Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 04-22-2009, 10:24 AM   #1
vRookie

vRookie is a name known to allvRookie is a name known to allvRookie is a name known to allvRookie is a name known to allvRookie is a name known to allvRookie is a name known to allvRookie is a name known to allvRookie is a name known to allvRookie is a name known to allvRookie is a name known to all
Default Adjustments for Game 3

What would you guys want the Mavs to change for game 3?

They lost game 2 by more than 20 and seeing as how good the Spurs are on the road, just playing at home won't cure all for the Mavs. So aside from a lot more commitment to defense, RC needs to change things up.

- Start Barea or JET instead of Wright
- Give Singleton more playtime
- Find ways to get Dirk the damn ball
vRookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-22-2009, 10:39 AM   #2
horse900703
Diamond Member

horse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud of

Dirk better fire up at home!
horse900703 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 10:43 AM   #3
MavsFanFinley
Guru

MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute

I'd start Barea and keep the Jet coming off the bench but I'd be fine with either decision.

Need to get Dirk involved.

Need better ball movement. Have to act quicker on the double teams.
Old 04-22-2009, 10:45 AM   #4
DavidDaMonkey
Platinum Member

DavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not sure how Singleton would match up with the Spurs, but I'd love to see more Hollins.
Old 04-22-2009, 10:52 AM   #5
vRookie

vRookie is a name known to allvRookie is a name known to allvRookie is a name known to allvRookie is a name known to allvRookie is a name known to allvRookie is a name known to allvRookie is a name known to allvRookie is a name known to allvRookie is a name known to allvRookie is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidDaMonkey View Post
I'm not sure how Singleton would match up with the Spurs, but I'd love to see more Hollins.
I see what you are saying but I meant play him for his energy and hustle more than anything.
Old 04-22-2009, 11:09 AM   #6
mmmfast

mmmfast is a name known to allmmmfast is a name known to allmmmfast is a name known to allmmmfast is a name known to allmmmfast is a name known to allmmmfast is a name known to allmmmfast is a name known to allmmmfast is a name known to allmmmfast is a name known to all

Darken the arena during an 'entertainment break' and swap the Mavs rim for a larger one, swap ends after halftime.
Honestly, I expect many more shots to drop. Yes SA played some D in game 2 but we also missed plenty of open looks.

I foresee many screens for Dirk and Damp better not get himself in foul trouble setting movers.

Last edited by mmmfast; 04-22-2009 at 11:10 AM.
mmmfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 11:10 AM   #7
SMC0007
Guru

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

you just proofed how stupid you are - CRAZYBOY
SMC0007 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 11:33 AM   #8
DirkFTW
Diamond Member

DirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond repute

Is this ghost ball??
DirkFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 12:03 PM   #9
Blackspider972

Blackspider972 has a spectacular aura aboutBlackspider972 has a spectacular aura about

Effort, determination, heart

It's cliche but they showed none of that in game 2.

1. A good start is critical. No more getting down 8-1 early and letting the air out of the crowd.

2. Have some plays specifically to free up Dirk and Terry for some shots. I want them to start forcing their way into the game and not wait for it to come to them.

3. Get Barea off the bench quicker. I don't want him starting because I want no tinkering to the starting lineup but get him in quicker and more minutes.

4. I want Hollins in there when we need energy and hustle. He is all over the place every second of the game.

5. I want our crowd to be into this game and not sitting on their hands like they do sometimes. We need you!
Blackspider972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 12:09 PM   #10
vRookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackspider972 View Post

3. Get Barea off the bench quicker. I don't want him starting because I want no tinkering to the starting lineup but get him in quicker and more minutes.
Why is that? We have had slow starts in both games
Old 04-22-2009, 12:17 PM   #11
LSMF
Diamond Member

LSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond repute

Offense: Screens need to be set up to free Dirk and Jet. Kidd needs to post TP up. We need Barea to penetrate and if they overplay on JJ's penetration he MUST pass out to the open shooter. If Dirk is doubled others must cut to the rim or take the mid-range jumper. Howard needs to post up and slash, only shoot the midrange jumper if he's open. Jet also needs to slash some, I know he's not a great slasher but he absolutely posterized Anthony Randolph a few months ago so I know he still has in him.

