Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 04-26-2010, 08:14 PM   #1
CadBane
Banned

CadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond repute
Default Damp fined by Das Fuhrer

http://realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/66209/20100426/dampier_fined_$35000_for_critcizing_refs/

Dallas Mavericks’ center Erick Dampier has been fined $35,000 for publicly criticizing game officials, it was announced today by Stu Jackson, NBA Executive Vice President, Basketball Operations.

Dampier was fined for comments made to the media following the Mavericks’ 94-90 loss to the San Antonio Spurs in Game 3 of the Eastern Conference First Round on April 23.

Read more: http://realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/66209/20100426/dampier_fined_$35000_for_critcizing_refs/#ixzz0mG6pfXRR

----------------------------

Not surprising since it game right after Stern's warning. Man spoke the truth though.
CadBane is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-26-2010, 08:17 PM   #2
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Being over-paid should come in handy here!

p.s. - it's kinda dumb to make Nazi references when your star player is German...

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 08:30 PM   #3
CadBane
Banned

CadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond repute

Good thing I was referring to Stern and not Dirk.

Unless you think being German= Nazi.

That would be pretty silly.
Old 04-26-2010, 08:36 PM   #4
Rick41
Diamond Member

Rick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond repute

LoL, weak.

"Dirk Nowitzki is now a household name in every locker room in this world.
You say it in Brazil, you say Dirk, they know Nowitzki. You say it in China,
they know Nowitzki. Kobe, Michael, DIRK." - Jeff Van Gundy
Rick41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 08:46 PM   #5
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by CadBane View Post
Good thing I was referring to Stern and not Dirk.

Unless you think being German= Nazi.

That would be pretty silly.
Yeah, "Das Fuhrer" is a commonly-known reference to David Stern, not Adolf Hitler...

Old 04-26-2010, 08:51 PM   #6
CadBane
Banned

Actually, I hear people refer to Stern as that quite a bit. That and Emperor Stern.
Old 04-26-2010, 08:53 PM   #7
Underdog

Quote:
Actually, I hear people refer to Stern as that quite a bit. That and Emperor Stern.
So the fact that other people act ignorant is an excuse for you to act ignorant?

I'd like to meet your parents... (and beat the ever-living sh!t out of them!)

Old 04-26-2010, 08:56 PM   #8
CadBane
Banned

Why does that offend you? You must be rather sensitive.
Old 04-26-2010, 09:12 PM   #9
Underdog

Quote:
Why does that offend you? You must be rather sensitive.
Yep. Sensitive.

Old 04-26-2010, 09:28 PM   #10
GermanDunk
Diamond Member

GermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond repute

Approved by GD. Free Damp !
Old 04-26-2010, 11:02 PM   #11
bernardos70
Diamond Member

bernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond repute

Does it ever dawn on anyone how ridiculous it sounds? "Don't criticize our work, or you'll get fined?"

I just got to thinking how utterly ridiculous that is. If I was in the league (highly unlike since I went undrafted again) I would sit down at the end of a training session and write speeches while tiptoeing the line, just avoiding saying the words "referee" and leaving the statements open to interpretation, just to see how far reaching are the hands of the bastard commie Stern.
Old 04-26-2010, 11:02 PM   #12
cowdog80

cowdog80 is a glorious beacon of lightcowdog80 is a glorious beacon of lightcowdog80 is a glorious beacon of lightcowdog80 is a glorious beacon of lightcowdog80 is a glorious beacon of lightcowdog80 is a glorious beacon of lightcowdog80 is a glorious beacon of lightcowdog80 is a glorious beacon of light

This is news? Stern said he was sick of the complaining about officiating, then the next day Damp (the one guy on the team who probably doesn't have much of a case given that his defense includes a lot of physical contact) complains about the officiating.
cowdog80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 12:10 AM   #13
CadBane
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowdog80 View Post
This is news? Stern said he was sick of the complaining about officiating, then the next day Damp (the one guy on the team who probably doesn't have much of a case given that his defense includes a lot of physical contact) complains about the officiating.
That was his whole point...SA is allowed to play physical, but he and the Mavs aren't. And yes, it is in fact news. I found it in a section entitled "NBA News".
Old 04-27-2010, 02:11 AM   #14
Zki41

Zki41 is a name known to allZki41 is a name known to allZki41 is a name known to allZki41 is a name known to allZki41 is a name known to allZki41 is a name known to allZki41 is a name known to allZki41 is a name known to allZki41 is a name known to allZki41 is a name known to all

Coaches and players complain about the refs all the time. There was the Tim Donaghy scandal as well as all of the claims he made as well.

The majority of discussion right now on this forum is about the officiating, not the actual basketball being played.

Clearly something is wrong. The only reason people are getting fined is because the NBA doesn't want attention being brought to it's officiating.

Something has to change.
Zki41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 02:58 AM   #15
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zki41 View Post
Coaches and players complain about the refs all the time. There was the Tim Donaghy scandal as well as all of the claims he made as well.

The majority of discussion right now on this forum is about the officiating, not the actual basketball being played.

