Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 09-30-2009, 08:25 AM   #1
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Fan Jam Question

Alright, so who here has been to a Fan Jam at the AAC? I'm thinking of taking my son (who is 5), but I was curious as to how many people typically show up at this thing? They apparently only open the doors fifteen minutes before it starts, so you can't really get there extra early to get a good seat.

I assume the lower bowl doesn't fill up? Is it just a free for all to get a good seat when the doors open?

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com

Last edited by jthig32; 09-30-2009 at 09:17 AM.
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-30-2009, 08:31 AM   #2
DavidDaMonkey
Platinum Member

DavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond repute

I've only been once; we didn't get their early at all and were still able to sit in the lower bowl along the side.
Old 09-30-2009, 10:11 AM   #3
Mav Addict
Golden Member

Mav Addict has much to be proud ofMav Addict has much to be proud ofMav Addict has much to be proud ofMav Addict has much to be proud ofMav Addict has much to be proud ofMav Addict has much to be proud ofMav Addict has much to be proud ofMav Addict has much to be proud ofMav Addict has much to be proud ofMav Addict has much to be proud ofMav Addict has much to be proud of

I have been a couple of times...not sure how many people usually come, but the the lower bowl area usually does not fill up...so yes it is a free for all.

It is free, but I always end up spending money on food, drinks, and memorabilia....you will have to pay to park as well.

Be rest assured if you come, you will have a great seat as long as you are not behind the backboard.

Last edited by Mav Addict; 09-30-2009 at 11:20 AM.
Mav Addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 11:18 AM   #4
SMC0007
Guru

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

They announced $5 to park in the near lots.

The lower bowl doesn't fill up completely but to avoid being cramped some move to the mid level. Now with the new additions of players it wouldn't surprise me that the lower bowl be full and a few in the mid level.

you just proofed how stupid you are - CRAZYBOY

Last edited by SMC0007; 09-30-2009 at 11:19 AM.
SMC0007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 02:14 PM   #5
badfish22
Golden Member

badfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant future

Is it just an open practice or is it a scrimmage? I went way back in the Bradley days and all they did was scrimmage so it was fun to watch.

BEAT LA
badfish22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 02:33 PM   #6
SMC0007
Guru

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

Usually a short practice with commentary by the coach, followed by a scrimmage.

Old 09-30-2009, 02:33 PM   #7
Mav Addict
Golden Member

Mav Addict has much to be proud ofMav Addict has much to be proud ofMav Addict has much to be proud ofMav Addict has much to be proud ofMav Addict has much to be proud ofMav Addict has much to be proud ofMav Addict has much to be proud ofMav Addict has much to be proud ofMav Addict has much to be proud ofMav Addict has much to be proud ofMav Addict has much to be proud of

Its an open scrimmage...blue against white Jerseys....both teams have starters
Old 10-02-2009, 09:03 PM   #8
SMC0007
Guru

I'll put this here.

Went to te fan jam..

Matt Carroll ragdolled anyone who opposed him. He scored more points than anyone else and threw a sweet alleyoop to Marion.

Marion played well too caught a few lobs, we WILL see plenty of that no doubt. I wouldn't be surprised if he avg 2 oops per game.

Gooden is quick and made Damp look like he was playing in combat boots that were wayyy to big for him. He has a nice touch.

Damp knocked down two shots over 12 feet.

JKidd looked pretty good too, about as impresssive as MC. He had nice anticipation steal that led to a sweet oop to Marion.

Dirk scored on a layup.

Roddy looked fine to me, he had a sweet behind the back pass for an open three from MC who else.

JJB looked good too, jacked some nice shots off in some doods faces.

Jet hit a few buckets and addressed the crowd and introduced the team, really well.

I don't think it will take very long for this team to gel. I think MArion will help the chemistry, despite everything we have heard about him. Gooden impressed me more than I thought he would. IMO We have a much better mix of players now than ever.

Last edited by SMC0007; 10-02-2009 at 09:04 PM.
Old 10-02-2009, 09:11 PM   #9
monty55555
Platinum Member

monty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMC0007 View Post
I'll put this here.

Went to te fan jam..

Matt Carroll ragdolled anyone who opposed him. He scored more points than anyone else and threw a sweet alleyoop to Marion.

Marion played well too caught a few lobs, we WILL see plenty of that no doubt. I wouldn't be surprised if he avg 2 oops per game.

Gooden is quick and made Damp look like he was playing in combat boots that were wayyy to big for him. He has a nice touch.

Damp knocked down two shots over 12 feet.

JKidd looked pretty good too, about as impresssive as MC. He had nice anticipation steal that led to a sweet oop to Marion.

Dirk scored on a layup.

Roddy looked fine to me, he had a sweet behind the back pass for an open three from MC who else.

JJB looked good too, jacked some nice shots off in some doods faces.

Jet hit a few buckets and addressed the crowd and introduced the team, really well.

I don't think it will take very long for this team to gel. I think MArion will help the chemistry, despite everything we have heard about him. Gooden impressed me more than I thought he would. IMO We have a much better mix of players now than ever.
Thank you so much for the recap.

