Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 03-31-2005, 10:45 AM   #1
She_Growls
Golden Member

She_Growls is a name known to allShe_Growls is a name known to allShe_Growls is a name known to allShe_Growls is a name known to allShe_Growls is a name known to allShe_Growls is a name known to allShe_Growls is a name known to allShe_Growls is a name known to allShe_Growls is a name known to all
Default StarTelegram

Will someone post all the articles today from the Star about the Mavs? I noticed there is a article about Donnie and Nellie in Cowtown..I moved to Denver in November and for some reason I can't access the sports section now...Thanks,

F'em Attitude is back...
She_Growls is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-31-2005, 10:58 AM   #2
vjz

vjz is just really nicevjz is just really nicevjz is just really nicevjz is just really nicevjz is just really nicevjz is just really nice
Default RE:StarTelegram

Mavs hit downtown Cowtown

By Tracey Myers

Star-Telegram Staff Writer

Patrons began gathering about 45 minutes before the game, some dressed in Mavericks T-shirts and others in their favorite player's jersey.

With the outside patio awash in sunlight and a swirling wind, it wasn't the typical game setting. But for those in attendance, it seemed like the Mavericks were right there.

The Mavericks brought their show on the road Wednesday at East Meets West, a game-watching party hosted by 8.0 in downtown Fort Worth. Fans gathered to watch the Mavs play at Boston, and those fans had a chance to win prizes.

Former Mavs coach Don Nelson and his son Donnie Nelson, the team's president of basketball operations, were at the party, as were the Mavs dancers, Mavs Man and others.

Don Nelson, who said he's enjoying his days as a retired coach, tries to get to Fort Worth often.

"We're trying to have a presence here," Don Nelson said. "We think it's an important part of the Mavericks, and we try to do as much as we can in Fort Worth."

Donnie agreed.

"This is [Don's] and my stomping grounds," Donnie said. "With the people of Fort Worth, we're real comfortable here. We have some great relationships from the mayor all the way down, so this is home for us."

Fort Worth fans were quiet until Josh Howard batted away a Boston shot midway through the first quarter. Friends Eric Hanson and Jonathan Patterson had seats in front of the big screen, and Patterson recalled the last time he had a close encounter with the Mavericks.

"I got to get a picture with [former Mavs guard Steve] Nash and Dirk [Nowitzki] when they were over here a few years ago," said Patterson, who still has the picture on his cellphone. "It was one of the best nights of my life."

Rico Johnson and Emily Wallen are converted Mavs fans, who started rooting for the team when they moved here from Austin. Their 10-year-old son -- named appropriately enough, Avery Johnson -- also made the switch in allegiance.

"We are so happy," Wallen said of the watching party.

"We don't miss a game," Rico Johnson said. "If we're not home, we tape them. We tape them all."
Tracey Myers, (817) 548-5481 tlmyers@star-telegram.com
vjz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2005, 11:00 AM   #3
vjz

vjz is just really nicevjz is just really nicevjz is just really nicevjz is just really nicevjz is just really nicevjz is just really nice

Nowitzki, reserves produce road win

By Art Garcia

BOSTON - Twice in the fourth quarter, a fresh Dirk Nowitzki found himself isolated against a former teammate.

He made sure both former Mavericks didn't look good.

Nowitzki left Antoine Walker and Raef LaFrentz looking helpless during a 26-second span, and the Mavs overall were nearly as impressive, running away for a 112-100 victory against the Boston Celtics at the Fleet Center on Wednesday night.

Nowitzki had his highest scoring game (36 points) in nearly three months, as the Mavs beat an Eastern Conference division leader for the second time in three nights. The Mavs are 21-6 against the East and conclude their four-game road trip against Philadelphia (Friday) and Cleveland (Saturday), two more teams in the East playoff race.

"This kind of start on the East Coast is big for us," Nowitzki said after his best offensive showing since a 39-point game Jan. 2 against Milwaukee. "We don't have a lot of games left. We want to show we can win on the road going into the playoffs."

The Mavs (48-23) are 24-11 away from home -- the third-best record in the NBA -- and 6-1 under coach Avery Johnson. Their latest win followed much the same script as Monday's against Central Division-leading Detroit.

