Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Around the NBA

Old 09-01-2003, 02:35 PM   #1
Tony tha Mavs fan

Tony tha Mavs fan is on a distinguished road
Default Lakers : Shaq Is Back

by Fanball Staff - Fanball.com
Monday, September 1, 2003

News
According to the LA Daily News, Shaquille O'Neal is having a great offseason. He and his new trainer are bragging about the fact he has shed 15 pounds and 5 percent of body fat--from 20 percent down to 15. The new physique has the man-child talking about the dominant Shaq of old. "I'll tell you what. If I wasn't in shape last year, I must be the greatest," O'Neal said. "To have to put up with five, 10 people every night and still get 27 (points) and 10 (rebounds) and play on a messed-up foot and play on a messed-up knee, and never complain. In the words of Muhammad Ali, 'I must be the greatest.' " Shaq went on to challenge all the Western Conference teams that improved in the offseason. "It's not going to matter," Shaq said. "You know that. The whole world knows it's not going to matter. You know why? Because I'm back now. Last year, I was a little banged up. But no team is a powerhouse, and no team scares me. And I'm upset and I'm (ticked) o! ff. A lot of people doubting me. The old Shaq will be back, talking (smack), starting fights, getting my legs up when I dunk. I'm back now. I'm mad now."

---------------------------------

Hmmm Looks like Raef and Bradley can put "dunked on" stickers on their foreheads for the Laker game.

I wonder if Larry Allen is available 4 nights out of the year to keep Shaq away from the basket, he'd make a great Hack a Shaqer for the Mavs.. just a thought
Old 09-01-2003, 02:43 PM   #2
superheadcat

superheadcat is on a distinguished road

well, the media already hailed "shaq is back" when he came back from the toe surgery last year.
kobe already bragged about his added muscle (his photo was even on the front page of espn) last year.

nothing new this time.
Old 09-01-2003, 02:43 PM   #3
one long blue sock
Golden Member

one long blue sock will become famous soon enough

Oh yeah, I bet you will say that, when it is half way through the season, and your foot is in a cast.
Old 09-01-2003, 02:50 PM   #4
MavKikiNYC
Diamond Member

MavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
"To have to put up with five, 10 people every night and still get 27 (points) and 10 (rebounds) and play on a messed-up foot and play on a messed-up knee, and never complain. In the words of Muhammad Ali, 'I must be the greatest.' "
If you mention that you didn't complain, are you complaining?

I think I speak for both Raef and Mantis when I say, "Bring it on, Fat Boy!"
MavKikiNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2003, 03:27 PM   #5
jayC
Diamond Member

jayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nice

Looks like that would have been the case with all the centers in this league.
jayC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2003, 03:34 PM   #6
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Shaq doesnt have it anymore. He may have a few good games, but the refs supposedly trying to be more collegiate, and with his aging toe and heart, Shaq is on the way out. Even last year, the younger Kobe was taking over the lead, and Shaq didnt like it one bit. Remember when he told reporters that the Lakers just needed to "pass him the f@#$ing ball more?" and that would solve their problems? Well, I dont think that is going to be the solution after Karl Malone and Gary Payton suit up. How do you spell implosion?
EricaLubarsky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2003, 04:37 PM   #7
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

Shaq seemed to mention that knee and toe a lot last year. I guess mentioning it isn't the same as complaining about it.
MFFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2003, 05:02 PM   #8
JamisonJigga

JamisonJigga is on a distinguished road
Default RE: Lakers : Shaq Is Back

<In the words of Muhammad Ali, 'I must be the greatest.' ">

That sounds a little one sided if you ask me. Shaq will do all the banging he wants on Raef, but watch as Dirk, Tawn, Nash, and Fin get together and beat down the Lakers.
JamisonJigga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2003, 05:45 PM   #9
Tony tha Mavs fan

Tony tha Mavs fan is on a distinguished road

In MY OPINION i still think Shaq can be the most dominant center in the league, there isn't much competition against him , except , as of lately , Yao Ming. And although i don't agree with his comparing himself to being the greatest , he did go through alot of injuries last year and was fatter than ever, and still had alot of 20pnts, 15 rbs games. One thing Shaq thrives on is motivation, and last year, i don't think he had that. This year he has something to prove, especially after sitting all summer hearing about how fat he is, and how much effect he had on the Lakers not 4 peating.

