Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 10-12-2004, 07:40 PM   #1
mikeinrowlett

mikeinrowlett is on a distinguished road
Default Fox Sports' Take. Much Mav love.

Sean Deveney's 2004-05 Power Poll
Story Tools: Print Email
Sean Deveney /
Posted: 23 hours ago

1. Pistons. Rasheed Wallace returns with the same core of players and a bigger, deeper bench.

2. Spurs. Were short on long-range clutch shooting last season and are counting on Brent Barry to fix that.

3. Timberwolves. Latrell Sprewell, Sam Cassell and K.G. are the Big Three, but the first two are getting old fast.

4. Pacers. Stephen Jackson brings athleticism and shooting, but he can't carry this team past Detroit.

5. Mavericks. High expectations can be met only if Erick Dampier repeats last season's stellar performance.

6. Rockets. Yao Ming and Tracy McGrady -- either a dynasty in the making or a disaster waiting to happen.

7. Heat. Shaq is here. But where are the reinforcements?

8. Kings. Chemistry? What chemistry? Maybe some bad blood in the locker room will inspire these guys.

9. Lakers. Center and point guard will be problems, but the Lakers have depth. Oh, and they have Kobe Bryant.

10. Jazz. Looks like the post-Stockton-Malone rebuilding plan took all of one year to complete.

11. Nuggets. Kenyon Martin will firm up the inside defense, but Carmelo Anthony will have to share the ball.

12. Grizzlies. Repeating last season's 50 wins will be difficult without a true center on the roster.

13. Suns. Steve Nash will be the perfect guide for the team's athletic youngsters, but defense will be the key.

14. 76ers. They will revolve around Allen Iverson, meaning a healthy, happy Iverson is a necessity.

15. Celtics. Boston is hoping its young players will pan out; in the meantime, it has Paul Pierce and Gary Payton.

16. Trail Blazers. They still are searching for the right outside complement to cornerstone Zach Randolph.

17. Nets. If Jason Kidd shows some professional pride, he could lead a nearly depleted roster to the postseason.

18. Warriors. They are more talented than most think -- new coach Mike Montgomery is the question mark.

19. Bucks. T.J. Ford's injury is one to watch, but the front office has been nimble at finding cost-friendly players.

20. Cavaliers. With Carlos Boozer gone, the Cavs are struggling to put a worthy roster around LeBron James.

21. Knicks. The pieces don't seem to mesh, despite all the well-known names and enormous contracts.

22. Hornets. New coach Byron Scott faces a fractured team and the league's toughest division. Good luck.

23. Wizards. Success hinges on developing center Brendan Haywood and power forward Kwame Brown.

24. SuperSonics. Even with Danny Fortson, the team lacks tough big guys who can rebound.

25. Magic. The rebuilding project will get off to a slow start while Dwight Howard learns the ropes.

26. Raptors. Vince Carter is dragging his team down with his injuries, tentativeness and a bad attitude.

27. Hawks. If streaky shooters Antoine Walker and Al Harrington get a hot hand, this team is no gimme.

28. Bulls. It's Year 4 of the Eddy Curry-Tyson Chandler plan, and the Bulls seem to have gotten nowhere.

29. Clippers. No depth, marginal size and very little interest in defensive effort. Typical Clippers basketball.

30. Bobcats. This team definitely can break the double-digit win barrier.

Not much detail, but seems to realize the great potential in the new lineup.
mikeinrowlett is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-12-2004, 07:43 PM   #2
fin4life

fin4life is on a distinguished road
Default RE:Fox Sports' Take. Much Mav love.

I think that the lakers and Kings were ranked too high
fin4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2004, 08:50 PM   #3
nowitzki_prophecy
Platinum Member

nowitzki_prophecy is a jewel in the roughnowitzki_prophecy is a jewel in the roughnowitzki_prophecy is a jewel in the roughnowitzki_prophecy is a jewel in the roughnowitzki_prophecy is a jewel in the rough

So was Indiana,and again,Detroit... Who cares if they won a championship,their team still isn't that great,not like us(they always got their asses served by ass,pardon my franch),not like SA or the T no longer pupps.
They won because they were the exact team to beat the lakers at that time,not the entire league...
nowitzki_prophecy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2004, 09:06 PM   #4
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Detroit got their asses handed to them? They won one of the two games against us last year, and they shot 51.3% in the win and 55.6% in the loss.

When you play only two games against a team and a team wins half of them, its hard to say you whipped on them.
EricaLubarsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2004, 09:21 PM   #5
nowitzki_prophecy
Platinum Member

nowitzki_prophecy is a jewel in the roughnowitzki_prophecy is a jewel in the roughnowitzki_prophecy is a jewel in the roughnowitzki_prophecy is a jewel in the roughnowitzki_prophecy is a jewel in the rough

Referring to 02/03,before this disaster of a season.
nowitzki_prophecy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2004, 09:35 PM   #6
Bayliss

Bayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Fox Sports' Take. Much Mav love.

