Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 04-20-2021, 09:29 AM   #1
Dallas41
Diamond Member

Dallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud of
Default Should Redick move into the starting lineup

My suggestion is to add more shooting to the starting lineup especially if your not playing good defense anyway.

The Mavs repeatedly fall behind early in games because they can't hit shots and lack focus.

Doncic has made great strides defensively and believe it or not Luka has more block shots this year than Maxi Kleber. It might be time to either remove Kleber or Richardson to the bench and trust Luka to take on a bigger role defensively.

He's not prime LeBron or K.Leonard on that end of the floor but I don't think he's been a liability defending other wings.

He's at least been on equal production as Richardson on that end of the floor.

Redick is not going to stop anyone but I feel like you could hide him better defensively by starting him and get better usage out of him playing more minutes next to Doncic.

Playing Redick next to Luka more minutes might give similar results that Philly got out him next to Simmons.

I'd go with one of the following lineups...

Luka
Redick
DFS
Kleber
KP

Or

Luka
Redick
Richardson
DFS
KP

I'd hate to move DFS to the 4 because it downsizes the lineup but Kleber has not shot well in weeks and he's had several games where he hasn't even scored.

The 2nd unit might actually benefit more by adding either Kleber or Richardson to those lineups for longer stretches defensively.

Last edited by Dallas41; 04-20-2021 at 01:12 PM.
Dallas41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-20-2021, 10:18 AM   #2
tgfan
Golden Member

tgfan is a splendid one to beholdtgfan is a splendid one to beholdtgfan is a splendid one to beholdtgfan is a splendid one to beholdtgfan is a splendid one to beholdtgfan is a splendid one to beholdtgfan is a splendid one to beholdtgfan is a splendid one to beholdtgfan is a splendid one to beholdtgfan is a splendid one to beholdtgfan is a splendid one to behold

I'm not sure JJ is in good enough shape yet, to be a starter. What I would do is start Brunson and let JJ and JRich come off the bench.

And, at least for a few games, I would start Melli in Maxi's spot. Maxi can't hit the broad side of a barn these days and Melli seems to have great defensive instincts and I believe could drain some threes if he got more playing time.
tgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 10:31 AM   #3
washedklean77

washedklean77 is a name known to allwashedklean77 is a name known to allwashedklean77 is a name known to allwashedklean77 is a name known to allwashedklean77 is a name known to allwashedklean77 is a name known to allwashedklean77 is a name known to allwashedklean77 is a name known to allwashedklean77 is a name known to all

I'm down for any permutation that allows the Mavs to get off to a good start of a game. The Mavs are 20-3 when leading after the 1st quarter and 10-23 when trailing after the 1st quarter.
Old 04-20-2021, 10:34 AM   #4
SMC0007
Guru

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm all for trying something new. Problem is we are pretty late in the game to start a new experiment. I don't think JJ is the answer in the SLU and definitely don't think melli is either. If we had been giving Green some minutes all along we might be able to use him to start and reframe the mindset of these unproductive starters. Green appears to already be as good of a defender as JRich so you don't lose out there if the intention is to put a capable defensive guard next to Luka.

This all goes to show how fast you can become desperate when the team isn't playing up to standards and the coaching staff doesn't have them ready to go.

you just proofed how stupid you are - CRAZYBOY

Last edited by SMC0007; 04-20-2021 at 10:35 AM.
SMC0007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 11:26 AM   #5
Melonhead
Guru

Melonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond repute

Im down for anything that might get them off to a good start. Putting him in rhythm early is worth trying out.
Old 04-20-2021, 01:04 PM   #6
turin
Diamond Member

turin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant future

Since we're not going to be playing any decent defense anytime soon, I completely agree. Let's put another legitimate 3-point shooter out there if we're gonna be continually jacking up threes.

At least with JJ in there, at the end, if the game is close, we might have one less knucklehead to blow a chance at winning down the stretch.

Last edited by turin; 04-20-2021 at 01:11 PM.
turin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 06:17 PM   #7
rimrocker
Diamond Member

rimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond repute

Why not?
It’s not like we’re successful as is.

Mavs have 2 legit starters and about 8 borderline starters so Rick might as well mix and match. I don’t see what it would hurt at this point.
rimrocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 12:09 AM   #8
Dallas41
Diamond Member

Dallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by rimrocker View Post
Why not?
It’s not like we’re successful as is.

Mavs have 2 legit starters and about 8 borderline starters so Rick might as well mix and match. I don’t see what it would hurt at this point.
In theory since the Mavs blow so many leads when Luka sits I think having more capable defenders on the 2nd unit might actually be a blessing for the Mavs.

Generally when Luka is on the floor regardless of lineups the Mavs tend to have leads so why not add Redicks shooting to the starting lineup where he could possibly be hidden better defensively.