Although I want the Mavs to kick the crap out of the Lakers, I still give credit to Shaq for getting in the gym and losing some weight, and being more content on taking his team to the Championships again. I really hope Lafrentz and Bradley are somewhere hearing what Shaq is saying and come out more motivated than him.
Old 09-01-2003, 09:04 PM   #10
MavsFanatik33
Platinum Member

MavsFanatik33 has a spectacular aura aboutMavsFanatik33 has a spectacular aura about

Should everyone on this site put our money together and hire a hitman to kill Shaq?
MavsFanatik33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2003, 10:20 PM   #11
Nash13
Diamond Member

Nash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud of

Sometimes, i really get enough of Shaq's mouth. He's too cocky.

To be honest, i don't think that Shaq can get any better, b/c his game doesn't require actual skill or talent, it's just his size. He can get more athletic, but what will he really accomplish? The only way he can get better is if he were to work on his free throw shooting.

And no matter how much weight or body fat he loses, that toe will still be a factor.
The wind rises electric. She's soft and warm and almost weightless. Her perfume is sweet promise that brings tears to my eyes. I tell her that everything will be all right; that I'll save her from whatever she's scared and take her far far away. I tell her that I love her. The silencer makes a whisper of the gunshot. I hold her close until she's gone. I'll never know what she was running from. I'll cash her check in the morning.

~The Salesman
Nash13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2003, 10:40 PM   #12
Speedy

Speedy is a jewel in the roughSpeedy is a jewel in the roughSpeedy is a jewel in the roughSpeedy is a jewel in the roughSpeedy is a jewel in the rough

Good. I hope Shaq comes back and has his best season ever. I want Kobe to be able to play, and play lights out. I would love to see Karl and Gary keep their production from last year and mesh perfectly with Shaq and Kobe. I want Phil to write up perfect game plans. I hope the Staples Center sells out every night, and the fans don't stop cheering from the start of the game until the end. I wish for the Laker dancers to execute flawless routines during halftime. But above all, I want the Mavs to go into L.A. and beat their a$$ straight up. Then sit back and laugh as all of these oh yeah....well if Maverick hating, asterisk key punching cry babies break out in cold sweats as they reach into their rusty bucket of excuses and come up empty handed.
Speedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2003, 11:00 PM   #13
MavsFanFinley
Guru

MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute

Shaq may be a step or two slower, but he's still the most dominant big man.

He's right, all the Lakers need to do is throw it down low to him and let him draw the double-teams and kick out to Kobe, Malone, or Payton. If other teams don't double, he can still put it in the basket.

The only thing that can stop Shaq is his toe.
Old 09-01-2003, 11:28 PM   #14
Simon2
Diamond Member

Simon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to all

Shaq will need to be in shape when he runs around trying to cover Raef on the three point line. Who cares if he comes back in shape? That's good. No excuses when the Mavs win it all.
Old 09-01-2003, 11:35 PM   #15
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

Shaq is a with a wimpy toe. F'em.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2003, 11:44 PM   #16
Fidel
Diamond Member

Fidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to behold

If Shaq is in good shape next season he´ll dominate. With the center position being as depleted as it is I don´t see anyone being even slightly able to stop him. Robinsons gone. Deke and Divac are probably the two players who where the most successfull in trying to defend him over the last few years. Deke is done and Divac, well stop smoking dude. The only thing that could stop Shaq is his own health. That´s just my opinion on Shaq though. I´m not at all convinced that the Lakers will be that Uber team that all the media hype suggests. I think a couple teams (including our Mavs) have a good chance to beat them in the playoffs.
Fidel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2003, 06:46 PM   #17
tekrider

tekrider is on a distinguished road

when was the last time raef consistently made 3 pointers? shaq will happily let him jack up threes while he's down low grabbing the boards and swatting shots... it's funny how nellie RARELY puts bradley into the game when shaq is in, as soon as shaq walks to the bench for a breather you will see bradley take the warmups off this skinny white ass!

tekrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2003, 06:55 PM   #18
Mandyahl
Diamond Member

Mandyahl will become famous soon enoughMandyahl will become famous soon enough

when was the last time shooting 40% from the 3 was not consistently making 3 pointers?
Old 09-02-2003, 09:02 PM   #19
LakerMania

LakerMania is on a distinguished road

Quote:
You're gonna hve to say it for them cuz I guarantee they ain't gonna say it to him.

