Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 03-16-2007, 10:19 PM   #1
ddh33
Platinum Member

ddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant future
Default Celtics @ Mavs: 53-11

Edit: This game was played in Dallas - not Boston. Title is wrong.

After a two game losing streak, Dallas found themselves needing a victory at home against a young Celtics team before heading out East on the road for the next 6 games. The Mavs started the game very sluggishly. They looked like they still had the last two games on their mind, a the young Celtics took a free shot at the Mavs. Boston was hot from the outside, and Paul Pierce was making life even more difficult for the Mavs without Buck and Devean. The Mavs were fortunate to find themselves down by only 10 at the half. But Dallas didn't need long to come roaring back into the game in the third quarter. They tied the game almost immediately with a big run, but they were never able to completely gain control of the game. The Celtics answered every run that Dallas made, and the game ended up coming down to the last possessions of the game.

I thought this was a great game for Dallas. This was the sort of game they needed to forget about what has happened in the last week, and since the game went down to the wire, it was a great game to work on crunch-time execution again after uncharacteristically failing miserably against the Suns.

Dallas won't be very happy with their game tonight. They got the win, and that is the most important thing. I didn't think the team played very well though. The defense wasn't up to par, and for much of the game, the offensive execution wasn't much better. Dallas even had some trouble taking care of the boards at times. Like I said, I thought the team looked kind of hungover after the last two losses.

How often does a guy coming off of a 30 point, 16 rebound, 6 assist night need redemption? If Dirk needed it, he got it tonight. Of all of the Mavs, I thought Dirk was the guy who looked most sluggish. I read his comment about how the Suns game kept him from sleeping, and all I was thinking while watching him the first 30 minutes of the game was that he looked like he hadn't slept. If he was sleepwalking on the floor though, he sure woke up in a big way. Dirk absolutely took the game over in the second half and delivered in a big way for his team. He had 26 points in the last 16 minutes of the game! 30 points, 12 rebounds, 4 assists, and 2 blocks. More importantly, he delivered. I know we have all come to expect that since we watch this team every night, but I thought it was great to see him have to go the line in crunch time and knock those free throws down. It's not fair for a guy to get blamed for not doing it twice, but never get credit for doing it every other time in his career. I know Dirk's not into "credit-taking", and I doubt anyone nationally will give it anyway in this kind of game, but it was still good for him to get back up there again.

I thought Josh Howard was the best player on the floor for the first three quarters of the game. Josh single handedly kept the Mavs in the game by driving the basketball and attacking the Celtics defense. After Dirk got going, Josh's big contributions came through his defense against Paul Pierce and hustle plays like diving on the floor and crashing the boards. He had 30 points, 8 rebounds, and 3 blocks. On any other night, he would be the big story of the game. Dirk's late game stardom overshadowed what Josh did that was equally as important.

Jason Terry just hits big shots. He had 16 points, including a couple of big baskets that kept Dallas close. Jet did a nice job of running the two man game with Dirk in the fourth quarter too. He made sure that Dirk was able to do damage.

Damp and Diop combined for 4 points, 9 rebounds, and 3 blocks. I thought Diop was the better, more effective center tonight. He flashed in a good way in the fourth quarter. His energy was a big boost to the team.

Devin Harris got another start in the absence of George and Buck. I thought Devin had a nice few minutes to open the game by getting into the lane, knocking down a jumper, and getting others some good looks. He tailed off afterwards, but he was able to make some important contributions later in the game by being a pest on defense. He also got into the lane several times for finishes that put the Celtics on their heels. He had his usual 9 points, 4 rebounds, 3 assists, and 2 steals.

Jerry Stackhouse came back down to Earth after a great game the last time out. Tonight Stack wasn't able to shoot as well, but he still worked his way to 11 points off the bench, and although he was a little outmatched while trying to guard Pierce, he did compete. I think his toughness and competitiveness really rubs off on his team. And make no mistake, Stack was on the floor when it mattered too. Maybe that's the best compliment you can give him.

Austin Croshere had a couple of nice moves inside. He make a few bad decisions with the ball too, but he did his job and gobbled up minutes.

Mo Ager got a little run in the first half. I thought he looked good on defense. He was quick and moved his feet well. I think he even forced a turnover or two. He never took a shot, and I thought he had a good look or two. He looked like he knew he shouldn't be shooting. I think he got the message from earlier in the season, don't you?

JJ Barea got some more minutes. He did just fine as a third point guard.

But like I said, this game was all about Dallas being able to execute in the second half. The team finally tightened the screws on defense, and started playing more crisply on the offensive end as well. Good win, and I'm not sure many people would have thought that after playing the Celtics.

