Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Around the NBA

Old 07-26-2004, 09:15 PM   #1
madape
Diamond Member

madape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to behold
Default David Aldridge let go

LOSING DA
Reports are filtering out that ESPN Entertainment has elected not to renew the contract of NBA analyst David Aldridge, basically ending an eight year pairing. The 39-year-old Aldridge joined ESPN in 1996 and has been the networks face for the NBA for years. Aldridge had been a sports reporter for the Washington Post, covering all sports in Washington including the Bullets, Redskins and international events such as the U.S. Tennis Open, Indianapolis 500, and the 1992 Olympics. ESPN has yet to address the news publicly as reports have begun to leak out that come August 28th Aldridge will become part of ESPN history. Depending on whom you listen to, ESPN’s decision was two part, one that David apparently was asking for more money and a larger role – possibly even his own show, and two that the network was going with a younger more “advertiser” friendly set in Andy Katz and Steven A. Smith. Its unclear why the network would shed it single most accurate source of information, but this is also the same network that banks on Chad “If it sticks, It’s news” Ford, who is also getting a larger stage with the DA departure. For all of the DA fans out there, no worries, rumor has it TNT is ready to snatch David up at his asking price and if he wants his own NBA news show, TNT seems ready to make that happen too. Should a TNT deal fall through, do not be surprised to see DA at FOX or more strategically important for the NBA, on NBATV.
madape is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-26-2004, 09:32 PM   #2
Rod1975
Golden Member

Rod1975 is on a distinguished road
Default RE:David Aldridge let go

They're choosing Stephen A. Smith over David Aldridge? Amazing.......[img]i/expressions/anim_roller.gif[/img]
Old 07-26-2004, 09:35 PM   #3
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

I liked David Aldridge. He was often as clueless as the others but at least he looked professional reporting.
EricaLubarsky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2004, 09:39 PM   #4
Jamisonite
Golden Member

Jamisonite is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by: Rod1975
They're choosing Stephen A. Smith over David Aldridge? Amazing.......[img]i/expressions/anim_roller.gif[/img]
Im just as speechless as u
Old 07-26-2004, 09:54 PM   #5
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

I wouldn't choose Stephen Ahole Smith over herpes.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2004, 10:15 PM   #6
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
advertiser” friendly
I thought advertisers wanted you to watch and listen to the TV. Even when I watch Smith I mute him.
EricaLubarsky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2004, 10:16 PM   #7
Just211
Platinum Member

Just211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to all
Default RE: David Aldridge let go

DA must have refused to yell everything he said.
I'm glad he's not with those dipshits anymore. Maybe he'll go somewhere they report news, and factual reports, and not all opinion.
Old 07-27-2004, 06:09 AM   #8
mavsfanforever
Diamond Member

mavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of light

Hopefully DA gets hired by TNT.
Old 07-27-2004, 09:02 AM   #9
sturm und drang
Golden Member

sturm und drang has a spectacular aura aboutsturm und drang has a spectacular aura aboutsturm und drang has a spectacular aura about

Sam Smith makes me wretch. In general, I'm very concerned about the direction ESPN is headed.

While watching the early edition (5:00 am - 6:00) of SportsCenter at the gym this morning, I was subjected to a live Kid Rock performance followed by a Lloyd Banks rap performance. Um, what? Did anyone else have the misfortune of seeing this?

Old 07-27-2004, 09:41 AM   #10
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: Drbio
I wouldn't choose Stephen Ahole Smith over herpes.
funny!

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2004, 12:23 AM   #11
Rod1975
Golden Member

Rod1975 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by: sturm und drang
Sam Smith makes me wretch. In general, I'm very concerned about the direction ESPN is headed.

While watching the early edition (5:00 am - 6:00) of SportsCenter at the gym this morning, I was subjected to a live Kid Rock performance followed by a Lloyd Banks rap performance. Um, what? Did anyone else have the misfortune of seeing this?
I saw it when I turned on the TV manually, but only as long as it took me to grab the remote.
Old 07-28-2004, 10:35 AM   #12
Nash13
Diamond Member

Nash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud of

sturm, they were doing a segment on Athletes trying to do music, and they thought it'd be a good idea to have those two perform.

Back on topic. I maybe in the minority here, but i enjoy Steven A. Smith more than Aldridge. Aldridge had no clue what he was talking about unless he was talking about the Lakers. Plus, i like people that are intense, and Smith is intense.
The wind rises electric. She's soft and warm and almost weightless. Her perfume is sweet promise that brings tears to my eyes. I tell her that everything will be all right; that I'll save her from whatever she's scared and take her far far away. I tell her that I love her. The silencer makes a whisper of the gunshot. I hold her close until she's gone. I'll never know what she was running from. I'll cash her check in the morning.

~The Salesman
Nash13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2004, 03:58 PM   #13
birdsanctuary
Platinum Member

birdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to all

ESPN is turning into the Fricking WWE!
Old 07-28-2004, 04:21 PM   #14
Dooby
Diamond Member

Dooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really nice

Quote:
Originally posted by: Nash13
sturm, they were doing a segment on Athletes trying to do music, and they thought it'd be a good idea to have those two perform.

Back on topic. I maybe in the minority here, but i enjoy Steven A. Smith more than Aldridge. Aldridge had no clue what he was talking about unless he was talking about the Lakers. Plus, i like people that are intense, and Smith is intense.
intensely stupid.
At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

A fool's paradise is a wise man's hell. – Thomas Fuller
Dooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2004, 06:11 PM   #15
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: sturm und drang

Yes, I saw it as well. I turned it off and went to work early.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2004, 06:13 PM   #16
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: Nash13

Stephen A. Smith is a worthless clump of cow crap. Due to community standards, I can't really explain exactly how much I dislike the guy.
Old 07-28-2004, 06:27 PM   #17
Nash13
Diamond Member

Nash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud of

Lets be honest here, with the exception of Marc Stein, nobody on ESPN is credible, so it's not fair to pick out Smith. It's just the tone of his voice when he speaks that makes me laugh.
The wind rises electric. She's soft and warm and almost weightless. Her perfume is sweet promise that brings tears to my eyes. I tell her that everything will be all right; that I'll save her from whatever she's scared and take her far far away. I tell her that I love her. The silencer makes a whisper of the gunshot. I hold her close until she's gone. I'll never know what she was running from. I'll cash her check in the morning.

~The Salesman
Nash13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2004, 08:47 PM   #18
Just211
Platinum Member

Just211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to all

Aldridge is credible, everyone else on that network is shit.
especially Stephen A. Smith.
And I think the reason DA is gonna be gone, is because he's the only one who didn't look comfortable with just stating speculative opinions. He's a true reporter, and journalist.
Old 07-28-2004, 09:13 PM   #19
bernardos70
Diamond Member

bernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: EricaLubarsky
I liked David Aldridge. He was often as clueless as the others but at least he looked professional reporting.
Couldn't agree more.

Stephen A. Smith costs me hundreds of dollars worth of home theater speakers everytime he talks. Damn it, he's louder than loud. He's a noise making machine.
Old 07-28-2004, 09:14 PM   #20
Murphy3
Guru

Where can we complain?
Old 07-28-2004, 11:22 PM   #21
capitalcity
Diamond Member

capitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally posted by: mavsfanforever
Hopefully DA gets hired by TNT.
In studio - or courtside? I can't see DA subjecting himself to Barkley's "in-depth" analysis.

NBATV maybe?