Luka, Redick, Richardson, DFS & KP seems like a very balanced lineup to start

Earlier in the season the Mavs had terrific defensive success by pairing Kleber with WCS upfront.

I would pair those two guys up with Brunson, THJ and Melli off the bench to help provide some rim protection and rebounding on that 2nd unit I don't think they would squander many leads when Luka sits because your adding a little more defense to blend in with Brunson and THJ's offense.

Right now when you throw Powell out there as the only big your asking for trouble with the lack of a rim protection and rebounding. That compounds the situation because THJ and Brunson aren't good at keeping people out the paint from driving.

That is how I would roll to start games but I know RC has completely gone away from that WCS/Maxi tandem so I doubt it ever happens.

Last edited by Dallas41; 04-21-2021 at 12:12 AM.
Old 04-21-2021, 04:39 AM   #9
rimrocker
Diamond Member

rimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas41 View Post
In theory since the Mavs blow so many leads when Luka sits I think having more capable defenders on the 2nd unit might actually be a blessing for the Mavs.

Generally when Luka is on the floor regardless of lineups the Mavs tend to have leads so why not add Redicks shooting to the starting lineup where he could possibly be hidden better defensively.

Luka, Redick, Richardson, DFS & KP seems like a very balanced lineup to start

Earlier in the season the Mavs had terrific defensive success by pairing Kleber with WCS upfront.

I would pair those two guys up with Brunson, THJ and Melli off the bench to help provide some rim protection and rebounding on that 2nd unit I don't think they would squander many leads when Luka sits because your adding a little more defense to blend in with Brunson and THJ's offense.

Right now when you throw Powell out there as the only big your asking for trouble with the lack of a rim protection and rebounding. That compounds the situation because THJ and Brunson aren't good at keeping people out the paint from driving.

That is how I would roll to start games but I know RC has completely gone away from that WCS/Maxi tandem so I doubt it ever happens.
I could see Reddick starting with Luka, DFS and KP.
And then Maxi or JRich as the 5th depending on matchups.

Brunson/JRich/THJ/Melli/WCS would be a pretty solid 2nd unit. I’m not sure Melli and Maxi together would work.
rimrocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 08:35 AM   #10
tap2390
Diamond Member

tap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond repute

I would go Maxi over JRich 100% of the time in the starting 5.

Luka
Redick
DFS
Maxi
KP

Maxi will spread the floor better, give us more size, and not require the ball to be effective on offense. I still think we badly need a pick and roll big, but that lineup will do for now.
Old 04-21-2021, 02:05 PM   #11
turin
Diamond Member

turin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant future

Quote:
My suggestion is to add more shooting to the starting lineup especially if your not playing good defense anyway.

The Mavs repeatedly fall behind early in games because they can't hit shots and lack focus.

Doncic has made great strides defensively and believe it or not Luka has more block shots this year than Maxi Kleber. It might be time to either remove Kleber or Richardson to the bench and trust Luka to take on a bigger role defensively.

He's not prime LeBron or K.Leonard on that end of the floor but I don't think he's been a liability defending other wings.

He's at least been on equal production as Richardson on that end of the floor.

Redick is not going to stop anyone but I feel like you could hide him better defensively by starting him and get better usage out of him playing more minutes next to Doncic.

Playing Redick next to Luka more minutes might give similar results that Philly got out him next to Simmons.

I'd go with one of the following lineups...

Luka
Redick
DFS
Kleber
KP

Or

Luka
Redick
Richardson
DFS
KP

I'd hate to move DFS to the 4 because it downsizes the lineup but Kleber has not shot well in weeks and he's had several games where he hasn't even scored.

The 2nd unit might actually benefit more by adding either Kleber or Richardson to those lineups for longer stretches defensively.
I acutally like this line of thinking and agree. Be forewarned though, if RC were to actually do this and get some positive results, you are going to be inundated with the "RC is a genius" comments, and he'll be sticking around even longer. :-/ Talk about a no-win situation for some of us fans. LOL

Last edited by turin; 04-21-2021 at 02:14 PM.
Old 04-21-2021, 02:16 PM   #12
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by turin View Post
I acutally like this line of thinking and agree. Be forewarned though, if RC were to actually do this and get some positive results, you are going to be inundated with the "RC is a genius" comments, and he'll be sticking around even longer. :-/ Talk about a no-win situation for some of us fans. LOL
Do you think that fan opinions actually impact the game?

If we did, we'd have been through 30-40 coaches in the time Rick has had his tenure.

Last edited by EricaLubarsky; 04-21-2021 at 02:17 PM.
EricaLubarsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 02:23 PM   #13
turin
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricaLubarsky View Post
Do you think that fan opinions actually impact the game?
Is this a legitimate question, or are you just trolling? SMH
Old 04-21-2021, 02:31 PM   #14
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Is this a legitimate question, or are you just trolling? SMH
Legitimately asking.