On Defense: Duncan. I think for Duncan we should use Damp to play him some. Damp is physical and can make him take tough shots. I absolutely think we should use Hollins on him. Hollins length, athletic ability and quickness will bother Duncan. I'm almost completely sure Hollins can slow Duncan down a bit.

TP. Use barea and Jet to guard him some. The quickness of the two of them can bother him. Kidd should use his strength to bother him at some points of this game. Then we should use Howard's length to bother Parker for a couple of minutes. I also think a random double teaming of TP will be very efective. Get the ball out of Parker's hands!! No one else on this team can create for themselves apart from Duncan and Parker.

The rest of the Spurs. They are jumpshooters, apart from Duncan, parker and gooden that whole team are a bunch of old jumpshooters. We need to close out on them well, chase them off the 3-point line. Play them agressive and chase them off their sweetspots. Force them to take tough jumpers.

Let's go Mavs!! Play with heart and don't let your fans down !
Old 04-22-2009, 12:25 PM   #12
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

The only adjustment the Mavs need to make is to remember to bring their balls to the game (I ain't talkin' 'bout no Spaldings either!)

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 12:39 PM   #13
DelNegro

DelNegro is a name known to allDelNegro is a name known to allDelNegro is a name known to allDelNegro is a name known to allDelNegro is a name known to allDelNegro is a name known to allDelNegro is a name known to allDelNegro is a name known to allDelNegro is a name known to allDelNegro is a name known to allDelNegro is a name known to all

Use Dirk as a decoy. The Spurs are expecting him to get the ball. Have him set up down on the baseline away from the action and just watch the Spurs go crazy waiting for him to get some touches. That will open up things for Antoine Wright.

Jason Kidd needs to start making the Spurs pay for leaving him open jump shots all game. He's got to shoot more.

The Spurs live and die by the 3. Instead of worrying about how many layups Tony Parker is getting be sure to send extra defenders to cover Matt Bonner and Roger Mason out on the perimeter. Better to give up a bunch of 2 pointers than a couple of 3's.

More minutes for Barea.
DelNegro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 12:43 PM   #14
SMC0007
Guru

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

Take it to the hole...

Old 04-22-2009, 01:14 PM   #15
tcat075
Diamond Member

tcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond repute

• Start Jason Terry. This gives him an opportunity to be defended by Mason, most likely, and he can get rolling early. (per db.com)
  • Let's see a little of Hollins. 40 seconds in game 1 isn't enough to know whether he can be an impact. Give Kidd another option to go to when he penetrates, something he did several times in the game on Monday, not just be forced to pass out or try to score.
  • Setting screens to free Dirk is crucial. Run a double screen on the baseline. The key with these screens is to get Dirk open, but if that fails, to make sure the defender can't front him.
  • Whenever the opportunity presents itself, utilize the fast break. In game 2, we scored what, 5 fast break points? Our running game has to be used more.
  • Terry should go in hard to the basket consciously several times in an attempt to draw a foul. I'm not sure how bad the refs will be, so I'm not sure how plausible of an option this will be, but its worth a try.
  • Josh works best when he has a little bit of room, so he can shoot an open jumper or blow by his man on the way to the hoop. If you give it to him and ask him to go one on one with his man and score, bad things happen, usually a jump shot. Let Josh work off some screens and in the post, where's he's most effective.
  • For Tony Parker, I'd love to see if Hollins could alter his shot and force a few misses or get a couple blocks. That would be huge. Besides that, I think we just have to stick with JJ. I wouldn't mind utilizing a zone with Kidd and JJ at the top. I'm not sure. I hope Carlisle has an idea...
tcat075 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 01:36 PM   #16
Blackspider972

Blackspider972 has a spectacular aura aboutBlackspider972 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by vRookie View Post
Why is that? We have had slow starts in both games
Because when we tinkered without starting lineup in 2007 against Golden St, it backfired. To me, Barea is not a starting player yet. He is a bench player and that is why he is on the bench. Now if we were down 2-0, then maybe. But it's 1-1 and we are coming back home. Keep the starting lineup but at the first sign of a slow start, put him in. Rick waited way too long Monday night.
Blackspider972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 01:42 PM   #17
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

u2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond repute

But when he was put in he didn't have the same effect as in Game 1. The Spurs adjusted by changing their team defense assignments to accommodate for him. I'm not pointing this out because I think we should start him because I agree that we shouldn't. I'm pointing it out because I don't think Barea would have made a difference at any point of Game 2.