It's great to hear that the usual suspects (Dirk, JKidd and JET) played well. Great to hear that they're all in good shape.

I'm so excited to see what Marion can bring to this team. One of the things that really makes me look forward to this season is that not only is he a perfect complement to JKidd, he seems really really happy to be in Dallas. And I hope that this translates into great play from him.

Good to know that Gooden played well. I know a lot of people are skeptical about him, and I myself am quite worried about his play as a center, but I'm hoping for the best.

One of the surprising things I've read is that Matt Carroll has been shooting really well in training camp. And again, tonight, you mentioned that he really shot well. I really hope he can at least be a serviceable shooter off the bench for the Mavs.

I also read a few good things about Humphries. How was he tonight? Was he any good?

Thanks again for the recap.
Old 10-02-2009, 09:12 PM   #10
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
JKidd looked pretty good too, about as impresssive as MC.
I read this sentence like ten times...
Old 10-02-2009, 09:17 PM   #11
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know that Carroll outscored Terry. He did hit two threes, so maybe.

Roddy had three really nice assists. Two on penetration into the lane and once in transition. His defense...not so great.

Marion had a really nice post move that resulted in a spinning hook shot.

A good time had by all.

Edit to add:

Marion had two steals from playing the passing lane, although they looked like scrimmage-effort passes.

Kidd guarded Dirk for about five minutes straight and Dirk got a real kick out of it. He backed him down and drop-stepped him for an easy layup at one point. Those may have actually been Dirk's only points. He was somewhat cold and was coasting a bit.

Carroll really did look good. He ripped a very pure three to open the scoring on the first possession of the game, and he wasn't wide open either. He looked much more confident and aggressive than he ever looked last season. Whether that translates to games, who knows.

I found it interesting to watch a few matchups where the guys seemed to be taking it somewhat seriously. Damp and Gooden were really banging around while Damp was on offense. Gooden was getting good leverage but Damp just moved him right out of position a couple times. Conversely, Gooden make Damp look silly on a few dive cuts.

Ross was matched up on Marion a lot and seemed to be putting out max effort defensively (no surprise). He made it pretty hard for him to catch in the post a few times and got a layup off of a loose ball/deflection he caused.

Jawai..holy crap he's terrible. He might have fouled out of this 20 minute game had things been called straight up.

Everyone else was pretty much what you expect. The Great Mouse Detective (aka Tim Thomas) and Josh didn't play. Josh was dressed for practice and did participate in the drill they ran before the scrimmage, but still no contact stuff for him apparently.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com

Last edited by jthig32; 10-02-2009 at 09:27 PM.
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 09:32 PM   #12
Jon Avalon
Platinum Member

Jon Avalon is a name known to allJon Avalon is a name known to allJon Avalon is a name known to allJon Avalon is a name known to allJon Avalon is a name known to allJon Avalon is a name known to allJon Avalon is a name known to allJon Avalon is a name known to allJon Avalon is a name known to allJon Avalon is a name known to allJon Avalon is a name known to all

Cool, good read about the scrimmage.

Hope to see some vids up soon, like to see Marions oops if anyone recorded it.

Last edited by Jon Avalon; 10-02-2009 at 09:32 PM.
Jon Avalon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 09:38 PM   #13
monty55555
Platinum Member

monty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant future

Thanks for the recap jthig32.
Old 10-02-2009, 09:55 PM   #14
SMC0007
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthig32 View Post
I don't know that Carroll outscored Terry. He did hit two threes, so maybe.

Roddy had three really nice assists. Two on penetration into the lane and once in transition. His defense...not so great.

Marion had a really nice post move that resulted in a spinning hook shot.

A good time had by all.

Edit to add:

Marion had two steals from playing the passing lane, although they looked like scrimmage-effort passes.

Kidd guarded Dirk for about five minutes straight and Dirk got a real kick out of it. He backed him down and drop-stepped him for an easy layup at one point. Those may have actually been Dirk's only points. He was somewhat cold and was coasting a bit.

Carroll really did look good. He ripped a very pure three to open the scoring on the first possession of the game, and he wasn't wide open either. He looked much more confident and aggressive than he ever looked last season. Whether that translates to games, who knows.

I found it interesting to watch a few matchups where the guys seemed to be taking it somewhat seriously. Damp and Gooden were really banging around while Damp was on offense. Gooden was getting good leverage but Damp just moved him right out of position a couple times. Conversely, Gooden make Damp look silly on a few dive cuts.

Ross was matched up on Marion a lot and seemed to be putting out max effort defensively (no surprise). He made it pretty hard for him to catch in the post a few times and got a layup off of a loose ball/deflection he caused.

Jawai..holy crap he's terrible. He might have fouled out of this 20 minute game had things been called straight up.

Everyone else was pretty much what you expect. The Great Mouse Detective (aka Tim Thomas) and Josh didn't play. Josh was dressed for practice and did participate in the drill they ran before the scrimmage, but still no contact stuff for him apparently.

Yeah, pretty much everything you said as right on.

