Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Around the NBA

Old 07-21-2003, 10:49 PM   #1
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Arenas to sign offer sheet with the .....WIZ?

Warriors will have 15 days to match

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ESPN.com news services

Restricted free-agent point guard Gilbert Arenas plans to sign an offer sheet with the Washington Wizards, ESPN has learned.

The offer will be for six years and approximately $60 million.

The Golden State Warriors, Arenas' team the past two seasons, will have 15 days to match the offer once it's signed by the point guard.

The Warriors may have to do some heavy salary-cap manipulation, since it appears they currently do not have the cap room to match the Wizards' offer.

Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-21-2003, 10:54 PM   #2
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

Go EAST young man.
MFFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2003, 10:55 PM   #3
Hitman
Golden Member

Hitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to all

That is kind of suprising. Who would want to play for the Wizards? Hell, I am an East Coast guy and I wouldn't want to play for the freaking Wizards.

Put Your Brand On Everyone's Lips: http://www.java-ads.com
Hitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2003, 10:57 PM   #4
Drbio
Banned

It broke about 30 minutes ago. I had to read the headline several times thinking it was a type-o.
Old 07-21-2003, 11:03 PM   #5
Chicago JK

Chicago JK will become famous soon enough

Very interesting. Arenas is a LA kid. I thought he would stay on the left coast. The Wizzards are run as poorly as the Clippers. Very interesting decsion. Do the clipps match A. Miller now.

One more thing, will teams with some cap (SA, utah, etc) try to steal some players from the Warriors to give them some cap room to match the offer for Arenas? Who knows?
Chicago JK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2003, 11:06 PM   #6
MavsFanFinley
Guru

MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Arenas to sign offer sheet with the .....WIZ?

Well, I'm glad he's going to the east. However, I'm very surprised he's choosing the Wizards over Golden State and LA.

Damn, I'll miss watching him play against the Mavs when I catch the games in Oakland.
Old 07-21-2003, 11:12 PM   #7
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

FilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally posted by: MavsFanFinley
Well, I'm glad he's going to the east. However, I'm very surprised he's choosing the Wizards over Golden State and LA.

Damn, I'll miss watching him play against the Mavs when I catch the games in Oakland.

Yea I know. He could become more fo a household name staying in Cali. I must say I am not upset at all for him going to the East Coast. Stayign with the Warriors or going to the Clipps could put some fear in my heart.

1996-2005
FilthyFinMavs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2003, 11:45 PM   #8
MavsFanFinley
Guru

MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute

If the Warriors decline to match, they are in definite need of a pg. The Spurs have showed interest in Boykins, what about Claxton? Is he rumored to be going anywhere? Seems like I remember hearing Utah.

Too bad we couldn't talk them into a NVE for Sura/Dunleavy trade. Obviously, the trade is for Dunleavy to fill the sf position. Sura is in the last year of his contract, but wouldn't be that bad of a pg/sg type player for one year.

The AJ for Fortson deal does nothing for me. Especially since Fortson's contract runs 4 more years, I believe.
Old 07-21-2003, 11:47 PM   #9
Hitman
Golden Member

Hitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to all

Dunleavy has been ripping up the summer league. We aren't going to get him now.

Put Your Brand On Everyone's Lips: http://www.java-ads.com
Hitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2003, 11:57 PM   #10
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

FilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the rough

Anyone mind informing me on Danny Fortson? I hear his D is bad and his rebounding isn't as good as the 12 boards he averaged at one point in his career. For AJ though is it that bad of a risk? The only reason I even consider him is because of his size and his rebounding.

1996-2005
Old 07-21-2003, 11:57 PM   #11
MavsFanFinley
Guru

Quote:
That's what I was thinking, but if the Warriors need a pg, they might be willing. I'm not sure why they'd keep Dunleavy with Jamison taking most the minutes at the same position.

Quote:
Anyone mind informing me on Danny Fortson? I hear his D is bad and his rebounding isn't as good as the 12 boards he averaged at one point in his career. For AJ though is it that bad of a risk? The only reason I even consider him is because of his size and his rebounding.
Fortson was at one time a promising player. I've seen a lot of Warrior games and he does nothing for me. IMO, he's a good example of a player that can succeed in the east, but struggle in the west. He has an attitude as well. There have been several stories on his fights with the coaches about playing time, etc...

I don't see him fitting in with our style of play at all. I can already picture the arguments between he and Nelson. And with his contract running 3-4 more years, I think we can dump AJ for something better.
Old 07-22-2003, 12:01 AM   #12
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: MavsFanFinley
Quote:
That's what I was thinking, but if the Warriors need a pg, they might be willing. I'm not sure why they'd keep Dunleavy with Jamison taking most the minutes at the same position.

I never did understand why they chose Dunleavly in the draft when they had Antawn Jamison unless they were just going for the best player available. Troy Murphy is also starting to emerge. He gained some muscle last year and had a pretty good season. The reason why I bring up Murphy is that it proves that they are loaded at the foward position not to mention the center position. I'd love to get Foyle and Dunleavly or a deal that has one or the other.Sura isn't that bad of a guy to come off the bench with either.

1996-2005
Old 07-22-2003, 12:19 AM   #13
MavsFanFinley
Guru

NVE for Sura/Dunleavy is the best I can work out that would benefit both sides and work cap wise.

A Raef/AJ for Dampier/Mills also works. This isn't that bad either. Dampier has only 2-3 years left on his contract and brings some inside toughness for sure. Maybe not the banger we're all pining for, but still. Mills would be a solid addition at the sf position, plus his contract is up after this season. However, not sure Golden State would want to be strapped with Raef's contract and if AJ is the pg they'd be looking for. Especially with his contract up after this season.

Old 07-22-2003, 08:10 AM   #14
Drbio
Banned

It's official. Arenas signed the Wiz offer sheet today.
Old 07-22-2003, 10:40 AM   #15
Jeremiah

Jeremiah will become famous soon enough

Don't know much about Dunleavy, but I do like Sura as a back up pg. I was at the game in Oakland last year where Raef had a bonanza night. Sura played darn well that game for them. Only time I saw him live, but not the only time I've seen him play well.
Old 07-22-2003, 10:44 AM   #16
Jeremiah

Jeremiah will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally posted by: Chicago JK
Very interesting. Arenas is a LA kid. I thought he would stay on the left coast. The Wizzards are run as poorly as the Clippers. Very interesting decsion. Do the clipps match A. Miller now.

One more thing, will teams with some cap (SA, utah, etc) try to steal some players from the Warriors to give them some cap room to match the offer for Arenas? Who knows?
I deduce that he is looking for the most money the fastest, and an opportunity to start. He's got the opportunity and the ties in GS, but not the money right now, he gets the money, albeit 5 million less which might have a lot to do with the decision, from the clippers, but has to prove himself right along with Marko Jaric. What happens if he doesn't fit in well with the clips? In DC, he gets the most money, and the opportunity to step right into the pg-less Wizards' starting lineup.

That's how I see it.
Old 07-22-2003, 05:15 PM   #17
one long blue sock
Golden Member

one long blue sock will become famous soon enough

If they would have kept Hamilton they would be a really good team.

Now that MJ is gone Kwame Brown can show his skills. And Arenas is a perfect exchange for Lue. But nobody would want Stackhouse with his skills and contract, atleast they might make the playoffs this year.

Gilbert Arenas, pg. Wizards. All-star 03-04