Last edited by ddh33; 03-16-2007 at 10:21 PM.
ddh33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-16-2007, 10:22 PM   #2
capitalcity
Diamond Member

capitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant future

MVP.
Old 03-16-2007, 10:27 PM   #3
TheBlueVan
Golden Member

TheBlueVan is a name known to allTheBlueVan is a name known to allTheBlueVan is a name known to allTheBlueVan is a name known to allTheBlueVan is a name known to allTheBlueVan is a name known to allTheBlueVan is a name known to allTheBlueVan is a name known to all

good to have you back ddh
TheBlueVan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 10:42 PM   #4
left texas
Golden Member

left texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond repute

Dirk perfect from the field and the line in the fourth!
left texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 10:50 PM   #5
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

u2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond repute

I love Dirk.

Our Defense of late has me extremely concerned. Outside of the 3rd quarter of Phoenix game I haven't seen our D lately. Is it Devean? I would ask if it's Devin, but he played the GS game.

Let me borrow a hardlineism and say that we really need to get our heads right with ball. I'm extremely happy with the win though.

And ddh, I'm glad you came back to post this.
Old 03-16-2007, 11:06 PM   #6
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with u2 about the defense.

I was thinking the exact same thing in the 4th quarter tonight.
Old 03-16-2007, 11:19 PM   #7
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

Just got back from the game. The first half was just ugly. It was downright excrutiating to sit through. I was almost ready to go home. Then Dirk woke up toward the end of the third, and from then on, it was really an incredible game. I think the rest of the crowd shared my feelings. It was dead quiet for most of the game. Almost pathetic really. Then when the Mavs, most of all Dirk, started playing with heart, the place went nuts. It was really interesting to see a game change like that, from night to day.
Thespiralgoeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 11:30 PM   #8
Dirkadirkastan
Diamond Member

Dirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thespiralgoeson
Just got back from the game. The first half was just ugly. It was downright excrutiating to sit through. I was almost ready to go home. Then Dirk woke up toward the end of the third, and from then on, it was really an incredible game. I think the rest of the crowd shared my feelings. It was dead quiet for most of the game. Almost pathetic really. Then when the Mavs, most of all Dirk, started playing with heart, the place went nuts. It was really interesting to see a game change like that, from night to day.
That's crap. The AAC needs to be the Yankee Stadium of basketball. Getting all somber against the damn Celtics is sad.

Last edited by Dirkadirkastan; 03-16-2007 at 11:31 PM.
Dirkadirkastan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 11:34 PM   #9
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirkadirkastan
That's crap. The AAC needs to be the Yankee Stadium of basketball. Getting all somber against the damn Celtics is sad.
Well, it's hard not to get somber when your team plays like shit. Even moreso when coming off of a heart-breaking loss. I mean, until the last couple of minutes of the third, the Mavs were trailing, and Dirk didn't even seem like the same person. But as soon as the Mavs put a little run together, the place went nuts.
Thespiralgoeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 11:38 PM   #10
Dirkadirkastan
Diamond Member

Dirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thespiralgoeson
Well, it's hard not to get somber when your team plays like shit. Even moreso when coming off of a heart-breaking loss. I mean, until the last couple of minutes of the third, the Mavs were trailing, and Dirk didn't even seem like the same person. But as soon as the Mavs put a little run together, the place went nuts.
Right, I'm just commenting on that whole situation.
Dirkadirkastan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 12:11 AM   #11
huashengdou

huashengdou is on a distinguished road

Dirk woke up in the fourth quarter .Great ,wish you can forget the last games .
Old 03-17-2007, 12:31 AM   #12
DavidDaMonkey
Platinum Member

DavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond repute

You do have to remember, we ended the second quarter with no starters on the floor. For pere's sake, MO was even getting minutes.

Now this may be due to injuries, but I like to think its Avery just getting the bench players ready for playoffs. Winning these games is not the only goal at this point.

So when we only inch by in a game that should be a blowout, I'm not too worried.
Old 03-17-2007, 01:20 AM   #13
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Whatever. That crowd was as hungover as the mavs were. And it appears the suns were as well, but unlucky enough to play a much better team than we did.

If you were there, gripe about it, if you weren't..your opinion about the crowd doesn't mean very much.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’

Last edited by dude1394; 03-17-2007 at 01:21 AM.
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 01:40 AM   #14
nashtymavsfan13
Diamond Member

nashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant future

Updates on Buck and DG? How'd Devin look?

"He's as valuable as anyone. The most unusual thing is that they lose last year's MVP and still get better. It's unheard of."