Do you think fan opinions of Rick have any sway on what Cuban does?
EricaLubarsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 02:41 PM   #15
washedklean77

washedklean77 is a name known to allwashedklean77 is a name known to allwashedklean77 is a name known to allwashedklean77 is a name known to allwashedklean77 is a name known to allwashedklean77 is a name known to allwashedklean77 is a name known to allwashedklean77 is a name known to allwashedklean77 is a name known to all

Quote:
Legitimately asking.

None whatsoever. We're simply Mavs fans sharing our opinions with other Mavs fans.
Old 04-21-2021, 02:49 PM   #16
turin
Diamond Member

Quote:
Legitimately asking.

Okay, I'll play along. Since Donnie didn't have enough influence with his background as the GM to convince Cuban to draft the Greek Freak, then I'm going to go out on a limb and say "no."

Last edited by turin; 04-21-2021 at 03:05 PM.
Old 04-22-2021, 01:19 AM   #17
Dallas41
Diamond Member

Listened to Kirk from mavsmoneyball podcast

Subject about tonight's lineup change came up...

Rick finally shaked up the starting lineup but who in their right mind would have inserted Powell into the starting lineup?

Not only that but you started him on Jerami Grant and he proceeded to have a scorching hot 1st qtr.

If not for foul trouble who knows what he would have done.

They still lost the 1st and they allowed the Pistons to shoot 50% from the FG & 40% from 3-PT range.

I guess the point is Powell didn't help the defense nor did he effect the offense so what was the point of giving this guy the 1st crack at starting over better options on your bench?

Personally, I still think Redick should be the guy since this team doesn't play any defense anyway.

But if he sticks with Powell I have to question the coach and ask is he really putting the team in the best position to win.

Last edited by Dallas41; 04-22-2021 at 01:22 AM.
Old 04-22-2021, 08:51 AM   #18
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Legitimately asking.

I think in a normal season fan opinions would matter to Cuban - look what happened to Tony Ronzone. Fired to prevent fan backlash (and the guy deserved to be fired)

But this season has had basically zero fans in the stands and most sports stations would rather talk about the Cowboys backup center situation than the Mavs (other than Luka - he seems to get 75% of all Mavs airtime discussion)
MFFL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 11:50 AM   #19
Some Guy

Some Guy is a name known to allSome Guy is a name known to allSome Guy is a name known to allSome Guy is a name known to allSome Guy is a name known to allSome Guy is a name known to allSome Guy is a name known to allSome Guy is a name known to allSome Guy is a name known to allSome Guy is a name known to allSome Guy is a name known to all

Quote:
But if he sticks with Powell I have to question the coach and ask is he really putting the team in the best position to win.
In the last few games effort and/or energy have seemed to be the problem, and Powell has been one of the few guys who looks like he gives a crap, so it makes sense to me. As you've mentioned before, there seems to be a connection between how they do in the first quarter and winning the game.
Old 04-22-2021, 12:04 PM   #20
Bryan_Wilson
Diamond Member

Bryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Some Guy View Post
In the last few games effort and/or energy have seemed to be the problem, and Powell has been one of the few guys who looks like he gives a crap, so it makes sense to me. As you've mentioned before, there seems to be a connection between how they do in the first quarter and winning the game.
Bryan_Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 06:23 PM   #21
Zeus

Zeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Okay, I'll play along. Since Donnie didn't have enough influence with his background as the GM to convince Cuban to draft the Greek Freak, then I'm going to go out on a limb and say "no."
I wonder if Donnie was the genius that told Cuban we should draft the shorter guy with less basketball talent over the taller guy that is also a better shooter?
Zeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 01:54 PM   #22
Dallas41
Diamond Member

I will continue to believe that J.Rich needs to move to the bench before the playoffs.

It's been almost a two month funk for him.

Initially I thought Redick could help but it seems as though Rick isn't going to risk giving him heavy minutes.

So my dark horse replacement for J.Rich would now be Trey Burke.

That guy has really started to come on when you pair him up with Luka and really his on ball defensive energy and effort has been underrated here lately.

No he's not better than Rich on defense because he lacks size on switches but dude has shown some dog traits where he just gets after it and comes up with a decent amount of steals or hounds the opposing pg into a forced shot.

That guy seemed to have lost his way early in the season but lately once Rich was out with injuries Burke rediscovered his offense and he's been one of the better performers in 4th qtrs lately.

Might be time to put use Rich the way they used Wright last year. Meaning if he's playing well ride with him otherwise unleash bubble Burke

Last edited by Dallas41; 05-02-2021 at 01:55 PM.