It's up to Carlisle to figure out a way to adjust our assignments to take advantage of Bareas (and the rest of the teams) talent.
Old 04-22-2009, 01:51 PM   #18
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute

The adjustment I want to see:

More Dirk and less Barea

Contact Me
Twitter: www.twitter.com/alnguyen84
Facebook: www.facebook.com/alnguyen84
alby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 02:02 PM   #19
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

u2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by alby View Post

More Dirk and less Barea
Old 04-22-2009, 02:13 PM   #20
Rick41
Diamond Member

Rick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond repute

Let me, rick41, give Tony Parker 6 very hard fouls.

"Dirk Nowitzki is now a household name in every locker room in this world.
You say it in Brazil, you say Dirk, they know Nowitzki. You say it in China,
they know Nowitzki. Kobe, Michael, DIRK." - Jeff Van Gundy
Rick41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 02:23 PM   #21
purplefrog
Platinum Member

purplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond repute

Carlisle knows what the Spurs are going to do. If he can't figure out a way to get Dirk the ball where he can score some points then he's beginning to look a lot like a guy who no longer coaches here. Pressure is on Carlisle and the coaching staff.

I don't care what they are, but I do want to see different strategies on both offense and defense.

Some ideas (easier said than done)

First, I'd see if the Spurs come out with the same intensity as they did in Game 2. If not, then maybe Game 1 strategy works (if it's executed better than they did in Game 2).

Get Parker in foul trouble. Go at him regardless of who he is guarding.

I'd try the following line-up: Kidd, JHo, Bass, Dirk, and Damp. Bass can't normally play SF, but he might be able to guard Finley (or maybe Dirk on Finley?). This should be a good rebounding line-up that can protect the basket.

At some point you have to try Hollins. His athleticism and shot blocking ability might provide a useful deterrent for Parker in the paint.

If nothing else seems to work and the Mavs just can't score again, then you might want to try Green.
Old 04-22-2009, 02:35 PM   #22
vRookie

Quote:

More Dirk and less Barea
Wasn't Barea the reason we won Game 1? Agree about more Dirk though

Last edited by vRookie; 04-22-2009 at 02:35 PM.
Old 04-22-2009, 02:37 PM   #23
fluid.forty.one

fluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

More Dirk and less Barea
Yup.

and more hard fouls on Parker
fluid.forty.one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 02:38 PM   #24
fluid.forty.one

fluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by vRookie View Post
Wasn't Barea the reason we won Game 1? Agree about more Dirk though
I'm confused, did you only watch game 1?

Barea will win you a game... then his confidence will become overconfidence... then he'll lose you 3.

The Spurs didn't pay attention to him at all in game 1. They did in game 2. They will in game 3.

More Dirk, less Barea.
fluid.forty.one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 02:52 PM   #25
SMC0007
Guru

Barea doesn't lose us any games. Our stars lose us games.

But still More Dirk, less Barea.

Old 04-22-2009, 03:02 PM   #26
vRookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluid.forty.one View Post
I'm confused, did you only watch game 1?

Barea will win you a game... then his confidence will become overconfidence... then he'll lose you 3.

The Spurs didn't pay attention to him at all in game 1. They did in game 2. They will in game 3.