"For a team as good as the Mavs, the regular season is just 82 practice games until the real season begins." -G-Man

"We wanted this for Dirk because of his heart, his class, his work ethic, his humility, his sense of humor, his respect for the game, and his respect for people."
nashtymavsfan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 07:04 AM   #15
kriD
Platinum Member

kriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to all

Mavs survive a scare, 106-101

01:53 AM CDT on Saturday, March 17, 2007
By EDDIE SEFKO / The Dallas Morning News
esefko@dallasnews.com

The Mavericks claim they haven't reached panic territory yet.

But they were on the exit ramp Friday night.

With under a minute left against the Boston Celtics – that's the 19-46 Celtics who don't even qualify as legitimate descendants of their glory years – the Mavericks were locked a one-point game and were ripe for their third consecutive loss.

This would have been a bigger headline than a No. 1 seed losing to one of those Cinderellas in the NCAA Tournament.

It didn't happen, thanks to Dirk Nowitzki, who brushed off an un-MVP-like first three quarters and rescued the Mavericks when they were hanging by their fingernails. He either scored or assisted on 14 of the Mavericks' final 16 points as they eked out a 106-101 victory at American Airlines Center to stop their two-game skid and calm any serious fears that they had lost some mojo.

Or did they?

It can be argued fairly reasonably that they played a poorer game than they had in losing in double-overtime to the Phoenix Suns on Wednesday. It's just that the degree of difficulty in this one was way down, too.

"Whether it's a funk or a rut or whatever, we're just not getting after it defensively," coach Avery Johnson said. "Things that we didn't tolerate earlier in the season, we're tolerating them now.

"This might be a little cycle of the season. We just got to fight our way out of it."

The Celtics shot a ridiculous 57.6 percent in the first half. Bear in mind that Boston was shooting 44.5 percent for the season coming in, better than only five teams in the league. And so, the Mavericks found themselves in a dogfight in the fourth quarter. Until then, Nowitzki had 11 points and was 4-for-13 from the field.

But he came alive when it was most needed, atoning for a tough evening down the stretch against the Suns.

After Josh Howard had kept the Mavs afloat with 30 points, 26 in the first three quarters, Nowitzki was 5-for-5 from the field and had 19 points, five rebounds and two assists in the final frame, finishing with 30 overall.

"It was a weird game for me," he said. "I couldn't really get going. I had a tough time getting over the Phoenix game. I didn't sleep well the last couple nights and was sleepwalking out there for a while.

"We know we're not playing our best right now. But we don't want to be at our best right now. Hopefully we're building toward the playoffs."

Once the Mavericks shook off any hangover from Wednesday, they still weren't good enough defensively to separate from the Celtics.

The score was 85-85 after Gerald Green scored six points on two possessions for the Celtics. They stayed on the Mavs' heels and, after Nowitzki found Jerry Stackhouse for a wide-open dunk with 1:16 left, two Paul Pierce free throws left the Celtics trailing 100-99 with 1:03 left.

But Nowitzki, who already had been brutalizing the Celtics by driving to the rim, did so again and was fouled for two free throws with 47.1 left. When Allan Ray missed for the Celtics, Nowitzki nailed a turnaround jumper from 14 feet with 4.8 to go for a 104-99 lead, effectively sealing the victory.

"We felt like we had to have this game," Johnson said. "I was disappointed in the first half, but we had a better third quarter."

Part of the reason was that Johnson at halftime made sure his players knew that they had to address their mistakes in the second half.

"I was disappointed at halftime and said a lot of things," Johnson said. "When you lose a game, the world is not coming to an end. I wanted them to know that if I say they're bad, they're bad. And if I say they're good, they're good."

So which was it this time?

"Right now," Johnson said, "the video is not pretty. We're in a real horror film."

But at least this one had a happy ending, unlike the last two.
kriD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 08:18 AM   #16
left texas
Golden Member

left texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond repute

Look we won tonight, Suns lost. Boston has been playing better of late. Sure you can say Suns had the tougher opponant in the Pistons, but they lost 105 to 83. Now 6 games on the road starting with those Pistons. Seems evergame is getting bigger and bigger no matter who we play, as well it should at this time of year. We need to hold to the number one seed.
left texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 09:03 AM   #17
shaw-xx
Golden Member

shaw-xx is a name known to allshaw-xx is a name known to allshaw-xx is a name known to allshaw-xx is a name known to allshaw-xx is a name known to allshaw-xx is a name known to allshaw-xx is a name known to allshaw-xx is a name known to all

The part I love the most of the game is they drove hard to the basket. Now keep focus on the road.
Old 03-17-2007, 10:18 AM   #18
Silk Smoov
Banned

Silk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
I dont agree with that at all. I am a die-hard season ticket holder and the Mavs last night was lucky that we did not "Boo" them going into half-time. Our team played like shit the entire first half. I felt like we needed to "Boo" them to get them going, but it seemed that we all felt a little sorry for our team and decided to be a lil quiet rather than "Boo" them. In the 2nd half when the Mavs started to play, it felt like a playoff game in the arena. We cheered them on like crazy, and we were playing the Celtics.

