Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Trade and Draft Board

Old 07-16-2004, 03:09 PM   #1
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute
Default Walker for Nick straight up?

If we lose out on Damp, would you guys do Walker for Nick straight up?

DevinHarriswillstart is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-16-2004, 03:31 PM   #2
Jamisonite
Golden Member

Jamisonite is on a distinguished road
Default RE: Walker for Nick straight up?

I dont know about that one. I think we can get more for Walker than NVE. If they give us a pick id be down for it
Old 07-16-2004, 03:38 PM   #3
uberfan
Golden Member

uberfan has a spectacular aura aboutuberfan has a spectacular aura about
Default RE:Walker for Nick straight up?

Quote:
Originally posted by: DevinHarriswillstart
If we lose out on Damp, would you guys do Walker for Nick straight up?

OK, I know this is a trick question. What am I missing here?
uberfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2004, 03:41 PM   #4
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

FilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the rough

Mavs need a big man. Walker is the Mavs biggest trade bait right now. When you give up Walker you better be getting something that benefits you in return at the 5 spot.

1996-2005
FilthyFinMavs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2004, 03:41 PM   #5
DCowboysGal

DCowboysGal is on a distinguished road

GS doesn't need Walker. They're already loaded at PF with solid young rebounding-machine Troy Murphy and a good rookie with upside in A. Biedrins. Walker can't play C because he's too short and GS has A. Foyle there anyway, and he can't play SF because he's too big and slow and GS has Mike Dunleavy there anyway.
DCowboysGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2004, 03:44 PM   #6
endtroducing
Golden Member

endtroducing is on a distinguished road

uh...golden state isn't loaded ANYWHERE. I'm sure they would welcome an all-star with an expiring deal for a point guard they want no part of...
Old 07-16-2004, 03:46 PM   #7
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

FilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally posted by: DCowboysGal
GS doesn't need Walker. They're already loaded at PF with solid young rebounding-machine Troy Murphy and a good rookie with upside in A. Biedrins. Walker can't play C because he's too short and GS has A. Foyle there anyway, and he can't play SF because he's too big and slow and GS has Mike Dunleavy there anyway.
I agree they may not want Walker but like entroducing said they aren't loaded anywhere. Not even the point guard position which they have 3 pg's at. You must've forgot that Jamison and Arenas left the Warriors a year ago.

1996-2005
FilthyFinMavs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2004, 04:03 PM   #8
DCowboysGal

Where would they play him then? T. Murphy is a way better rebounder and defender at PF than Walker and fits with GS's shift to a more defensive-minded approach evident in the fact they're starting A. Foyle at C who is a good rebounder and shot-blocker and they drafted a hard-nosed physical rookie PF in A. Biedrins. Walker is mediocre defensively. I suppose they could bring him off the bench. And Walker was an All-Star 6 years ago in '98...
Old 07-16-2004, 04:10 PM   #9
Stressboy

Stressboy is a jewel in the roughStressboy is a jewel in the roughStressboy is a jewel in the rough

If you look from just a tradable piece, them NVE is better next summer if the team opt-out is later in the summer. That way, we could trade him during the draft and then a team instantly gets to dump 12-14mil in cap during the summer. Just think how valuable that could be for getting a player like Z if they really wanted to keep boozer. Its almost like having cap space except you have to get the salaries to match up.

Stressboy
Stressboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2004, 04:11 PM   #10
endtroducing
Golden Member

endtroducing is on a distinguished road

all of those players are unproven...mullin fired musselman because he really wants to win, and win now. you're not going to win shit with troy murphy starting at PF for you. I don't like walker, but he's a lot better than the shit GS has thrown out on the court the pass two years...you're crazy if don't think GS would jump on that. with a line-up of foyle, walker, richardson, fisher, and dunleavy...you've got a decent chance at a .500 record, and they'd have a really deep bench and a lot of cap room next year for mullin to go crazy with. i highly doubt they would start a rookie at PF...in the west, no less.
Old 07-16-2004, 04:19 PM   #11
DCowboysGal

What's with the swearing? And I didn't say they were going to start Biedrins, did I? They're going to start Murphy who isn't exactly
"unproven" - 3 years in the league, 2002-2003: 10.2 rpg, 11.7 ppg.
Old 07-16-2004, 04:46 PM   #12
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

I dunno. Beidrins is playing very well in the summer leagues (I know it's summer leagues but still) One of his fortes is defense, something that Murphy isn't very good at. I'm actually interested to know wher Murphy will play. He is big enough to play center, and with no Damp, and Foyle's injury history, you might want to bank on that. With that said, I think Walker would be a welcome addition there. Remember that Walker is a 20 point 8 rebound 4 assist a night guy. Considering his contract is only for another year anyway, why not?