More Dirk, less Barea.
I know Spurs weren't ready for him in game 1 but Barea probably wasn't ready for what Spurs threw at him in Game 2 and frankly neither did the coach. Playoffs are about adjustments after all. I think his speed and quickness are too valuable not to utilize so I hope RC gives him another chance.
Old 04-22-2009, 03:49 PM   #27
tcat075
Diamond Member

tcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplefrog View Post
If nothing else seems to work and the Mavs just can't score again, then you might want to try Green.
It won't happen, even if the Mavericks have 35 points at the end of the half. I agree, but it just won't happen.
tcat075 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 03:58 PM   #28
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

It's always a downer when the Mavs decide that they can basically make dirk a decoy.. just allow him to receive the double team and then swing the ball around to the open man.. I don't think the Mavs have enough fire power to win consistently by doing so.. Dirk is going to have to go off at times for this team to win in the playoffs. So, don't go into the games content with him passing out of double teams.. do some things to free him up. Let him receive the ball at the FT line and make it a bit more difficult for the Spurs to double.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 04:02 PM   #29
resendez13

resendez13 is infamous around these partsresendez13 is infamous around these parts

everyone saying more dirk? i agree he is the best player we have but when he isn't making shots like on monday night he is better off on the bench because he plays defense like a retarded monkey!!!
resendez13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 04:03 PM   #30
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

My key adjustment would be to win, rather than lose.

Good things will happen if they do that.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 04:09 PM   #31
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by resendez13 View Post
everyone saying more dirk? i agree he is the best player we have but when he isn't making shots like on monday night he is better off on the bench because he plays defense like a retarded monkey!!!
It's obvious as to why you've never posted before... Let's just hope you never post again.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 04:14 PM   #32
jamyoa

jamyoa is infamous around these partsjamyoa is infamous around these partsjamyoa is infamous around these partsjamyoa is infamous around these partsjamyoa is infamous around these partsjamyoa is infamous around these partsjamyoa is infamous around these partsjamyoa is infamous around these partsjamyoa is infamous around these partsjamyoa is infamous around these parts
Default Barea over Kidd at pt. guard!

I believe Rick should start J.J. at the pt. instead of Kidd, due to the fact that Kidd is too slow for Parker. Barea is our fastest guy on the team. Mavs must make Parker work hard on both ends. He doesn't have to play much defense on Kidd, cuz he knows Kidd can't shoot that well. Also J.J. brings energy to this team, he pushes the ball alot faster, versus Kidd's halfcourt style of play. Mavs need to push the ball everytime, and wear these old Spurs out. Spurs want to play Kidd's style, cuz it's a slow pace. That's the way they love to play. Rick must make a change, and make the Spurs play a fast pace game. These r the playoffs u must swallow your pride. Someone tell A. Wright to quit shooting so many 3's, he's not a good shooter. Somebody call his mama, and tell her to tell him!
jamyoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 04:17 PM   #33
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

we have a thread about adjustments for game 3.... so I'm moving your thread to it.

You are welcome.
Old 04-22-2009, 04:32 PM   #34
CadBane
Banned

CadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond repute

I think we should abandon the 3 guard lineup for a 5 guard lineup. Preferably MC, JJB, GG, Kidd and Terry. Clearly the more guards on the floor, the better your team.
CadBane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 05:41 PM   #35
mavsfan1000
Platinum Member

mavsfan1000 is a jewel in the roughmavsfan1000 is a jewel in the roughmavsfan1000 is a jewel in the roughmavsfan1000 is a jewel in the rough

Start Barea and have him on Parker. Ridiculous how easy it was for Parker in the first quarter of last game.
mavsfan1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 05:45 PM   #36
DubOverdose
Diamond Member

DubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthig32 View Post
My key adjustment would be to win, rather than lose.

Good things will happen if they do that.
That sums up my feelings.
DubOverdose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 05:48 PM   #37
bcrav4
Golden Member

bcrav4 is a name known to allbcrav4 is a name known to allbcrav4 is a name known to allbcrav4 is a name known to allbcrav4 is a name known to allbcrav4 is a name known to allbcrav4 is a name known to allbcrav4 is a name known to allbcrav4 is a name known to all

We're either gonna have to start collapsing the paint and make them win from the outside OR start funneling Parker into Dirk/Bass since Damp can't leave Duncan.
"They better not put me in the All-Star Game. I won't shoot, but I'll dominate that easy game. I'll be playing hard defense. I'll be foulin'. I'll be flagrant fouling. Everyone will be like, 'What are you doing?'" -- Ron Artest.
bcrav4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 05:49 PM   #38
Kidd Karma
Diamond Member

Kidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant future

I think having to start a balanced line up with Wright at the 2, we should have a few opportunities to post Kidd up on Parker. Plus I would imagine Pop would stick Parker on Kidd while allowing Bowen-Udoda-Mason to chase Terry around.
Kidd Karma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 05:52 PM   #39
Bayliss

Bayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond repute

Ride the friggin' Clydesdale. Carlisle in the last two games had a Clydesdale all primed and ready to pull the wagon in the snow. Instead, Carlisle left the Clydesdale in the damn barn and brought out the Shetland pony and hitched his wagon to it. Get ride of the damn Shetland and get the Clydesdale moving through the snow.
Bayliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 06:04 PM   #40
wilmtalk

wilmtalk is a splendid one to beholdwilmtalk is a splendid one to beholdwilmtalk is a splendid one to beholdwilmtalk is a splendid one to beholdwilmtalk is a splendid one to beholdwilmtalk is a splendid one to beholdwilmtalk is a splendid one to beholdwilmtalk is a splendid one to beholdwilmtalk is a splendid one to beholdwilmtalk is a splendid one to beholdwilmtalk is a splendid one to behold

The most important thing is being able to make in game adjustments which is what RC did not do. KIdd perhaps because he was still sick did not play well and the offense was stagnet. His passing was horrible. JJB did not have the same effect because he was not brought in to match up with Parker because by then Pops pulled him out. He did that so that a fresh JJB would not get in his head. He didn't match up with him until the both started in the second half. JJb might not stop Parker but he wouldn't let him get 19 in a Quarter either.

When the offense stagnates you can always put Dirk on the high post and run the offense through him. They will double him but if he passes quickly it will create ball movement. Not the whole game but just to get a different look. They did not get him the ball in his usual spots.

Damp did not play as well in the second game. He was giving effort but he put all his attention on Duncan who was drawing him out to open the lane for Parker. While he die well on Duncan we were getting killed in the center. He played a lot of min. which he is not used to playing the first game and he usually is tired the next. With Hollins quickness he would have done a better job of closing the lane while still covering Duncan. Placing Singleton in the line up might also have helped both offensively. He just brings them in at Garbage time. What did he have to lose by bringing them in earlier? Heck if you are that bad defensively bring in defensive players if it is just to throw them off their rythm.

The problem is RC. He doesn't ever make game adjustments. He usually sticks with a rotation even if it doesn't work. Against Golden State the line up was adjusted before the game. In this Game the line up wasn't working. Example-
Bass who provided offense in the first was ineffective at both the offensive and defensive end. So instead of trying other players ( singleton, Hollins ) he stays with his regular rotation even if it is not working and we are getting killed. He doesn't call any time outs in the first to make any adjustments to Parker and the stagnate offense. Then brings in JJB against another point against which he is not as effective defensively and tire's him out while Parker rests. Kidd was not effective on offense other than taking open shots which they always give him. He is there to provide ball movement and assists of which in the first half he only had one. Unless we adjust the defense to close the lane we need to always match JJB against Parker when possible. We all thought he adjusted in the first game.by bringing in JJb but it was just part of his natural rotation as evidenced by his lack of action in the second.

That second game would have been a perfect time to try some different line ups to test their effectiveness. We were up one game and the regular rotation looked really bad. Terry has been playing really poorly also. Not his shooting but his defense and ball movement decision making. Bass was not playing well. Damp was slow. Kidd had no positive effect on the offense and SA was taking Rb's away over his head and his passing was terrible. Dirk wasn't getting his shots but he always draws doubles so he should not have been pulled but they should have tried to get him the ball in his spots more. JH wasn't playing that badly so RC pulls him out as he usually does at the end of game's way before garbage time began. Still he doesn't bring in either Hollins or Singleton to try a different look.

That game was a complet waste and not just as a loss but also as a learning experience. People think Avery couldn't make adjustments but RC has a T*rd for a brain. Unless he had the same viris that Kidd did and that effected his thinking.
wilmtalk is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
balls, is this fantasy bball???, make some noise, outside spurs hotel, parker on his back