As far as the Yankee Stadium, have you been to there games? If so, then you know that the Yankee fans will "Boo" there players in a "New York Minute"

Quote:
Getting all somber against the damn Celtics is sad.
Come on, you have to admit that the Mavs were more somber than the fans. The Mavs could have easily gotten blasted by us fans. Our Mavs looked a mess in the 1st half. Another thing, if you are not at the arena, you miss the body language of the players going into time-outs as well. I promise, the Mavs were a walking dead for the 1st half. It looked like they did not have any fight. They showed nothing at all. It was frustrating to watch them.
Silk Smoov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 10:42 AM   #19
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Right on silk. Folks sitting at home don't realize that the fans have an ebb and flow to them as well. They aren't robot noisemakers screaming their heads off for 3 hours. It it were the nfl and you had 8 home games maybe, but we're talking 45+, then playoffs. No one (and I daresay yankee fans either during a regular season) are bonkers at all times.

I thought I heard a boo murmuring out there as well. The celtics really took a big swing at the mavs and the mavs were hungover is all I can say and played like it. Thank goodness the dirkster woke up or we'd be in bad shape.

As it is, we are in no worse shape than before the suns game and two more are in the books.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
Old 03-17-2007, 10:51 AM   #20
MavsX
Diamond Member

MavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond repute

were back
MavsX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 11:23 AM   #21
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by MavsX
were back

We never left! The GS game was a bit of a fluke (not getting into this one, Chum) and Phoenix only won by 2 points in double overtime - that's about as good as a team can lose... I just hope they're getting this out of their system before the playoffs...

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 12:23 PM   #22
dude1394
Guru

I like Paul Pierce, always have. It's been kind of a shame that he had to deal with that idiot walker and now the team continues to just not get anything done. maybe he'll get lucky with a high pick that will make a difference.
Old 03-17-2007, 10:18 PM   #23
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

DDH, I truly appreciate your contributions. Thank you for the thread and your hard work.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 11:15 PM   #24
dude1394
Guru

Can you STILL hate stackhouse murph?? Speaking of the dirkster.
http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcont...e.36635f4.html

Quote:
"A huge part of me accepting this (sixth-man) role and wanting to be in this situation is because of him," Stackhouse said. "I've played with some great players that get labeled by the media and everybody else. But as far as the only guy I feel I have a chance to win a championship with in 12 years, it's him."

Last edited by dude1394; 03-17-2007 at 11:16 PM.
Old 03-17-2007, 11:24 PM   #25
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude1394
Can you STILL hate stackhouse murph?? Speaking of the dirkster.
http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcont...e.36635f4.html
That's a bold statement!
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 11:38 PM   #26
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

Perhaps Stack should accept the role of 6th man because he's no longer good enough to be a legit #1 guy.

As for Stack..I'll never like the guy. Do I see hsi value? Yes, I do. I never thought that he'd play with any sort of intelligence. That just wasn't his style. But, he's not playing like a total f'ing basketball moron this year.
Old 03-17-2007, 11:40 PM   #27
mary
Troll Hunter

mary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond repute

That's some good stuff from Stack.

"I don't know what went wrong," said guard Thabo Sefolosha. "It's hard to talk about it."
mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 11:52 PM   #28
Murphy3
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by chumdawg
That's a bold statement!
So, why's he a 41% shooter?
Old 03-18-2007, 12:18 AM   #29
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy3
So, why's he a 41% shooter?
Honestly, 41% isn't all that bad from a guy who is kinda serving as your heart and soul.
Old 03-18-2007, 01:00 AM   #30
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

From that DMN article...
Quote:
"He took his time, got what he wanted and eventually took over the game."

yeah. mvp.
Old 03-18-2007, 01:14 AM   #31
Murphy3
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by chumdawg
Honestly, 41% isn't all that bad from a guy who is kinda serving as your heart and soul.
The heart and soul thing is way overblown. Take stack away and plug in any serviceable swingman and the Mavs would have pretty much the same record. Their heart and souls are AJ and Dirk....that's it.

As for 41% not being bad...unless he's getting to the line an insane amount of times or hitting an insanely high percentage of his threes which account for an insane percentage of his total field goal attempts, 41% isn't good.