At least one writer didn't buy into the hype of Denver, Houston, and Utah. Kind of surprising though.
Bayliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2004, 09:49 PM   #7
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: nowitzki_prophecy
Referring to 02/03,before this disaster of a season.
Different Pistons team
Old 10-12-2004, 10:49 PM   #8
Nash13
Diamond Member

Nash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud of

Quote:
At least one writer didn't buy into the hype of Denver, Houston, and Utah. Kind of surprising though.
I'm starting to buy into the hype of the Jazz. I don't think they're better than Dallas/San Antonio/Minnesota, but they are as good as anybody else.
The wind rises electric. She's soft and warm and almost weightless. Her perfume is sweet promise that brings tears to my eyes. I tell her that everything will be all right; that I'll save her from whatever she's scared and take her far far away. I tell her that I love her. The silencer makes a whisper of the gunshot. I hold her close until she's gone. I'll never know what she was running from. I'll cash her check in the morning.

~The Salesman
Nash13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2004, 11:35 PM   #9
ames7
Diamond Member

ames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to behold

Nice to see someone who isn't all about the Nash-is-gone doom & gloom.

I'm not one for hype, but last year I was one of those trumpeting that the Wolves were gonna crash & burn into a big pile of futile letdown-ness, so I'm taking a longer look this time. I do like Denver. Houston will be better. But I'm still not buying them in a top 4 spot before the Mavs.
Old 10-13-2004, 01:06 AM   #10
fifteenth man

fifteenth man is on a distinguished road

Everybody is overrating the Rockets. They are my pick to be a disappointment.
fifteenth man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2004, 01:14 AM   #11
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

FilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the rough

I thought the reason the Rockets got rid of Franchise was to make sure there would be more touches for Ming? If that is the case than I also see doom for the Rockets. I can't really disagree with this list. I think Pacers are ranked too high but they are a contender for the championship next season so they do need to be recognized.

1996-2005
FilthyFinMavs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2004, 01:30 AM   #12
fifteenth man

I think Yao can still get more touches if they use him correctly. He seems to have a pretty good bball IQ and some pretty good passing skills. If they run some of the offense through Yao, and if TMac learns how to get open when Yao has the ball, then I could imagine that being a pretty good offensive set for them. I'm just not sure if they have enough around their two starts. And I'm not sure Yao has the heart and toughness he needs to carry a team.
Old 10-13-2004, 01:35 AM   #13
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

oh well, I like seeing the mavs in the top five...but I am so sick of these freakin lists!

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2004, 01:41 AM   #14
fifteenth man

Top 5 knuckle heads in the NBA

1) Kobe
2) Artest
3) Bonzi
4) Ricky Davis
5) TAW
Old 10-13-2004, 10:18 AM   #15
giantbenmav

giantbenmav is on a distinguished road

I really like the Jazz this year.........Houston will fail, McGrady will forget he has the second most dominant center in the game and start ball-hogging........Jazz have a lot of good players, and they all serve different purposes.........Still take the Mavs over them though

Go MAVS!!!!
giantbenmav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2004, 11:59 AM   #16
endtroducing
Golden Member

endtroducing is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by: FilthyFinMavs
I thought the reason the Rockets got rid of Franchise was to make sure there would be more touches for Ming? If that is the case than I also see doom for the Rockets. I can't really disagree with this list. I think Pacers are ranked too high but they are a contender for the championship next season so they do need to be recognized.
they've got McGrady for a year...if the experiment fails, he leaves, and they have cap room for another guy to compliment Yao. Redd, Allen and AK47 are all free agents...Houston is really in one of the best situations in the league.
Old 10-13-2004, 12:02 PM   #17
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

FilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally posted by: endtroducing
Quote:
Originally posted by: FilthyFinMavs
they've got McGrady for a year...if the experiment fails, he leaves, and they have cap room for another SG (who doesn't ball hog as much). Redd and Allen are both free agents...

The Rockets would have to be the dumbest team in the NBA to let McGrady walk for free. They can easily trade him to the Bucks for Redd right now. Maybe even get a point guard out of them also.

1996-2005
FilthyFinMavs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2004, 12:04 PM   #18
endtroducing
Golden Member

salaries aren't even close to matching. who would Milwaukee trade with him...Ford (who they won't trade)? Van Horn (who Houston doesn't want)?

it's moot if he walks, anyways. they have the cash leftover to do virtually whatever they want.
Old 10-15-2004, 11:51 AM   #19
jayC
Diamond Member

jayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nice

I can live with those rankings a lot more than ESPN and Sportsline's rankings.