Clearly something is wrong. The only reason people are getting fined is because the NBA doesn't want attention being brought to it's officiating.

Something has to change.
Which is so stupid. Stern is being such a baby about the refs. Who thinks the NBA reffing is good? Sterny can get all pissed as much as he want at the players/coaches, but they are just reflecting how the fans feel. Why not publicly try to fix it? I mean, keeping people like Bavetta around is just turning this thing into a farce.

DevinHarriswillstart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 06:08 AM   #16
twelli
Diamond Member

twelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant future

It should be "Der Führer" and I believe David Stern is a Jew, so this is wrong on multiple levels.

Anyway, I doubt David Stern is as bad as his haters think he is. Just another guy running a big business. Cannot please everyone. If the refs are against the Mavs, I don't think it is because Stern tells them to be so, probably more more because they don't like to be criticized by Cuban. If anything, I feel Stern is too conservative for a flashy sport such as NBA basketball. He would make a better commissioner of the PGA or something.

“He’s always around 23 or 24,” West said. “The bell rings every day.”
twelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 07:06 AM   #17
dalmations202
Diamond Member

dalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by twelli View Post
Anyway, I doubt David Stern is as bad as his haters think he is. Just another guy running a big business. Cannot please everyone. If the refs are against the Mavs, I don't think it is because Stern tells them to be so, probably more more because they don't like to be criticized by Cuban. If anything, I feel Stern is too conservative for a flashy sport such as NBA basketball. He would make a better commissioner of the PGA or something.
I believe you are correct about one thing -- it is BIG BUSINESS.

If I run a BIG BUSINESS where we make basically everyone RICH -- then I want to control as much of it as possible. Owners don't complain TOO much because frankly -- Stern makes them lots of $$$$$. The value of these franchises has spiked dramatically. The business is not basketball -- the business model is the same one used in Hollywood -- the business of Entertainment. Stern is doing a wonderful job of putting on a show for the people -- one that he controls. He really doesn't care about the winner or loser of the individual game -- nor does he care about the integrity of the sport of basketball, IMO. He cares about the entertainment and the money from it.

He is a good CEO, in that he makes the owners money. Not allowing employees to criticize another part of the business makes sense. In my job, they don't allow me to criticize other departments either. Image and attitude sell.

Forget about the way you thought of basketball in the past -- the NBA is not it. This is like watching the Globetrotters. It is entertainment at it's finest - even it if isn't legit sport. Do you think the refs aren't paid to call a slightly different game for the Globetrotters? (heck they are PART of the entertainment) How else would you ever know the names of Salvatore, Bevetta, Danny and Joey Crawford, etc? They are part of the entertainment as well -- they just get to play the bad guys, if you are a Mavs fan.

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have". Gerald Ford

"Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid." -John Wayne

There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty:
soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.
-Capt. Bob "Wolf" Johnson
dalmations202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 07:15 AM   #18
cowdog80

cowdog80 is a glorious beacon of lightcowdog80 is a glorious beacon of lightcowdog80 is a glorious beacon of lightcowdog80 is a glorious beacon of lightcowdog80 is a glorious beacon of lightcowdog80 is a glorious beacon of lightcowdog80 is a glorious beacon of lightcowdog80 is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by bernardos70 View Post
Does it ever dawn on anyone how ridiculous it sounds? "Don't criticize our work, or you'll get fined?"
Actually, I would argue that most jobs across the world would face some kind of reprimand if the employee were to make public statements against company officials.

Airing your grievances in public is not acceptable with many industries.
cowdog80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 10:37 AM   #19
bernardos70
Diamond Member

bernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond repute

I would think that would be the case in my job also, but I don't get interviewed on national television after my shift.
Old 04-27-2010, 04:11 PM   #20
Vito Corleone

Vito Corleone is infamous around these partsVito Corleone is infamous around these parts

Quote:
Damp fined by Das Fuhrer
Why would Dirk fine Dampier?
Vito Corleone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 04:22 PM   #21
Dirkadirkastan
Diamond Member

Dirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond repute

^Ban worthy?
Dirkadirkastan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 05:12 PM   #22
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirkadirkastan View Post
^Ban worthy?
I was thinking it was good rep worthy. It is baffling that Damp got fined for what he said. Stern just gets touchy.
EricaLubarsky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 11:21 PM   #23
bernardos70
Diamond Member

Maybe Damp painted a big red target on his back, and that's why he didn't play? Or maybe Cuban thought "hey, you're losing money, might as well rest up."
Old 04-27-2010, 11:55 PM   #24
FreshJive
Diamond Member

FreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond repute

Was Carlisle telling Damp to shut up and play? Has there been any news about this?
FreshJive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 12:16 AM   #25
Dirkadirkastan
Diamond Member

Dirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricaLubarsky View Post
I was thinking it was good rep worthy. It is baffling that Damp got fined for what he said. Stern just gets touchy.
A Spurs fan calls Dirk Hitler and you give him positive rep?
Dirkadirkastan is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
cadban