Regardless, I was talking about his career. I don't know what he's shooting this year. Like I said, he's not playing like a total idiot this year. I'm pleasantly surprised.
Old 03-18-2007, 01:21 AM   #32
Rhylan
Minister of Soul

Rhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with Murph so long as the person you plugged in for Stack had the same sort of edge.

What I mean by that is, the Mavs have some players who play great when they get a controlled anger going. Josh, Devin to an extent, and especially JET and Dirk. My biggest problem, especially with Dirk in the years while Nash and Fin were here, is that our guys sometimes take way too long to get that controlled anger going. You have to have a shorter fuse than that if you're going to win championsihps.

Stack, warts and all, consistently has that edge. Usually, he gets into pissed-Stack mode and take his intensity to another level a full half-a-quarter ahead of the other guys. The other guys feed off that.

I think that's why Avery loves him so much.
Rhylan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 01:21 AM   #33
twelli
Diamond Member

twelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant future

Stack has his shortcomings, but his aggressiveness and short-range game is a great asset off the bench. Avery praises his warrior mentality and I think that rubs off on other players who are maybe 'softer' by nature. Good to have him on board. Good that he's not our 1. option on his position, too...

“He’s always around 23 or 24,” West said. “The bell rings every day.”
twelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 01:23 AM   #34
chumdawg
Guru

Quote:
The heart and soul thing is way overblown. Take stack away and plug in any serviceable swingman and the Mavs would have pretty much the same record. Their heart and souls are AJ and Dirk....that's it.

As for 41% not being bad...unless he's getting to the line an insane amount of times or hitting an insanely high percentage of his threes which account for an insane percentage of his total field goal attempts, 41% isn't good.

Regardless, I was talking about his career. I don't know what he's shooting this year. Like I said, he's not playing like a total idiot this year. I'm pleasantly surprised.
I don't care what he's shooting for his career. For that matter, there is precious little he can do this year that will affect his career numbers all that much.

The guy is absolutely filling it up of late--and I'm sorry if you think his leadership is overblown, but hey...I'm just sayin'...he's the only guy on this squad who will give Kirk Snyder what's coming to him in the tunnel. Know what I mean?
Old 03-18-2007, 01:36 AM   #35
Murphy3
Guru

I'd like to see Stack get what's coming to him... but that's just me.
Old 03-18-2007, 01:42 AM   #36
chumdawg
Guru

Quote:
I'd like to see Stack get what's coming to him... but that's just me.
Ha. I'm willing to bet that, tattoos notwithstanding, there's not a guy getting an NBA contract who would relish mixing it up with Jerry Stackhouse in a dark tunnel.

Like it or not, he's a tough son of a bitch.
Old 03-18-2007, 01:45 AM   #37
Murphy3
Guru

I've never seen him do anything that would make me think he's any tougher than anyone else in the league. Yes, he might have a little more attitude, but I don't have an reason to think he'd be any tougher.

Last edited by Murphy3; 03-18-2007 at 01:46 AM.
Old 03-18-2007, 01:52 AM   #38
pkdumas
Golden Member

pkdumas is a name known to allpkdumas is a name known to allpkdumas is a name known to allpkdumas is a name known to allpkdumas is a name known to allpkdumas is a name known to allpkdumas is a name known to allpkdumas is a name known to allpkdumas is a name known to allpkdumas is a name known to allpkdumas is a name known to all

Did you see him throw Shaq to the concrete in the NBA Finals?
Old 03-18-2007, 01:53 AM   #39
pkdumas
Golden Member

pkdumas is a name known to allpkdumas is a name known to allpkdumas is a name known to allpkdumas is a name known to allpkdumas is a name known to allpkdumas is a name known to allpkdumas is a name known to allpkdumas is a name known to allpkdumas is a name known to allpkdumas is a name known to allpkdumas is a name known to all

..and then look at the massive fatass like "bring it"?
Old 03-18-2007, 02:05 AM   #40
chumdawg
Guru

Quote:
I've never seen him do anything that would make me think he's any tougher than anyone else in the league. Yes, he might have a little more attitude, but I don't have an reason to think he'd be any tougher.
Please. That dude is just *begging* for a fight every time he steps on the floor. He would literally like to come to blows with most all his opponents. His record supports this, too!

Can you think of another NBA player that is more eager to kick the shit out of another player than Jerry Stackhouse is?

I'm telling you, that dude has a thirst for blood. He can get it from Kirk Snyder in a tunnel, or he can take it out of someone's ass, like he did when he went off for 30+ against the Suns.

Honestly, who would you least rather see, among NBA players, in a dark alley?