Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 12-30-2009, 06:38 PM   #1
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Latest Bill Simmons podcast.

Bill Simmons posted a really good basketball podcast today. He does a three man podcast with Marc Stein and Ric Bucher a few times a year, and the most recent one was just posted.

It's in two parts. You can get it from iTunes under "The BS Report" or download here.

If you just want to listen to the part where they talk Mavs, it starts at the 29 minute mark of the fist file and goes for about fifteen minutes. It's very positive, with some gushing on Dirk and Simmons calls Marion the "best defender in the league".

I highly recommend listening to the whole thing, but the Mavs stuff is especially good.

As far as talking points, I was really intrigued to hear that Stein things our biggest need is another big man. To me that means that he thinks we're a somewhat minor piece away from being a true contender. Because adding a true difference making big man seems somewhat unlikely.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com

Last edited by jthig32; 12-30-2009 at 06:39 PM.
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-30-2009, 07:37 PM   #2
badfish22
Golden Member

badfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant future

Great, cant wait to listen. Thanks for the post.

BEAT LA
badfish22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 07:48 PM   #3
rmacomic
Platinum Member

rmacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond repute

Nice to hear some props from espn guys.
Old 12-30-2009, 10:47 PM   #4
Dim499
Platinum Member

Dim499 has much to be proud ofDim499 has much to be proud ofDim499 has much to be proud ofDim499 has much to be proud ofDim499 has much to be proud ofDim499 has much to be proud ofDim499 has much to be proud ofDim499 has much to be proud ofDim499 has much to be proud ofDim499 has much to be proud ofDim499 has much to be proud of

By the way, don't think I forgot that Ric Bucher has been one of the premiere Dirk-haters among the media for many years. I will never fully trust this guy's opinion and I wish Simmons would have Stein on on his own or with some other guy!
Dim499 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 12:34 AM   #5
Bayliss

Bayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, all Bucher could say was: Dirk shouldn't be MVP because he has a guy like Kidd on his team.

So? Kobe has Pau Gasol on his team. Should Kobe not get the award? Nash has Amare on his team. Should he not get the award? Melo has Chauncey. Should he not be in consideration?

Bucher is such a douche.
Bayliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 01:07 AM   #6
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

That particular opinion of Bucher's didn't make a whole lot of sense. Equating Kidd's importance to Kobe's is ridiculous.

However, Bucher's great on those podcasts. In fact I think he brings a lot more than Stein most of the time, which is strange because I find Stein's writing to be much more interesting.

Plus, Buch's reason for not giving Dirk the MVP wasn't nearly as bad as Stein giving the MVP to Gasol in his mid-season awards. That's just stupid.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com

Last edited by jthig32; 12-31-2009 at 01:07 AM.
Old 12-31-2009, 01:17 AM   #7
Dirkadirkastan
Diamond Member

Dirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond repute

I've always thought the MVP should go to a player on a team at the top of the league. However, you generally need at least two really good players for your team to be at the top of the league. (Dirk and the Mavs are the top challengers to that notion.) So it's not clear what situation Bucher's ideal MVP would be in.

Last edited by Dirkadirkastan; 12-31-2009 at 01:18 AM.
Dirkadirkastan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 01:34 AM   #8
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute

Yea, Bucher's never given Dirk the credit he deserves. It's comical that he tries to discount Dirk's MVP candidacy this year by saying he's he's playing with Kidd....as if we just signed Kidd this off-season. Then he goes on to say that Gasaol shouldn't be consider for MVP (he's right there but for the wrong reason) because he plays with Kobe while ignoring the fact that Kobe wasn't a legit MVP candidate until the Pao trade.

Other than that it's great stuff. Would have been ever better without the three of them talking over each other. There were a couple of instances where I wanted to hear someone elaborate on a point but it didn't happen because someone else wanted to go in a different direction.