The Celtics, tops in the Atlantic Division, fell behind by double digits early, only to close the gap heading into halftime. Boston (38-33) briefly took the lead in the third quarter, although the Mavs had a slight edge by the end of the period.

When the fourth quarter began with Nowitzki on the bench -- just as he was against the Pistons -- the Mavs' second unit took control. Keith Van Horn, Nowitzki's designated understudy, had another solid performance with 21 points in 26 minutes.

The one new variable was Jerry Stackhouse. The prolific sixth man had two steals during a game-turning, defensive-inspired 14-2 spurt, pushing the Mavs' advantage to 94-80 with 6:40 left. The closest Boston got the rest of the way was nine points.

"The second unit that was in there really did a nice job," said Nowitzki, out for all but 16 seconds of the run. "I was on the bench. Mike [Finley] was on the bench. Keith was aggressive, hit a couple of nice shots. Stack had great steals, two back-to-back."

Stackhouse returned from a 12-game injury absence to contribute 11 points and three steals in 17 minutes. One of the steals led to a two-handed, double-pump slam, putting away any doubts about whether his strained groin has healed.

"Avery told me I had two minutes to get something done," Stackhouse joked of his fourth-quarter surge. "That's all I could get."

Nowitzki got considerably more. He capped his 36-minute night with two shots that left the Boston faithful moaning.

With Walker draped over him off the low block, Nowitzki stepped back for a 17-footer off his left leg. On the next possession, he lined up LaFrentz for a 25-foot 3-pointer. Nowitzki pointed into the crowd after both shots.

"Wow, those were nice," Van Horn said. "There's nothing else to say."

Boston is accustomed to similar shooting displays, and a former Celtic-turned-broadcaster compared Nowitzki to a certain Hall-of-Famer whose No. 33 happens to hang in the rafters.

"I wouldn't say all that," Nowitzki said. "Larry [Bird] is a legend."

Though they've won both games on the trip in impressive fashion, the Mavs feel there is plenty of work to do before heading back to Texas.

"Two down," Alan Henderson said. "Two to go."

MAVS 112, CELTICS 100

IN THE KNOW

BREAKDOWN

Why Dallas won: The Mavs dictated momentum for the second straight game on this road trip. They shot better than 50 percent from the field and 3-point range, and better than 80 percent from the line.

Why Boston lost: The Celtics tried to run with the Mavs but couldn't quite keep up and ended up playing from behind most of the game.

Up next: Mavericks at 76ers, 6 p.m. Friday, Fox Sports Southwest

MAVS KEYS TO THE GAME

Walker dimension: Antoine Walker didn't necessarily have a bad game (18 points and nine rebounds) but had only one assist and couldn't stay with Dirk Nowitzki.

Defensive intensity: Josh Howard helped limit Paul Pierce to 12 shot attempts. A 14-2 fourth-quarter run was ignited on the defensive end.

At the point: Jason Terry (12 points and seven assists) played Gary Payton (13 and five) to a standstill.
ONLINE:www.mavs.com
Art Garcia, (817) 390-7760 agarcia@star-telegram.com
Old 03-31-2005, 11:01 AM   #4
vjz

Mavericks Notes

Stackhouse makes early comeback

By Art Garcia

BOSTON - The Mavericks received a boost Wednesday, as high-scoring sixth man Jerry Stackhouse returned to the active lineup nearly two weeks ahead of his personal schedule and three weeks before the start of the playoffs.

Stackhouse scored 11 points in the Mavs' 112-100 win over the Celtics at the Fleet Center.

The roster is still missing one huge piece in Erick Dampier, but the Mavs' starting center is expected back before the team's four-game trip ends Sunday in Cleveland. Dampier's stress fracture in his right foot has healed, and he could be in the lineup Friday against Philadelphia.

Mavs coach Avery Johnson has said he'll take a cautious approach with both Stackhouse and Dampier, hopefully limiting their chances of re-injury before the playoffs. Stackhouse, the Mavs' third-leading scorer, missed 20 of the previous 24 games with a strained right groin and had set April 11 as the target date for his return.

