Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Around the NBA

Old 02-23-2006, 08:04 PM   #1
MavsFanFinley
Guru

MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute
Default Brent Barry

Poor guy. Anyone see that thread on spurstalk.com? He was told not to get on the team plane this morning. Apparently a trade was in the works that fell through today. Speculation was that it was with the Golden State Warriors. I've read both Fisher or Dunleavy was involved.

It did fall through in time for him to get on the plane after all but how would that make you feel?
Old 02-23-2006, 08:13 PM   #2
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

He's a vet. He has been through it before. It's a business and he understands it. It would kind of suck though.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 09:24 PM   #3
MavKikiNYC
Diamond Member

MavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by MavsFanFinley
I've read both Fisher or Dunleavy was involved.
Weird-looking trade. Who else would it have touched?
MavKikiNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 11:33 PM   #4
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Dtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant future

Yea I think its safe to say that it wouldn't have involved Ginobilli, Duncan or Parker. I don't believe Finley and NVE can be traded so who does that leave? I can't imagine them giving up their big men in Nazr and Horry. Maybe Beno Udrih and Barry?

Last edited by Dtownsfinest; 02-23-2006 at 11:34 PM.
Dtownsfinest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2006, 01:21 AM   #5
MavsFanFinley
Guru

MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute

Apparently that was only speculation by folks on the radio about GS. A poster later said the deal was with the Hornets and the San Antonio Express confirms that tonight. They almost had JR Smith.

Spurs' Barry nearly dealt to Hornets

Web Posted: 02/24/2006 12:00 AM CST

Johnny Ludden
Express-News Staff Writer

MEMPHIS, Tenn. — The Spurs arrived Thursday evening with 13 players, one more, apparently, than with which they intended to depart San Antonio.

The Spurs nearly traded Brent Barry on Thursday afternoon in a multi-team deal that would have netted New Orleans guard J.R. Smith, two NBA sources said.

The deal was close enough to completion — one opposing team executive said he had heard it was done — that Spurs officials initially told Barry he might not need to board the team's charter flight here.

The deal unraveled near the league's 2 p.m. trade deadline, which was an hour before the Spurs were scheduled to depart. After Spurs coach Gregg Popovich told Barry the trade was dead, Barry accompanied the team here.

Barry has played sparingly this month since Manu Ginobili returned from the inactive list. Smith, 20, would have helped the Spurs get younger and more athletic on the perimeter, though the trade would have been made with the future more in mind than this season.

Smith was taken with the 18th overall pick in the 2004 draft but since has fallen out of favor with Hornets coach Byron Scott, who doesn't think the young guard has worked hard enough to improve.

Barry has two years remaining on his contract after this season.

Last edited by MavsFanFinley; 02-24-2006 at 01:21 AM.
MavsFanFinley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2006, 01:25 AM   #6
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute

I really like JR Smith, he is a developed shooter but his other aspects are still unrefined. I hope he does well to earn playing time in OKC...

Barry must be the happiest guy in the world tonight, he is still in San Antonio playing for a championship

Contact Me
Twitter: www.twitter.com/alnguyen84
Facebook: www.facebook.com/alnguyen84
alby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2006, 09:47 AM   #7
sixeightmkw
Golden Member

sixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of light

that would have put some real athleticism in their line up.
Old 02-24-2006, 10:59 AM   #8
HexNBA
Golden Member

HexNBA is a name known to allHexNBA is a name known to allHexNBA is a name known to allHexNBA is a name known to allHexNBA is a name known to allHexNBA is a name known to allHexNBA is a name known to allHexNBA is a name known to all

According to the Hornets side of things, the deal didnt unravel as much as it was submitted too late, and the NBA nixed it.
Old 02-24-2006, 11:11 AM   #9
MavsFanFinley
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by HexNBA
According to the Hornets side of things, the deal didnt unravel as much as it was submitted too late, and the NBA nixed it.
Here's the quote from Byron Scott. Pretty stupid that the trade was nixed because it was 5 minutes late.

Scott declined to give specifics of the deal that fell apart. He did say that the Hornets had entered discussions on another trade about 30 minutes before the deadline and with five minutes left, both teams were in agreement. “We got it (to the league) five minutes after the clock and they said, ‘No deal.’” Scott said. “So it was squashed, and everybody in the room was a little disappointed. We were that close to really feeling pretty good about the whole thing.”
Old 02-24-2006, 02:16 PM   #10
V2M
Diamond Member

V2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to behold

Well... u snooze, u lose! I don't see anything wrong with the league's stance. It's almost like releasing the game-winning shot a fraction after the buzzer goes off.