Simmons backing Marion for Defensive POY is further proof that he actually watches games. I don't expect him to be on the first or second team but Dallas has gone from a middle of the road defensive team to top five. Along with Damp's improved defense, Marion is the number one reason for the improvement.
Old 12-31-2009, 11:43 AM   #9
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirno2000 View Post
Yea, Bucher's never given Dirk the credit he deserves. It's comical that he tries to discount Dirk's MVP candidacy this year by saying he's he's playing with Kidd....as if we just signed Kidd this off-season.
Bucher is a moron half the time. Simmons is solid...but takes odd stances at times. Stein is so good...he seems to be the best all around hoops guy in the national media.

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 11:47 AM   #10
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthig32 View Post
Stein giving the MVP to Gasol in his mid-season awards. That's just stupid.
Gasol just isn't a good enough player to EVER be seriously considered for the MVP...imaginary mid season award or the real thing.

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 12:34 PM   #11
CadBane
Banned

CadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond repute

Lolz, Dirk has KIDD so he shouldn't win MVP. No disrespect to Kidd, I love him...but the other MVP candidates have Pau (not to mention Artest, Bynum and Odom), Billups, Amare, Vince Carter and Mo Williams as teammates. The only guy you can argue is substantially less important than Kidd is Mo.
CadBane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 12:38 PM   #12
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

I would say Vince Carter is substantially less important than Kidd and Mo Williams (by a large, large margin), but the point is valid.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 12-31-2009, 01:12 PM   #13
mavErika
Golden Member

mavErika has a brilliant futuremavErika has a brilliant futuremavErika has a brilliant futuremavErika has a brilliant futuremavErika has a brilliant futuremavErika has a brilliant futuremavErika has a brilliant futuremavErika has a brilliant futuremavErika has a brilliant futuremavErika has a brilliant futuremavErika has a brilliant future

I found it funny how Bucher was killing Simmons for not having a podcast scheduled earlier this season, so they couldn't elaborate on some Simmons predictions and early-season overreactions he would have made and which would have already proven to be wrong by now. Because I remember in the pre-season podcast with those three guys one of Simmons' closing statements was that he predicts that either the Mavs or the Suns will be really, really good this year. I'm not sure what the reactions of Bucher and Stein were, but I suppose Bucher was not taking him seriously and Stein was proud on the Mavs-part of the statement, but didn't agree to not look even more like a homer. Funny also, because Simmons didn't seem to remember either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthig32 View Post
That particular opinion of Bucher's didn't make a whole lot of sense. Equating Kidd's importance to Kobe's is ridiculous.

However, Bucher's great on those podcasts. In fact I think he brings a lot more than Stein most of the time, which is strange because I find Stein's writing to be much more interesting.

Plus, Buch's reason for not giving Dirk the MVP wasn't nearly as bad as Stein giving the MVP to Gasol in his mid-season awards. That's just stupid.
I agree, he's hating on Dirk and the Mavs a little bit, but he's still very entertaining to listen to.
Btw, although some points get lost in cacophony with these three guys, it's still great to have M.Stein being one of them, as Simons seems to see him first and foremost as a Dirk + Mavs-fan, so they're alsways talking Mavs a lot.
Still have part2 ahead of me...
mavErika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 02:17 PM   #14
StackAttack
Platinum Member

StackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud of

A lot of really interesting things were said, both about the Mavs and the rest of the league. Just bought Simmons' book (if anyone's interested, it's like seventeen dollars cheaper on Amazon than the rest of the world), can't wait to read it. I was kind of surprised to hear that Chris Bosh specifically DOESN'T want to come to Dallas - first time I'd heard anything but the exact opposite.
Old 01-01-2010, 05:08 AM   #15
mac222b
Diamond Member

mac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond repute

i believe Bosh himself made some comments awhile back about not wanting to come back to Dallas.
mac222b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 12:16 PM   #16
Hitman
Golden Member

Hitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to all

It is good to hear people who really watch the league.

Simmons' book is great, if you enjoy the sports guy style writing. He definitely knows the league.

Put Your Brand On Everyone's Lips: http://www.java-ads.com
Hitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 08:16 PM   #17
tcat075
Diamond Member

tcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond repute

good listen, thanks jthig.
tcat075 is offline   Reply With Quote