Jet played well, maybe I didn't give him enough credit but I remember Carroll hitting at least 2 threes and a nice layup thru some traffic. That alley oop was super sweet tho as I do say so myself. He really did look much more confident and aggressive out there. I saw Josh stand up and fist bump a few times when he came to the bench too. I think it has to do with getting familiar with the team and being here longer. As you said, who knows if it will translate... I hope so.

Jawaii, other than the nice rebound and dunk he was kinda a blubbery waste. Though he undid that with the airball....would have been great if the crowd chanted "airrrballl".

Old 10-02-2009, 10:11 PM   #15
Robillion
Golden Member

Robillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant future

I showed up at like 7:20 and got front row center.

I like what I saw from Roddy B. Loved what I saw from Marion. Terry was himself. I am just now really seeing how well Gooden moves around the basket. Carroll impressed. Ross was bigger than I thought which is good.

I caught some beads, but unfortunately no shirt or shoes :/... got to talk with the little man from the maniaacs for a bit. Cool guy.

Last edited by Robillion; 10-04-2009 at 09:40 AM.
Robillion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 10:14 PM   #16
sefant77
Guru

sefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond repute

Nice to see that Gooden and Damp pushing themselves. Should be good for us. I hope it stays fair and doesnt effect the lockerroom. Both guys know we will need both anyway and there probably wont be a clear winner anyway.
sefant77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 10:44 PM   #17
SMC0007
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robillion View Post
I showed up at like 7:20 and got front row center.

I like what I saw from Roddy B. Loved what I saw from Marion. Terry was himself. I am just not really seeing how well Gooden moves around the basket. Carroll impressed. Ross was bigger than I thought which is good.

I caught some beads, but unfortunately no shirt or shoes :/... got to talk with the little man from the maniaacs for a bit. Cool guy.

Not saying Gooden was super but he played well tonight. I didn't think he was that quick or agile, didn't really know he had that decent a shot either tbh. Maybe I'm not used to seeing that in our centers but he did good work and opened things up several times with pump fakes and drives and if he didn't finish he got fouled or someone had a rather easy follow on his miss.

Old 10-02-2009, 11:57 PM   #18
tcat075
Diamond Member

tcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond repute

Carroll would be a nice surprise addition if he turned into a serviceable shooter.
tcat075 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 02:09 AM   #19
Rick41
Diamond Member

Rick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Dirk scored on a layup.
Random. haha.

"Dirk Nowitzki is now a household name in every locker room in this world.
You say it in Brazil, you say Dirk, they know Nowitzki. You say it in China,
they know Nowitzki. Kobe, Michael, DIRK." - Jeff Van Gundy
Rick41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 09:39 AM   #20
Robillion
Golden Member

Robillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant future

Quote:
Not saying Gooden was super but he played well tonight. I didn't think he was that quick or agile, didn't really know he had that decent a shot either tbh. Maybe I'm not used to seeing that in our centers but he did good work and opened things up several times with pump fakes and drives and if he didn't finish he got fouled or someone had a rather easy follow on his miss.
I definitely meant to say "I am just now seeing..." rather than "I am just not seeing..". Typo there. I was pleasantly surprised by him and his agility.
Robillion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 11:45 AM   #21
MaVs 41 BaLler
Golden Member

MaVs 41 BaLler has much to be proud ofMaVs 41 BaLler has much to be proud ofMaVs 41 BaLler has much to be proud ofMaVs 41 BaLler has much to be proud ofMaVs 41 BaLler has much to be proud ofMaVs 41 BaLler has much to be proud ofMaVs 41 BaLler has much to be proud ofMaVs 41 BaLler has much to be proud ofMaVs 41 BaLler has much to be proud ofMaVs 41 BaLler has much to be proud ofMaVs 41 BaLler has much to be proud of

It be nice for Dirk if a lot of pressure comes off of him for scoring. It will also be nice to see Dirk scoring 50 again...
Old 10-05-2009, 12:22 PM   #22
mqywaaah
Diamond Member

mqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant future

It'd be nice if I went and saw a Mavs game. I will do so in this lifetime. I promise

Follow me on Twitter http://twitter.com/gloriosomacky
mqywaaah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 01:23 PM   #23
mavErika
Golden Member

mavErika has a brilliant futuremavErika has a brilliant futuremavErika has a brilliant futuremavErika has a brilliant futuremavErika has a brilliant futuremavErika has a brilliant futuremavErika has a brilliant futuremavErika has a brilliant futuremavErika has a brilliant futuremavErika has a brilliant futuremavErika has a brilliant future

some vids I found on youtube and facebook(I know, would have been more exciting a week ago):

first time the 09/10 team takes the court:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vt6XR...eature=related

fan jam(part 1 and 5 is just the mascots doing sth. and part4 doesn't exist at all:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-96wattr7Vw&NR=1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hhHfS...eature=related

2:30min of scrimmage:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=var33...eature=related

de-de-defense... that was horrible

SA Spurs fans, make some noise:
http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=146072657734

Last edited by mavErika; 10-11-2009 at 04:03 PM.
mavErika is offline   Reply With Quote