Minnesota can't count on the stellar play of Cassel all season long. If Terry and Daniels can spell nash then this team can win it all if not they will fall just short of the title. But again its early. I can't wait for november 2. Pistons are still going to be good, the question is will they get all the breaks last years team did.

jayC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2004, 10:38 AM   #20
Hitman
Golden Member

Hitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally posted by: fifteenth man
Everybody is overrating the Rockets. They are my pick to be a disappointment.
They are my pick to be freaking awesome. Just a glimpse of the preseason game vs. the Kings and I witnessed TMac pentrating the lane and just tossing it up to Yao.

They are going to be good.

Real good.

Put Your Brand On Everyone's Lips: http://www.java-ads.com
Hitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2004, 12:09 PM   #21
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

I think you are right hitman, houston is going to be very,very good. Yao isn't a vocal leader type and francis was a complete headcase. McGrady seems like a leader but in a way that will mesh well with yao..

Unfortunately the mavs are in one hell of a tough division.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2004, 12:46 PM   #22
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

then I guess the mavs are going to suck...RIGHT? I mean the one preseason game I heard they had 23 turnovers and shot 30something percent!
Houston does not have the horses to Rise to "very, very good" status in my humble opinion. Given time and a few more players they will be contenders, but not yet.

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2004, 03:43 PM   #23
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: sike
then I guess the mavs are going to suck...RIGHT? I mean the one preseason game I heard they had 23 turnovers and shot 30something percent!
Houston does not have the horses to Rise to "very, very good" status in my humble opinion. Given time and a few more players they will be contenders, but not yet.
they are the 21-win Orlando team with the addition of Yao Ming. Will they be good? I wouldnt doubt it, but to say that Houston is much improved is denying that the major additions to the team were starters from the worst team in the league last year.
Old 10-16-2004, 10:49 PM   #24
Captain Disaster

Captain Disaster is a jewel in the roughCaptain Disaster is a jewel in the roughCaptain Disaster is a jewel in the rough

Weren't Terry & Dampier starters for two pretty crappy teams as well?
Captain Disaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2004, 02:07 AM   #25
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

Quote:
Originally posted by: Captain Disaster
Weren't Terry & Dampier starters for two pretty crappy teams as well?
If your argument is that the same argument applies to Dallas, then you don't know the team very well.

If you are pointlessly pointing out that they came from losing teams, then yeah. Lafrentz, NVE, Dampier, terry, Stackhouse....they all came from losing teams.
Old 10-17-2004, 10:04 PM   #26
Captain Disaster

Captain Disaster is a jewel in the roughCaptain Disaster is a jewel in the roughCaptain Disaster is a jewel in the rough

Are ANY of the new additions as good as McGrady?
Old 10-17-2004, 11:33 PM   #27
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

Quote:
Originally posted by: Captain Disaster
Are ANY of the new additions as good as McGrady?
does that really matter?

Do you know anything about these three teams?
Old 10-17-2004, 11:49 PM   #28
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute

houston's offensive potential deceptively makes them look like a pretty good team. houston's lack of defensive potential will result in them never being considered as an elite team IMO. if you think otherwise, because of jeff van gundy's philosophy of coaching.. slow, low scoring, grind it out basketball.. then they would ultimately not be playing to their strengths, T-Mac is an overrated halfcourt, set it up basketball player IMO, if they dont allow him to get in the open court and get in transition then they will go nowhere. If they do somewhat change their philosophy and do run and play fastbreak ball, then they dont have the defensive team to consistently get stops and Yao would never be able to last through an entire game. but yeah, if they open the season on some sort of run, just watch all of the bandwagonners jump on i cant wait.

Contact Me
Twitter: www.twitter.com/alnguyen84
Facebook: www.facebook.com/alnguyen84
alby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2004, 11:49 PM   #29
Captain Disaster

Do you?
Old 10-18-2004, 12:02 AM   #30
seal614

seal614 is on a distinguished road

I think it is tough to underrate McGrady's abilities on the basketball court; in any set. Whether or not he can really make a team of good players better? Who the hell knows, but McGrady is overflowing with talent.

- Brian
seal614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2004, 12:19 AM   #31
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

He has talent, and Im not denying that. Having him (along with Juwan Howard), is no guarantee that you'll make the playoffs, though.

And while Dallas has Nowitzki, Finley, Daniels and Howard returning, the only real talent that Houston will have from last year is Ming and JJ. They traded away all their talented players except for Ming and JJ for a whole new team. We kept our number 1 and 2 guys (as well as our up-and-comers) for more stars.