Quote:
TextShaq doesnt have it anymore.
27 ppg on 57% shooting in the regular season. 27 ppg/54% fg/15rpg/4apg/2.8 bpg in this year's playoffs. Explain in more detail why he doesn't have it anymore.

Shaq
LakerMania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2003, 09:16 PM   #20
MavKikiNYC
Diamond Member

MavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally posted by: LakerMania
Quote:
You're gonna hve to say it for them cuz I guarantee they ain't gonna say it to him.

Precisely, L-Mania. Don't be such a literalist. Activate your irony detector.
MavKikiNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2003, 09:50 PM   #21
Nash13
Diamond Member

Nash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud of

Quote:
27 ppg on 57% shooting in the regular season. 27 ppg/54% fg/15rpg/4apg/2.8 bpg in this year's playoffs. Explain in more detail why he doesn't have it anymore.

So now that it wasn't Shaq's performance, what's the exuse for the Laker's for not winning their fourth straight last year? Was it Devean George? Rick Fox? Where they the reasons why?
The wind rises electric. She's soft and warm and almost weightless. Her perfume is sweet promise that brings tears to my eyes. I tell her that everything will be all right; that I'll save her from whatever she's scared and take her far far away. I tell her that I love her. The silencer makes a whisper of the gunshot. I hold her close until she's gone. I'll never know what she was running from. I'll cash her check in the morning.

~The Salesman
Nash13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2003, 10:00 PM   #22
Psychedelic Fuzz
Platinum Member

Psychedelic Fuzz is on a distinguished road

We should designate someone to "accidentally " step on his toe. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
Just like when Tim Duncan got poked in the eye in two separate games

Psychedelic Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2003, 10:02 PM   #23
Drbio
Banned

Kiki- you should know by now that leaker fans can't take chiding....even in obvoiusly sarcastic form.
Old 09-02-2003, 11:21 PM   #24
mmmfast

mmmfast is a name known to allmmmfast is a name known to allmmmfast is a name known to allmmmfast is a name known to allmmmfast is a name known to allmmmfast is a name known to allmmmfast is a name known to allmmmfast is a name known to allmmmfast is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally posted by: Psychedelic Fuzz
We should designate someone to "accidentally " step on his toe. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] Just like when Tim Duncan got poked in the eye in two separate games
I'm pretty close to LA so if everyone on this board pulls together to get me a courtside seat...I'll stomp his toe.[img]i/expressions/devil.gif[/img]

Old 09-03-2003, 08:20 AM   #25
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

shaq doesn't have it anymore?

please tell me that you're joking. if not, you're losing alot of credibility. How good do you have to be to "have it"?
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2003, 08:28 AM   #26
Drbio
Banned

I suppose that it's possible that Shaq doesn't have it.

(If by "doesn't have it" you mean can still dominate the NBA at will)
Old 09-03-2003, 11:07 AM   #27
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

ok..so maybe he's slipped to the second or third most dominant player in the league instead of the most dominant.

hmm

the only player that's more dominant is probably duncan..there's no shame in that
Old 09-03-2003, 11:45 AM   #28
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

kg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond repute

Shaq is the best player in the league. Period. It pains me to say it, but the truth is the truth.
Old 09-03-2003, 11:54 AM   #29
Murphy3
Guru

when shaq is healthy, he is without a doubt..but, last year i'd give the edge to TD.

this year, i expect it to be shaq
Old 09-03-2003, 12:21 PM   #30
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

kg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond repute

Duncan did have the better year last year. But it seems that some people believe that Duncan has surpassed Shaq; that's just not the case. Shaq simply had an off year last year and was not healthy.

