Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 09-13-2002, 08:18 AM   #1
Usually Lurkin
Diamond Member

Usually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond repute

Now that Miami might be looking for a center, is there anything they have we want?

Grant is all I can see. Would we have to sign Wang at 18 mil to take back Grants salary?

Would you give up Van Exel or TAW, etc. to make it work?

Is there anyone else over there we'd want?

(I'm not going to pretend to know trade rules, shoot this down quickly if necessary.)

-oops. just found the old Wang for Grant thread. All that BYC stuff is too complicated to read. And the opinions of Grant v. Wang are noted there. Guess this reduces this post to:

Is there anyone else we'd want from them that they may now be willing to give up?
Usually Lurkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-13-2002, 08:41 AM   #2
Charlie Brown

Charlie Brown is on a distinguished road

yeah, i proposed wang for brian grant before and it got shot down pretty quickly due to some cba rules. if i truly love the game, i should take the time to study those rules, but for some reason, it's just not a very high priority on my list right now.

but anyways, in regards to your question, here's a somewhat related article from dallasbasketball.com

In Mourning
Miami News Might Affect Wang Zhizhi

By Mike Fisher -- DallasBasketball.com
The horrible news concerning Alonzo Mourning -- Heat coach Pat Riley says Mourning likely will not play this season due to a setback in his battle with kidney disease – impacts the Mavs in two ways.
1) It causes them to count their blessings that their interest in trading for Mourning was never anything more than casual;
2) It opens up another window of opportunity for a Wang Zhizhi move.
Mavs president Donnie Nelson needed to be prompted to mention Wang Zhizhi as a priority for Dallas, and once he did mention him, spoke in vague terms of the Chinese star’s future here.
"We've got a number of teams that have interest,'' Donnie says. "I don't want to speculate as to what teams have the upper hand.’’
In Miami, there is talk of Wang Zhizhi now being on their wish list. Without Mourning, the Heat would have to start Vladimir Stepania at center, or shift Brian Grant over from power forward. Free-agent centers on the market don’t dazzle; Ike Austin and Duane Causwell, Greg Foster, Mark Pope, Zendon Hamilton and Jelani McCoy aren’t difference-makers.
Miami, like Dallas, likely has no shot at stealing Michael Olowokandi from the Clippers.
“We're keeping our 4.5 open for Rashard (Lewis),’’ Nelson says of Dallas, “so we’re not willing to go down that road.’’
The rumor circulates that Golden State could give up a No. 1 pick in exchange for Wang, who could blossom into a cultural icon in the Bay Area.
Now, amid the sadness that surrounds the Mourning news, it is time to examine what Miami might give up in exchange for Wang.
“We’ll still look at the possibility of (Wang) remaining with us,’’ Nelson says. “We won't do anything unless we're satistfied what we'd get in return, or keeping him. But regardless, keep him or sign-and-trade, we have to feel comfortable with our end of the bargain.''

3. Heidi Klum - the source of my perspiration
Charlie Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2002, 08:42 AM   #3
aexchange
Boom goes the Dynamite!

aexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant future

i would only take back caron butler, and they wont trade him.
aexchange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2002, 08:49 AM   #4
Charlie Brown

Charlie Brown is on a distinguished road

i would love to see Brian Grant in a mavs uniform, but i'm not sure if he would fit into the mavs offense . . . dunno. big eddie jones fan, but there's no way we could get him.

3. Heidi Klum - the source of my perspiration
Charlie Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2002, 10:07 AM   #5
seelenjaeger
Diamond Member

seelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to all

lol ...

maybe we should get a little more realistic about Wang - Eddie House might be the one with an equal value ...
Old 09-13-2002, 10:18 AM   #6
MavsFanFinley
Guru

MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute

We might have had a chance (slim) at getting Caron Butler if they hadn't already signed him before knowing Mourning's condition.

Realistically, if we're talking strictly Wang for a player, only Eddie House and LaPhonso Ellis interest me. Since we have enough guards, Ellis would be nice off the bench.

But, I have a feeling that if Miami is the trading partner, we're going to push for a #1 draft pick instead of taking back a player.

I just don't see the Mavs doing a bigger trade with them.
Old 09-13-2002, 10:30 AM   #7
madape
Diamond Member

madape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to behold

Why don't we just call up the T-Wolves and ask about Garnett? I'm sure Minn. would be willing to trade him for a fat-ass scrub who could get shipped back to China any day.
madape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2002, 11:39 AM   #8
pepperfletch

pepperfletch is on a distinguished road

No matter who we trade with, we have to take a player back in order to meet NBA rules. Miami is a weaker fit than Golden State who has more guys to give up we might use and/ or be willing to spend for.

Hey Lurkin...still think we keep him!
pepperfletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2002, 12:14 PM   #9
Usually Lurkin
Diamond Member

Usually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond repute

<< Why don't we just call up the T-Wolves and ask about Garnett? I'm sure Minn. would be willing to trade him for a fat-ass scrub who could get shipped back to China any day. >>

Is Bradley putting on some pounds in preparation for another mission?
Usually Lurkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2002, 12:39 PM   #10
aexchange
Boom goes the Dynamite!

aexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant future

<<

<< Why don't we just call up the T-Wolves and ask about Garnett? I'm sure Minn. would be willing to trade him for a fat-ass scrub who could get shipped back to China any day. >>

Is Bradley putting on some pounds in preparation for another mission?
>>

HAHAHAHA. classic.
aexchange is offline   Reply With Quote