Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 12-30-2003, 06:55 PM   #1
superheadcat

superheadcat is on a distinguished road
Default nellie's job security

my takes on how long nellie could keep his job:

first, some preliminaries: (i.e., if u disagree with these principles, u don't need to read any further)
1. nobody is untouchable if the right candidate is available. (e.g., if duncan wants to come, is dirk still untouchable?) on the other hand, anyone should be removed if and only if the right candidate is available. and unlike players, nba coaches, especially good ones are hard to come by.
2. ultimately, a coach is evaluated by his w-l record. however talented a coach is, if his team keeps losing, he won't coach long, on the other hand, when a team is winning, it is hard to argue to discharge the coach on the ground that the team wins despite of the coach's incompetency.

now, for nellie, imo:
1. anytime popovich is available, nellie can go. same with jerry sloan. pat riley? i am not sure (but admittedly, that is because of my ignorance of how much he's got left in his coaching tank, not because of some scientific evaluation). phil jackson? no (again, that is because of my personal disliking of pj). i don't know enough about nba coaching to come up with more names. (hubie brown? Rudy Tomjanovich?)
2. for whatever reason, nellie's team is winning more and more the last three years, including in the playoff, "when it counts". that is why nellie still had a job. same goes with this year, if mavs again go deep in the playoff, nellie's job will not be in serious jeopardy.
3. particular in nellie's case: if he's let go, mavs need to deal with donnie. cuban can either let him go with his father, although he's done a brilliant job for mavs, and risk hurting employees' morale, or keep donnie, and risk having a distracted son working as president of basketball operation.

the bottom line:
1. cuban wants a championship, and he is not infinitely patient for his return of investment.
2. nobody has won an nba championship under nellie's style (i hardly know enough about nba to draw this conclusion by myself, but i trust chuck cooperstein's nba knowledge. blame him if it is wrong).

my conclusion:
1. i hope mavs can win a champ under nellie's style, and thus pioneer a new era for nba (see my signature). but i understand that nellie is playing against the odds. it is quite possible that he won't win it all, and as a result, he'll lose his job.
2. this season, if mavs fail to reach at least wcf, or if any of those "brand name" coaches become available, nellie will be gone. i'll consider removal of nellie under all other situation as extraordinary, and demand extraordinary evidence to back that decision up.
3. firing nellie will present 2 more problems that need to be addressed: finding a better replacement, and dealing with donnie.
Old 12-30-2003, 07:11 PM   #2
Simon2
Diamond Member

Simon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to all
Default RE:nellie's job security

I think Nellie's job is secure till the end of this year or if the whole thing collapses and players start rebelling and the Mavs go on a losing streak. Given the leadership on this team, I don't think any internal strife will happen. Nellie's job is secure. The question is what are Cuban's expectations this year? To reach the WCF? Win the title? I think Cuban really, really wants Nellie to win. EVen though I complain a lot about Nellie, I would like him to win the ring just to show everyone else he can do it. He just drives me crazy sometimes with his unconvetional styles.
Old 12-30-2003, 07:37 PM   #3
mavsfanforever
Diamond Member

mavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of light

Actually one thing I do like about Nellie this year is the minutes Josh Howard is getting. Never seen Nellie giving minutes to a rookie.
Old 12-30-2003, 08:06 PM   #4
Simon2
Diamond Member

Simon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally posted by: mavsfanforever
Actually one thing I do like about Nellie this year is the minutes Josh Howard is getting. Never seen Nellie giving minutes to a rookie.
He did for Dirk and Wang
Old 12-30-2003, 08:12 PM   #5
Chiwas
Guru

Chiwas is infamous around these partsChiwas is infamous around these parts
Default RE: nellie's job security

Phil Jackson was named.

That reminded me of a thought that I had last night.

The Lakes have the best and always trying to get better. If Nelson is the coach with more wins presently, are the Lakers going to try to get Nelson?

My own answer was "no, they won't". I continued and thought, "then why the Mavs shall still be wanting him?". I have no answer yet.

Old 12-30-2003, 08:36 PM   #6
Fidel
Diamond Member

Fidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally posted by: Chiwas
Phil Jackson was named.

The Lakes have the best and always trying to get better. If Nelson is the coach with more wins presently, are the Lakers going to try to get Nelson?

My own answer was "no, they won't". I continued and thought, "then why the Mavs shall still be wanting him?". I have no answer yet.
Sorry but this makes no sense at all.

Fidel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2003, 08:44 PM   #7
Chiwas
Guru

Quote:
Originally posted by: Fidel
Quote:
Phil Jackson was named.

Sorry, it is deep. It makes a lot of sense to me.

Old 12-30-2003, 08:51 PM   #8
Simon2
Diamond Member

Quote:
Phil Jackson was named.

Chiwas, please explain. I'm too shallow to understand this deep stuff.
Old 12-30-2003, 08:58 PM   #9
Chiwas
Guru

Quote:
Originally posted by: Simon2
Quote:
Phil Jackson was named.

Chiwas, please explain. I'm too shallow to understand this deep stuff.
I will do it through PM's Simon2, as it shall be instead of trying to provoke. Not your case, just an old story.

Old 12-30-2003, 08:59 PM   #10
Fidel
Diamond Member

Fidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by: Fidel
Quote:
Phil Jackson was named.

Sorry, it is deep. It makes a lot of sense to me.
LOL deep yeah.

What do career wins have to do with the quality of a coach? Not much if anything at all. Alot of the alltime winningest coaches got there by the sheer longevity of their careers. Wilkens, Motta, Fitch for example. The only coaches out of the top 12 with a good record (above .600) are Riley, Auerbach, Sloan and Jackson. So to even ponder the question whether or not the Lakers would try to get Nelson because he´s got more wins doesn´t make much sense.

Your answer and conclusion don´t make sense either. What does the Lakers not wanting Nelson as their coach has got to do with whether or not the Mavs should keep him as their coach? Maybe the Lakers wouldn´t want him cause hís coaching style and their players don´t fit? Maybe he wouldn´t fit into the Lakers organisation? Maybe they don´t like him as a person? There are numerous possible explanations as to why the Lakers might or might not want Nellie as their coach, not just the one you are implying (he´s not good enough). Coaches aren´t like players, when signing a new coach you also bring a complete basketball philosophy and and armada of assistant coaches into town most of the time.
Fidel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2003, 09:07 PM   #11
Chiwas
Guru

Default RE: nellie's job security

If it doesn't make sense to you, then why bother to post it?

I won't bother to explain to you. Your own try is very short sight to me.

The old Fidel is back having some personal problem again?