Old 07-16-2004, 05:07 PM   #13
LRB
Guru

LRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to behold

Just to get rid of Walker I'd trade him for NVE. The fact that we need a vet PG to play in front of Harris for a year is a great bonus. Sure I'd rather have a nice big man, but I really don't see anyone trading a nice big man for the Walker pile of garbage, expiring contract or no expiring contract.
Old 07-16-2004, 05:24 PM   #14
jayC
Diamond Member

jayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nice

No i wouldn't trade Walker for Nick. Rule number one you never trade young and big for old and smalll. I would however trade stackhouse and laetner for Nick. Trade Walker for some type of big man.
jayC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2004, 06:14 PM   #15
bzerangue

bzerangue is on a distinguished road

I agree with FilthyFinMavs post earlier that we can get more for Walker than just NVE. Don't get me wrong, I loved Nick the Quick when he was here, but we need some front court help and point guard help. I suggest the Mavs look at the teams who are severely trying to clear cap space... one thought New Jersey. With the trade of Kenyon Martin to the Nuggets for 3 lousy draft picks and their unwillingness to re-sign Martin, plus the NJ's new ownership saying they want to clear out cap space and build around Jefferson... the Mavs need to see if they can pry Jason Kidd off their roster. It was reported by ESPN that Kidd was not a happy camper by the ownership's lack of focus on a championship this year. Also, Rod Thorn the GM stated that he doesn't think NJ will be a contender for a championship... well.. Kidd wants a championship... and could demand a trade.... We could be able to get Kidd by dangling Walker's expiring contract along with Delk and Stefansson. I don't know if the $'s work out... that might seem like too little... but hey the gave up Kenyon Martin for 3 lousy draft picks. Yeah, I know someone will say... hey their 1st rounders. Yeah, 1st rounders in today's draft mean jack-squat! The draft is crap-shoot since team's have taken flyers on unproven talent from Europe and High School. Therefore, the odds of them getting an impact player from those picks is low.

The Mavs also need to address the big man situation. I would aim for Kurt Thomas in New York. Or Big Z in Cleveland.
bzerangue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2004, 06:32 PM   #16
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: LRB
Just to get rid of Walker I'd trade him for NVE. The fact that we need a vet PG to play in front of Harris for a year is a great bonus. Sure I'd rather have a nice big man, but I really don't see anyone trading a nice big man for the Walker pile of garbage, expiring contract or no expiring contract.

LRB, I heard Donnie on the radio this week say that they are looking for a "backup PG." I think they are ready to go to the season with the Harris/Daniels combination.
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2004, 07:45 PM   #17
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

Quote:
Originally posted by: chumdawg
Quote:
Originally posted by: LRB

LRB, I heard Donnie on the radio this week say that they are looking for a "backup PG." I think they are ready to go to the season with the Harris/Daniels combination.
Good. I'm confident in the Harris/Daniels rotation.

Old 07-16-2004, 08:10 PM   #18
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
We may only win 45 games this season but Harris will be a true starter by the end of the season barring any injury. He'll take time and he'll screw up, I'm just glad that Nellie understands that Harris is the future.
EricaLubarsky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2004, 02:16 AM   #19
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

Quote:
Originally posted by: EricaLubarsky
Quote:
We may only win 45 games this season but Harris will be a true starter by the end of the season barring any injury. He'll take time and he'll screw up, I'm just glad that Nellie understands that Harris is the future.
Does Nellie understand that Erica? Maybe Donnie does, but Nellie just has some headache about playing rookies heavy minutes. If we weren't so jammed at the forward spot and we didn't have Marquis come along at the end, I believe Howard would be much further along now. We just have too many players on our roster and we need to somehow get rid of them if we want our players to develop.

Old 07-17-2004, 02:20 AM   #20
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Donnie said they are looking for a backup PG. Unless Nellie has no part of that, then they know.
EricaLubarsky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2004, 03:02 PM   #21
Lvubun1

Lvubun1 is on a distinguished road

I don't see the Mavs getting any big man for Walker, what possible big man can you see a team giving up for Walker. Big men are the hardest thing to come by right now, which is why Foyle who averaged 3 points and 4 rebounds last year got a 40 mill. contract. When people asked Danny Ainge why he traded Walker for overpaid Raef, he said that was his best offer and they wasn't alot of interest, if anything his trade value dropped since then. Cuban was on "I, Max" on Thurs and said that Walker didn't fit in and they are looking to trade him, and pretty much said the only team with interest is the Knicks. I fully believe that if their was any decent deal on the table for Walk, it would have been done already. I said the Mavs would never be able to trade Raef, so if they can turn Walker into a big man I wouldn't be too shocked but I don't see it happening
Lvubun1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2004, 05:13 PM   #22
dalmations202
Diamond Member

dalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond repute

The only way I do that deal straight up, is if I realize I am not trading Walker anywhere for a Big, and the end of the summer is here, and training camp is about to open up. NVE is a better fit right now than Walker for the Mavs, but Walker is a Big and 3-time Allstar, and you don't trade big for small.

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have". Gerald Ford

"Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid." -John Wayne

There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty:
soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.
-Capt. Bob "Wolf" Johnson
dalmations202 is offline   Reply With Quote