Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Trade and Draft Board

Old 05-17-2005, 04:52 PM   #1
Mavs Maniac

Mavs Maniac has a spectacular aura aboutMavs Maniac has a spectacular aura about
Default Draft

Do we have any 1st or 2nd round draft picks this year?
Mavs Maniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-17-2005, 05:16 PM   #2
Stressboy

Stressboy is a jewel in the roughStressboy is a jewel in the roughStressboy is a jewel in the rough
Default RE:Draft

We have no picks this year. Does not mean we cannot obtain one.
Stressboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2005, 09:58 AM   #3
kingrex
Platinum Member

kingrex is a jewel in the roughkingrex is a jewel in the roughkingrex is a jewel in the roughkingrex is a jewel in the rough

Who can the Mavs give up that someone would be willing to give a draft pick for?
kingrex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2005, 10:04 AM   #4
uberfan
Golden Member

uberfan has a spectacular aura aboutuberfan has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally posted by: kingrex
Who can the Mavs give up that someone would be willing to give a draft pick for?

Picks can be bought if another team is willing to sell.

uberfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2005, 10:15 AM   #5
kingrex
Platinum Member

kingrex is a jewel in the roughkingrex is a jewel in the roughkingrex is a jewel in the roughkingrex is a jewel in the rough

Which team is so hard up on money that they would sell their pick?
Old 05-19-2005, 12:44 PM   #6
argo

argo is on a distinguished road

how about the Knicks, the last pick in the draft.

maybe the Morris kid at Kentucky would be available
argo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2005, 01:09 PM   #7
uberfan
Golden Member

uberfan has a spectacular aura aboutuberfan has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally posted by: kingrex
Which team is so hard up on money that they would sell their pick?
Don't know. It's been done before. Any team hard up against the cap that is not willing to pay tax is likely. Another thread quoted a thouroughly unreliable source saying that Memphis is looking to sell their first round this year.

Point is, you don't have to trade a player to acquire a pick.
uberfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2005, 04:43 PM   #8
kingrex
Platinum Member

point taken.
Old 05-19-2005, 06:28 PM   #9
fin4life

fin4life is on a distinguished road

I would not be totally shocked if we shipped bradley out for a high second rounder. I wouldnt be in favor of this, but I wouldnt be suprised. There are bad teams out there that could use a quality backup center that have enough cap room to make a trade with a draft pick. Utah might want to do this if they can find a big man in the 1st round, maybe even Charlotte.
fin4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2005, 07:43 AM   #10
bo319

bo319 is on a distinguished road

I can see Bradley being shopped for a 2nd rounder. I just don't think Avery is going to put up with him here. He does not fit what Avery wants in players. Nellie had always been facinated by extremely tall players whether they had much game or not(Manute Bol, Randy Bruer, and Bradley). AJ needs to instill more athleticism and toughness on this team and Big Shawn just can't do any of that.
bo319 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2005, 07:50 AM   #11
aexchange
Boom goes the Dynamite!

aexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally posted by: fin4life
I would not be totally shocked if we shipped bradley out for a high second rounder. I wouldnt be in favor of this, but I wouldnt be suprised. There are bad teams out there that could use a quality backup center that have enough cap room to make a trade with a draft pick. Utah might want to do this if they can find a big man in the 1st round, maybe even Charlotte.

bradley won't get a 2nd round pick. he just has no value in the league.
aexchange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2005, 10:21 AM   #12
SeriousSummer
Golden Member

SeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant future

A second round pick doesn't have any value in this league either. I'm sure you could get a second rounder for Bradley--but that's only worthwhile if there is someone available who 1) you really want; and 2) believe will be picked by someone else otherwise. If a player is likely not to be drafted at all, then you're better off signing him as a free agent than picking him as a second rounder (unless it's a young European that you want to leave overseas for a year or two). If the Mavs believe at all in Pavel or MBenga, then it's probably time to trade Bradley, just to clear some space. I wouldn't be surprised to see Bradley go to Utah for their second round pick.

I imagine the Mavs have some players (like Josh Howard, Marquis Daniels, Pavel and MBenga) that they have their eyes on to make a deal to get if they fall far enough or to sign as free agents. Only time will tell if that possibility eventualizes.

Also, the Mavs have a full roster. Maybe TAW could be bought out or traded (I seem to recall that his remaining years are only partly guaranteed). Otherwise, you'd need to let Armstrong or Henderson leave as they're the only free agents and probably the least important players to retain.
SeriousSummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2005, 01:20 PM   #13
GP

GP is a name known to allGP is a name known to allGP is a name known to allGP is a name known to allGP is a name known to allGP is a name known to allGP is a name known to allGP is a name known to all
Default RE: Draft

Actually, just looking at the way Bradley has played this year means it is time to jettison him. He hasn't given the team anything this year. I was perusing a Phoenix message board and they had some pretty decent draft talk. I wonder if there is going to be any impact players available in this draft. The Mavs did the right thing in trading for Pavel last year. I am not sure there is going to be anything sitting around there that is going to be worth a damned. I think the Mavs should buy out or release both Wahed and Bradley. Armstrong's contract is up so they don't have to worry there. The only question marks is Finley, Van Horn and Dampier. What are they going to do with these guys? Maybe keep them all? Damp could be good next year once he has figured everything out. Van Horn should be healthy and Finley should be untradeable.
GP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2005, 02:18 PM   #14
mavs413
Golden Member

mavs413 is a jewel in the roughmavs413 is a jewel in the roughmavs413 is a jewel in the roughmavs413 is a jewel in the roughmavs413 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally posted by: SeriousSummer
A second round pick doesn't have any value in this league either.
That would be true in past years, but this is going to be one of the deepest drafts in a long time. Because David Stern is trying to make players under 20 inelligible for the draft, there are a lot of high schoolers and freshman declaring for this year's draft. Which means good players will drop down lower than they once were projected (i.e. Josh Howard, Marquis Daniels).
mavs413 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2005, 02:26 PM   #15
SeriousSummer
Golden Member

SeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant future

OK, I exaggerated a little. A second round pick has a "little" value, as does Bradley. The number of players declaring for the draft this year also means that more undrafted free agents will be available to choose from this year.

I'd like to see Dallas do something this year to pick up a young power forward to back up Dirk and KVH. That way the Mavs might have the option to let KVH go at the end of next year if it costs too much to resign him.

If you can't tell from this, though, I think Dallas needs to go with basically the same group next year that we've got this year, and rely on player development and better teamwork to improve.
Old 05-20-2005, 02:38 PM   #16
SeriousSummer
Golden Member

Some power forwards we might pick up as undrafted rookies:

Jason Maxiell
Jawas Williams
Lawrence Roberts
Uros Slokar
Pops Mensah-Bonsu
Taylor Coppenrath
Yiannis Bouroussis

Probably a least a couple of these guys won't get drafted. Or, if you don't like any of them, maybe sign another center prospect. There are a lot of them in this draft (Luke, Schenscher, Moussa Badiane, Lucas Tischer, etc.) who might go undrafted--you can never have too many young center prospects. Only one of them needs to work out.

I don't which of these guys will be worth signing--but I bet Donnie Nelson does.
Old 05-20-2005, 02:44 PM   #17
bo319

bo319 is on a distinguished road

Maxiel while a beast is at best 6-7 and not a PF in the NBA.
Jawad Williams would be where I would look. Tall, athletic, team oriented, can shoot a little, RB, and play some D on at least 2 positions. That is who I would target either in the 2nd or as a UFA.
bo319 is offline   Reply With Quote