Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > The Lounge

Old 10-15-2002, 04:43 PM   #1
irontoad
Golden Member

irontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to all

I realize this is probably a really dumb question, but what exactly constitutes as an assist in basketball? From what I understand it's when a player passes the ball to a teammate, and that teammate then scores while in motion and without dribbling? I love the game but man am I dumb on the technical aspects...
Old 10-15-2002, 09:36 PM   #2
southern_sweets
Diamond Member

southern_sweets will become famous soon enoughsouthern_sweets will become famous soon enough

OK, since none of these other sports geniuses are answering your question I'll help you.

An assist is a pass by one player to another that results in the second player scoring. Only one assist can be credited to a player per basket.

Hope I've helped.
southern_sweets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2002, 09:52 PM   #3
Just211
Platinum Member

Just211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to all

<< Assist: A pass that leads directly to a basket. >>

From NBA.com
Old 10-16-2002, 08:58 AM   #4
irontoad
Golden Member

irontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to all

Thanks, sweets! I gotta admit, I'm still confused, though. Maybe I'm overanalyzing this, but take this example: Finley sees Dirk on the post guarded by a defender and passes to him. Dirk catches the ball and without dribbling or moving, waits 1 second and then shoots over the defender from his same location. I don't think that would be counted as an assist. But, by definition it was a pass that led directly to a basket. Don't get me wrong, I understand plays like alley-oops are assists from the passer, and I understand when a player passes the ball and the receiver of the pass dribbles down the lane for a layup it's not an assist. Guess I'm still thinking it's my original idea.
Old 10-16-2002, 09:04 AM   #5
southern_sweets
Diamond Member

southern_sweets will become famous soon enoughsouthern_sweets will become famous soon enough

I'm not sure Irontoad, but I think that is an assist. I think the situation where it wouldn't be would be when the shooter doesn't move DIRECTLY toward the basket or take the shot. But, of course I'm nobody's expert.
southern_sweets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2002, 09:08 AM   #6
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

Big Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond repute

well, it's really all left up to the discretion of the official score-keeper.

in most cases, if a player receives a pass, then works on his own to get into scoring position, it is not an assist.

entry passes to the post (the the post player posting up to score) are not normally considered assists.

now, in your example, if nash passed to dirk on the post, and he just did a fade away jumper... hmmm... it may be an assist, it may not. again, the official score keeper decides.