instances where Damp is on the floor and we go zone...?

Haywood deserves more of the minutes but Damp definitely deserves 16-18 minutes on the floor.
Old 03-05-2010, 03:02 PM   #8
xrobx
Diamond Member

xrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGMaverick9 View Post
All I know is it'll move Eddie back to a more natural position
the bench?
xrobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 04:03 PM   #9
sefant77
Guru

sefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGMaverick9 View Post
All I know is it'll move Eddie back to a more natural position and I think we'll see less zone. I don't really remember instances where Damp is on the floor and we go zone...?

Haywood deserves more of the minutes but Damp definitely deserves 16-18 minutes on the floor.
At least his knee should be better now with the break....
sefant77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 04:11 PM   #10
SMC0007
Guru

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrobx View Post
the bench?
haha

you just proofed how stupid you are - CRAZYBOY
SMC0007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 05:39 PM   #11
nowhereman
Diamond Member

nowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond repute

While Haywood may be a more gifted individual player, I think Damp's knowledge of our schemes and familiarity with other players (specifically, Dirk and Jet) means our team is a little better when Damp's been in there than it has been when Haywood's been in there. I base this on #'s and observation.

First, going by the numbers, understanding the sample size, opponent quality, and practice time factors implicit in these numbers, our raw output has been OUTSTANDING with Damp in the game, something even more punctuated by the fact that our output was terrible with Gooden in the game. Nothing against Gooden, who I believe contributed significantly to the team, but there were things we need out of the center position next to Dirk that he didn't provide (quality screens - Gooden would tend to break them and roll too fast before the player was appropriately picked off... muscular defense... consistent defensive rotation). Haywood has been a tremendous positive as well, but our team is just dynamite with Damp in.

Unadjusted stats:
http://basketballvalue.com/teamplaye...r=ASC&team=DAL

http://basketballvalue.com/teamplaye...=DESC&team=DAL

Adjusted stats:

Second, I think our best stretch of basketball was actually at the beginning of the season, starting with the back to back in LA. As good as I feel about the team right now, sometimes I feel like this current team is clawing out wins, while that team was consistently putting in dominant lock-down performances. Damp was a significant anchor back then... That might of course have partially been because other teams weren't quite acclimated to their offense yet as it usually takes about 20 game into a season for many teams to hit their stride.

So I'm going to offer something that I suspect isn't going to be popular. While the team should play the matchups, our starting center should still be Damp.

Quote:
RT @TyLawson3 Good game between Dallas and Portland. Good thing we didn't end up getting Dallas. Coach Karl lost his mind.
nowhereman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 06:30 PM   #12
sefant77
Guru

sefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond repute

I dont care who is better, i know Damp is really important.

Really important is that we have 2 good defensive center, one more mobil the other more experienced and without injuries we have 48min without potential foul trouble in there and thats huge.

Right now Haywood have to play careful not to pick up quick fouls, with Damp both can play hard.
sefant77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 07:11 PM   #13
LonghornDub

LonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond repute

Damp sets better screens than Hay. Just saying.

"Your'e a low-mentality drama gay queen!!" -- She_Growls
LonghornDub is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bench, damp, haywood, rotation