They knew the deadline for several months now and still waited until they were too close! Stuff happens!!
V2M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2006, 03:02 PM   #11
MavKikiNYC
Diamond Member

MavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: the Barry Trade...

It looks strange to me that Dunleavy was involved.

Barry for Fischer, maybe. Older role-playing vets with similar sized/duration contracts.

But Dunleavy for Barry? SA should've been looking to make that happen.
MavKikiNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2006, 06:49 PM   #12
bernardos70
Diamond Member

bernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond repute

How the hell do they give away barry on his last leg and get J.R. Smith? Glad it didn't go through!
Old 02-24-2006, 08:14 PM   #13
MavsFanFinley
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by V2M
Well... u snooze, u lose! I don't see anything wrong with the league's stance. It's almost like releasing the game-winning shot a fraction after the buzzer goes off.

They knew the deadline for several months now and still waited until they were too close! Stuff happens!!
Somehow I don't think you'd be singing the same tune if it was the Mavs involved. Of course, rules are rules but if you set a deadline why allow extensions? That's pretty stupid too when you have several months to get something done.

And why do you assume they waited until the last possible minute to try and get something done? Maybe the trade depended on something else getting done first.
Old 02-24-2006, 10:10 PM   #14
Evilmav2
Diamond Member

Evilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond repute

One way or the other, I am also very glad this trade didn't go down.

Now I know Byron Scott and the Hornets are down on young #23, and I can understand that they feel they can't let him play heavy, learning rotation minutes in the midst of their playoff push, but as rough as J.R. Smith's game might currently be around the edges, he's still a long, very athletic stud with a beautiful jump-shot who I bet will end up growing into one heckuva scoring force who is going to be playing some very good basketball in this league for a very long time to come...
Old 02-25-2006, 11:51 AM   #15
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute

I have the same belief.. Chris Paul and JR Smith could be a very nice backcourt together..

Contact Me
Twitter: www.twitter.com/alnguyen84
Facebook: www.facebook.com/alnguyen84
alby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2006, 01:53 PM   #16
MavsFanFinley
Guru

Here's more from the SA Express about what went wrong with the trade.

The deal began to unravel around an hour before the NBA's 2 p.m. deadline. When the Hornets acquired Marc Jackson and Linton Johnson III for Bostjan Nachbar in a trade with New Jersey, they no longer had the salary-cap room needed to absorb the difference between Barry's and Smith's contracts.

The Spurs and New Orleans tried to get Atlanta involved to help facilitate the trade, but couldn't get it done in time.
Old 02-25-2006, 04:14 PM   #17
V2M
Diamond Member

V2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Somehow I don't think you'd be singing the same tune if it was the Mavs involved. Of course, rules are rules but if you set a deadline why allow extensions? That's pretty stupid too when you have several months to get something done.

And why do you assume they waited until the last possible minute to try and get something done? Maybe the trade depended on something else getting done first.
For obvious reasons, I'd be disappointed if the Mavs were involved and it's one of those trades I like. But that doesn't mean it's stupid of the league to enforce the rules!

And I don't know what you mean by allowing extensions after a deadline is set... could you please elaborate?
Old 02-25-2006, 08:30 PM   #18
MavsFanFinley
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by V2M
And I don't know what you mean by allowing extensions after a deadline is set... could you please elaborate?
If the league sets a deadline, why allow extensions? The Bulls and Timberwolves were granted an extension earlier in the day to work out a trade but nothing ever came of it. It's happened in the past.

The Spurs and/or Hornets should have made a phone call or sent a fax to the league asking for an extension to get the deal done. Not sure why they didn't.
Old 02-25-2006, 08:39 PM   #19
V2M
Diamond Member

Quote:
If the league sets a deadline, why allow extensions? The Bulls and Timberwolves were granted an extension earlier in the day to work out a trade but nothing ever came of it. It's happened in the past.

The Spurs and/or Hornets should have made a phone call or sent a fax to the league asking for an extension to get the deal done. Not sure why they didn't.
I'm sorry... I didn't know that! If they allow extensions to some, they obviously can do that for others. Clearly something's amiss...!