He checked in with 3:05 left in the first quarter Wednesday and logged 17 minutes against Boston. He didn't look hampered by the groin on a fourth-quarter steal and two-handed breakaway dunk, giving the Mavs a 91-80 lead.

"Stack is back, but he's not back," said Johnson, who wants to keep Stackhouse's minutes in the 18-22 range. "He's not back where he's going to get every play run for him. We still have some time now.

"He's back 11 days sooner than the Stackhouse-meter. ... You may see him out there for only six-minute stretches."

Stackhouse joins a crowded shooting guard/small forward rotation with Michael Finley, Josh Howard and Marquis Daniels.

Daniels, who might be used some at point guard behind starter Jason Terry and backup Devin Harris, is trying to stay positive. His minutes and production have fallen off, with three scoreless outings in the last four games. He played only three minutes against Boston, by far his fewest of the season.

"We're going good and we're winning," Daniels said. "I don't want to be a burden on the team [by] moping and crying. I've got to stay upbeat."

Don't push Dirk

For the second time in a week, Dirk Nowitzki shoved and jawed his way to a technical foul. He didn't take kindly to being bumped in the back by Kendrick Perkins early in the second quarter and pushed the Celtics' reserve center.

Nowitzki then got into it with Ricky Davis and former teammate Antoine Walker, and pushed Davis. Fortunately for the Mavs, Walker and Davis also received technicals. The net result: Nowitzki ended up taking and making the one free throw.

Nowitzki and Golden State guard Baron Davis had a similar shoving incident on the Mavs' last road trip.

Mbenga on injured list

The Mavs placed rookie center DJ Mbenga (strained hamstring) on the injured list to make room for Jerry Stackhouse.
Art Garcia, (817) 390-7760 agarcia@star-telegram.com
Old 03-31-2005, 11:18 AM   #5
capitalcity
Diamond Member

capitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant future

Quote:
For the second time in a week, Dirk Nowitzki shoved and jawed his way to a technical foul. He didn't take kindly to being bumped in the back by Kendrick Perkins early in the second quarter and pushed the Celtics' reserve center.

Nowitzki then got into it with Ricky Davis and former teammate Antoine Walker, and pushed Davis. Fortunately for the Mavs, Walker and Davis also received technicals. The net result: Nowitzki ended up taking and making the one free throw.

Nowitzki and Golden State guard Baron Davis had a similar shoving incident on the Mavs' last road trip.
attitude = maturation
I wonder what'll happen when somebody finally swings at Dirk.
Old 03-31-2005, 11:46 AM   #6
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: capitalcity
Quote:

attitude = maturation
I wonder what'll happen when somebody finally swings at Dirk.
I love this stuff.....he's growns up and he's growns up and he's growns up!!!!

what will happen if someone takes a swing? They had better hope they have someone badder than Erick Dampier!

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2005, 05:24 PM   #7
jaxthecracker

jaxthecracker is on a distinguished road

go to bug me not if you want to log into the site.. should work.
jaxthecracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2005, 05:42 PM   #8
bo319

bo319 is on a distinguished road

Damp is big and strong but the guys I would expect to come running looking for a piece of whoever is dumb enough to swing on Dirk is Josh and Stack. They both have that type of attitude IMO.
bo319 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2005, 02:22 AM   #9
sp3nc3r13

sp3nc3r13 is just really nicesp3nc3r13 is just really nicesp3nc3r13 is just really nicesp3nc3r13 is just really nicesp3nc3r13 is just really nicesp3nc3r13 is just really nice
Default RE: StarTelegram

i'd actualy be more worried about marquis daniels pulling out a 9 mm from his jersey shorts...that is if he is even on the court anymore =(
Old 04-01-2005, 08:29 AM   #10
Just211
Platinum Member

Just211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally posted by: bo319
Damp is big and strong but the guys I would expect to come running looking for a piece of whoever is dumb enough to swing on Dirk is Josh and Stack. They both have that type of attitude IMO.
remember when Stack clocked Hornacek. Cheap shot, yes. BUT if he did that as a Mav, in defense of a teammate, it'd be sweet