For Dallas and for Houston, there is no guarantee that the stars that were brought in will bring success, but in the Mavericks case, we have Dirk and Finley returning- two guys that got us to the playoffs the past few years.
Old 10-18-2004, 09:37 AM   #32
endtroducing
Golden Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: EricaLubarsky
He has talent, and Im not denying that. Having him (along with Juwan Howard), is no guarantee that you'll make the playoffs, though.

And while Dallas has Nowitzki, Finley, Daniels and Howard returning, the only real talent that Houston will have from last year is Ming and JJ. They traded away all their talented players except for Ming and JJ for a whole new team. We kept our number 1 and 2 guys (as well as our up-and-comers) for more stars.

For Dallas and for Houston, there is no guarantee that the stars that were brought in will bring success, but in the Mavericks case, we have Dirk and Finley returning- two guys that got us to the playoffs the past few years.
that's serious spin. McGrady is probably the second best player in the world, and Yao isn't far behind...it's Kobe/Shaq all over again, except without all the fighting.
Old 10-18-2004, 01:16 PM   #33
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

serious spin there, too End. McGrady has never been top 2. Mr. Fundamental and heart have always been higher, but I guess that doesn't matter since the point is still the same, and my argument was never refuted. I accept that Ming and McGrady are good, real good. I also think that acquiring McGrady is no lock for the playoffs, as we saw in Orlando.
Old 10-18-2004, 01:20 PM   #34
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

grndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
that's serious spin. McGrady is probably the second best player in the world, and Yao isn't far behind...it's Kobe/Shaq all over again, except without all the fighting.
TEh McGrady/Kobe comparisons are obviously justified. What I don't get is how people think it really makes sense to look at Yao as bringing to the table what Shaq was bringing when the Lakers were in their championship run (or even now for that matter). Yao isn't even close to being that dominant on either side of the ball, and that is why Houston will not be able to get away with having a weak group of players around their two main guys.
Old 10-18-2004, 01:47 PM   #35
endtroducing
Golden Member

the level of play for a center in the West to be 'dominant' has nosedived with Shaq's exit from the conference. he has very little to stop him this season...with the exception of maybe 4 players. and not to mention TMac...who can guard him?

a lineup McGrady, Howard, and Yao is very formidable. they have considerable depth (especially when Sura gets healthy). they're a much improved team, a team I think we'll be nose to nose with this year for the whole season.
Old 10-18-2004, 01:53 PM   #36
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

grndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
the level of play for a center in the West to be 'dominant' has nosedived with Shaq's exit from the conference. he has very little to stop him this season...with the exception of maybe 4 players. and not to mention TMac...who can guard him?
Sorry. That doesn't cut it. Yao is not, and never will be, as dominant as Shaq, and without that dominance the two-man formula just isn't going to get it done.
Quote:
a lineup McGrady, Howard, and Yao is very formidable. they have considerable depth (especially when Sura gets healthy). they're a much improved team, a team I think we'll be nose to nose with this year for the whole season.
Oh, their depth is fine. It's their starters that are the problem.
Old 10-18-2004, 04:59 PM   #37
FineCubanCigar
Golden Member

FineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally posted by: alby
houston's offensive potential deceptively makes them look like a pretty good team. houston's lack of defensive potential will result in them never being considered as an elite team IMO. if you think otherwise, because of jeff van gundy's philosophy of coaching.. slow, low scoring, grind it out basketball.. then they would ultimately not be playing to their strengths, T-Mac is an overrated halfcourt, set it up basketball player IMO, if they dont allow him to get in the open court and get in transition then they will go nowhere. If they do somewhat change their philosophy and do run and play fastbreak ball, then they dont have the defensive team to consistently get stops and Yao would never be able to last through an entire game. but yeah, if they open the season on some sort of run, just watch all of the bandwagonners jump on i cant wait.
whoever ragged on Houston's D is a basketball idiot....... two words: Van Gundy. No one teaches D better with the possible exception of Pat Riley. Year in and out, despite Defensive talent or not, the Van Gundy coached team has always and will always play excellent defense. Houston has 2 of the top 10 players in the league, we have 1. Our depth is better though. Your stretching bigtime.... Franchise wasnt a good halfcourt player, and houston's gaurds last year were more suited to run and gun with mobley and the like. To suggest that a top 5 player in th league is an overrated half-court player is a ridiculous stretch. Note: they will fastbreak when the offensive load is on T-macs shoulders..... when Yao is taking one of his breathers.
Old 10-18-2004, 05:03 PM   #38
FineCubanCigar
Golden Member

FineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of light

Isn't Kobe better on the break as well? or is he an overrated half-court player? Jackson's teams play grind it out D as well. Grind it out D is ALWAYS a plus, despite rather you can run the floor or not. As a mtter a fact, a case can be made that Van Gundy's team D will infact create the break in the form of Yao blocks, steals and D rebounds, which would play into T-Mac's game if one believed he is simply an overrated half-court player.