Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 03-22-2002, 01:18 AM   #1
MavsFanFinley
Guru

MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute

I don't like Finley second guessing himself. Couldn't Nelson come up with some better quotes? I'd like to hear about his small ball theory now.

Mavs can't take charge in Midwest
105-102 loss to Spurs drops Dallas into tie for lead

03/21/2002

By JODIE VALADE / The Dallas Morning News

Everything about it was exactly what the Mavericks wanted. The kind of classic battle that comes down to the end, with a wild crowd urged by Michael Finley to scream loud enough to break eardrums, with two 3-point shooting big men pulling out two powerful post players, and all five of their most potent offensive weapons gobbling the bulk of the minutes. Everything was perfect.

Except the ending.

The 105-102 loss to the San Antonio Spurs on Thursday that had the Mavericks clawing through the final seconds for a prayer to be answered at American Airlines Center wasn't perfect.

And it certainly wasn't what the Mavericks wanted, to drop into a tie for the Midwest Division lead with the Spurs, the first time the Mavericks have not held sole possession of first place since Jan. 26. It was the Spurs' 11th consecutive victory.

"That's why you play sports Â* you want to be in a game like this," Dirk Nowitzki said.

Countered coach Don Nelson: "I like to win by 20 points. It's more fun."

But Classic No. 3 in the four-game season series with the Spurs brought another game decided in the final seconds Â* the third time that has happened between these teams this season. The first clash went to overtime in San Antonio, with Steve Nash nailing the game-winner for the Mavericks. The second was decided in the Spurs' favor by two Terry Porter free throws with seconds remaining.

And this one had just as many serious moments, with the battle for the division lead on the line.

"I guess it took us a little big longer to figure that out," Raef LaFrentz said.

Because the Mavericks made only one of their first 11 attempts, admitted to a sluggish start because of a savoring of Tuesday's victory over the LA Lakers, and had to scratch their way back after falling behind by as many as 13 points in the first half.

The other most costly factors: LaFrentz fouling out with 3:51 remaining, a gigantic free throw differential, and Nick Van Exel hitting only one of 12 attempts.

"It was just one of those nights that when they come, you just wish they'd go away as fast as possible," said Van Exel, groaning in the locker room afterward.

Van Exel had his share of opportunities to give the Mavericks the victory in the end. He had a 3-point attempt with 5.6 seconds remaining, a shot that would have given the Mavericks 102-102 tie. He received the pass from Nash on a play designed for whoever was open to shoot the ball.

"There was a lot of hesitation in my mind knowing I had missed those shots earlier," Van Exel said.

The Mavericks also had chances before that. After surrendering the lead on a 3-pointer by Bruce Bowen, Greg Buckner had a chance to tie the score with 19.8 seconds remaining and two free throws. But he missed the second free throw, found the rebound, and passed it out to Finley. Finley fired the shot immediately, and missed a 20-foot jumper.

"After I missed it, I thought I should have taken it out to get a better shot," Finley said. "But I thought I had a good look at the basket."

Said Buckner: "Anytime you get Michael Finley shooting an open jumper, you want him to take it."

The Mavericks' theory of using LaFrentz and Nowitzki to lure Tim Duncan and David Robinson wasn't quite as successful as planned, either. Duncan still had 32 points and 14 rebounds, and Robinson still had 22 points and 12 rebounds.

And the Mavericks didn't seize advantage of a lane free of big bodies to drive to the basket – the Spurs shot 37 free throws to the Mavericks' 16. Some of the difference wasn't because of a lack of aggressiveness, Nelson said.

"I was surprised by the difference in free throws in a big game like this," Nelson said. "We really went to the basket hard, and deserved more respect. I guess you don't get any until you win some playoff games or establish yourself with your younger players getting a few more years under their belts."

Old 03-22-2002, 01:43 AM   #2
ocelot_ark
Diamond Member

ocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud of

Maybe Nelson SHOULD have said, "I was suprised by my stupidity in going with the small lineup for the majority of the game. I really thought I was smarter than that, but golly gee if a squirrel don't shit upside down...what was I saying? Where's the celebratory beer at? What, we didn't win? "
Old 03-22-2002, 01:44 AM   #3
MavsFanFinley
Guru

MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute

Postgame Quotes March 21 vs. Spurs

Mavs Head Coach Don Nelson

It turned out to be a good basketball game even though we didn’t win. I didn’t think we played very well in the first half. We came around in the second half and made a game of it but no one was really in charge and if anyone was, they were. We had the lead a couple of times in the fourth quarter. We never really had a great handle on the game, not sharp enough to beat a really good team. It was a tough loss for us because it has ramifications that I don’t want to envision. You don’t always win the games that you hope to. I was surprised in the differential in free throws in a big game like this. We really went to the basket hard and deserved more respect, but we didn’t get any. I guess you don’t get any until you win some playoff games or establish yourself with your younger players getting a few more years under their belts. It was a hard fought game, one that we didn’t win.