It is fair to say, though, that when you rank the players in the league, it goes something like this:

<u>Tier 1</u>
Shaq

<u>Tier 2</u>
Duncan

<u>Tier 3</u>

Everybody else.

Old 09-03-2003, 01:14 PM   #31
Murphy3
Guru

Quote:
Originally posted by: kg_veteran
Duncan did have the better year last year. But it seems that some people believe that Duncan has surpassed Shaq; that's just not the case. Shaq simply had an off year last year and was not healthy.

It is fair to say, though, that when you rank the players in the league, it goes something like this:

<u>Tier 1</u>
Shaq

<u>Tier 2</u>
Duncan

<u>Tier 3</u>

Everybody else.

Tier 4
Backup NBA Power Forwards such as a player possibly like Raef Lafrentz

Tier 5
Spare NBA players such as Popeye Jones and Evan E.

Tier 6
Mark Madsen

Tier 7
Hank Dudek

Tier 8
other big men coming out of UT such as Chris Mihm, Locksley Collie, Dexter Cambridge, and Gabe Muoneke

Tier 9
All high school players over 6'4 that don't play college basketball

Tier 10
Eddie Najera

Old 09-03-2003, 01:31 PM   #32
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

Classic.
Old 09-03-2003, 01:31 PM   #33
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

I bet a lot of the guys you mentioned could get 3 defensive rebounds in 20+ minutes a game.
Old 09-03-2003, 11:22 PM   #34
Drbio
Banned

hahahaha
Old 09-04-2003, 12:04 PM   #35
Murphy3
Guru

bump for my own amusement
Old 09-04-2003, 03:51 PM   #36
TripleDipping
Diamond Member

TripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud of

Cruel, so very cruel.
TripleDipping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2003, 03:54 AM   #37
Shaq Attack

Shaq Attack is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by: Nash13
Quote:

So now that it wasn't Shaq's performance, what's the exuse for the Laker's for not winning their fourth straight last year? Was it Devean George? Rick Fox? Where they the reasons why?
Um, how about not having your starting small forward (Rick Fox) and then having your backup small forward go down on a Lakers team with no depth last year. I won't even mention the fact that Kobe was playing with an injured shoulder that required surgery last June.

Shaq wasn't in great shape during the playoffs last May, but he was still able to bring the stats and dominate. Now that Shaq is thinner and is shooting better than he ever has from the FT line, do you really think he's not going to tear up the league this year, especially with help from Malone and Payton? Can you say unanimous MVP?
Shaq Attack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2003, 10:46 AM   #38
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
[i]Now that Shaq is thinner and is shooting better than he ever has from the FT line, do you really think he's not going to tear up the league this year, especially with help from Malone and Payton? Can you say unanimous MVP?
How do you know how he's shooting from the free throw line? Anyone can shoot free throws in an empty gym. It's a different story with 17,000 people over you. Especially when you already have a mental block when it comes to shooting free throws.
Old 09-05-2003, 12:45 PM   #39
jacktruth
Golden Member

jacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud of

Well, Raef is lifting 265.

If Raef keeps increasing what he can lift and Shaq keeps dropping weight. . .

Look out LA!!!

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
jacktruth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2003, 03:05 PM   #40
Shaq Attack

Shaq Attack is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by: dirno2000
Quote:
[i]Now that Shaq is thinner and is shooting better than he ever has from the FT line, do you really think he's not going to tear up the league this year, especially with help from Malone and Payton? Can you say unanimous MVP?
How do you know how he's shooting from the free throw line? Anyone can shoot free throws in an empty gym. It's a different story with 17,000 people over you. Especially when you already have a mental block when it comes to shooting free throws.
Did you notice that Shaq improved his FT% very noticably last year, and that before the season started he said he got better at FTs? Did you know he's hinting at the same thing now? Well, I'll wait this one out until October/November.
Shaq Attack is offline   Reply With Quote