On the Van Exel match-up:

I wanted to create the match-up that I created. Nick (Van Exel) didn’t have a very good game so it didn’t look successful. We know that he is capable of playing well, he just didn’t have a very good game. It did a lot of things I was looking for. The biggest play of the game was LaFrentz fouling out. It put us behind the eight ball. If you look at that play, it was clearly a moving screen but the call went against us that probably cost us the game.

Mavs forward Dirk Nowitzki

We played a good game in the second half. Down the stretch they (Spurs) came up with a couple of more big plays especially that one three-pointer from (Bruce) Bowen out of the corner, which was pretty much the killer for us. Mike (Finley) having a 15-footer with 16 seconds left, we’ll take that shot any day unfortunately it didn’t go down, but we had our chances to win the game. It was a tough loss and now we’re tied with them.

They are a good team and they showed it tonight. Duncan on the low block is pretty well unguardable and that’s why we doubled him and we did a fairly good job of getting the ball out of his hands, but he still scored 32 points and that’s why he is an awesome player.

In the first half we just didn’t compete enough. They were beating us on the glass and played with more heart.

Mavs center/forward Raef LaFrentz

The second quarter really hurt us. We kept fighting to get back in the game in the second half and we made a ballgame out of it.

Their offense is very effective, but we just have to play a little bit better next time.

Our first half wasn’t as nearly as good as our second half, but we didn’t give up and kept scrapping till the very end.

Spurs Head Coach Gregg Popovich

On the game:

Well, every game we play against Dallas seems to be a good one. Two very competitive teams; both very aggressive and there is a lot of character on both teams. Both are playing t owin every time. It is just a great contest every time and it probably always will be. So we're thrilled with the victory that both teams did a great job.

His assessment of how far the team has developed from December to now:

I couldn't be more thrilled with them. We added three new starters with these guys on the perimeter. I frankly thought it would take longer for them to feel comfortable with each other - not only learning the system, but playing with each other. So I've got to be really thrilled that they have progressed to where they are. I think they are going to get better. We have a lot of room for improvement. Given the newness of the players, I couldn't be more happy for them.

On Tony Parker:

Tony is the most mature 19 year-old I have ever seen. When Tim Duncan came at 21, I thought he was the most mature 21 year-old I ever saw and Tony is 19 and is the same way. He just plays the game; he learns every day. When he plays against Steve (Nash) and other point guards in the league he just gets smarter because he has so much to learn. I am really pleased with his progress.

Spurs center David Robinson

On getting this win against Dallas after beating the Lakers Wednesday:

This is real satisfying. These two games with the Lakers and Dallas, two teams that were ahead of us, really gave us a chance to shoot for our short term goal, which is get ahead of the (Midwest) division, so we feel pretty good about these. We are starting to play really solid basketball; playing 48 minutes. These guys never gave up tonight, they kept fighting and fighting, and we hung in there pretty well, so I really feel good about this one.

On the games with Dallas this season coming down to the wire:

They just have such great shooters. They move the ball around and they spread the floor really well, so it really challenges us. It seems like they getup for us. They played great in all three of the games. They have played great down the stretch and hit some shots. We pound the ball inside and they just keep spreading the floor and hitting shots.

Spurs forward Tim Duncan

On the importance of this win and getting the lead in the Midwest division:

It’s huge for us; here on the road in a tough place like Dallas. To come out here and play well on a back to back, just a great improvement for us and a great confidence builder.

On many Spurs players making plays down the stretch:

We had some guys hit great shots all night. I thought David (Robinson) did a great job of hitting his free throws tonight. Bruce (Bowen) hit that big shot, Tony (Parker) hit a big shot; guys were just stepping up and making plays. That is what we have to have down the stretch.
Old 03-22-2002, 02:03 AM   #4
ocelot_ark
Diamond Member

ocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud of

Although I hate the Spurs, you can definitely tell the diffence between LA and SA. SA has more class than the Clippers and Lakers combined.
Old 03-22-2002, 02:19 AM   #5
Kat

Kat is on a distinguished road

I am sooooo tired of hearing the no-calls from the coaches. This is the NBA, get used to it. Sometimes we get the calls, sometimes they get the calls. Don't whine!

The entire row behind me, and one two rows in front, at the game was the front office of the SA. They were great! Showed class, unlike the LA fans on Tues. There were friendly rivals. No dirt being throw in the face. They admitted to loving the Mav's. "it makes for a great game", was one comment. "your team has come a long way", "great arena", "ha, Duncan ran over Dirk", " Dang, Dirk is the next Duncan". All class all the way. Unlike the mud-slinging the Mav's Fans & LA give to one another.
Old 03-22-2002, 08:16 AM   #6
DTL
Diamond Member

DTL is on a distinguished road

<< I am sooooo tired of hearing the no-calls from the coaches. This is the NBA, get used to it. Sometimes we get the calls, sometimes they get the calls. Don't whine! >>

I wonder how much of it is done as part of &quot;working the refs&quot;, off the court, so to speak.
DTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2002, 11:08 PM   #7
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

You really need to work the refs over after games that could have been called differently. We might be meeting the Spurs in the playoffs again.
MFFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2002, 11:09 PM   #8
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

I forgot - the Spurs have a class team. Totally unlike Portland and LA.
MFFL is offline   Reply With Quote