Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 02-10-2008, 09:42 PM   #1
ddh33
Platinum Member

ddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant future
Default Mavs at Nets: L 34-16

New Jersey 101, Dallas 82. Didn't see that coming. The Mavs were actually up double figures halfway through the second quarter when the wheels fell off. From the mid-point of the second to the mid-point of the third, the Nets were +30. Let me say that again. Within a 12 minute span, the Mavs were outscored by 30 points by the New Jersey Freaking Nets! Seriously.

I know Devin is out. I know Stack is missing. I know Damp barely played. But come on. Dallas was bad on offense, bad on defense, and out-rebounded.

I don't know about you guys, but these sort of games don't exactly inspire me. I'm not feeling the whole "we love our team" mantra. I don't think championship teams do this. Hope I'm wrong.

Vince Carter got hot tonight, and the Mavs couldn't do anything with him. You saw why I would still be willing to make an offer for him, hoping to get him cheap.

Jason Kidd was probably the best player on the court too. During that run I mentioned, Jason Kidd looked like a composer or something. He just directed that show, ran the game at the tempo he wanted, and got everybody good looks.

We really miss Devin Harris. Have I said that yet? Harris is so much better than a lot of fans realize at doing a lot of those same things, and Devin's ability to put the ball in the basket while making life easier for his teammates is irreplaceable.

JJ was a non-factor.

Seems like Eddie Jones hasn't done anything in a while but foul. I think he's missing Devin as much as anybody.

Josh didn't shoot well, and he wasn't a factor on the boards. He was the third best swing man on the floor today.

Dirk's stat line was a lot better than he was today. 21-8-4 usually earns some compliments. Today, I thought he looked a step slow, and he couldn't make shots.

Jason Terry still isn't a point guard. He couldn't do anything to control pace, and Kidd went wherever he wanted when Jet was on him.

Bass was good again. Like I said, we're at the point where you can just about expect 12 and 6 from every night.

George was active but not overly impressive.

Diop had 4, 4, and 2 blocks. He didn't get a lot of minutes though.

Just a bad game from a lot of people.
ddh33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-10-2008, 09:59 PM   #2
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

It seemed like tonight's game was a showcase for why the Mavs should go after Kidd...

Everything he did, Dallas needed (14 assists, 13 points, 6 rebounds - our PGs COMBINED for 5 assists, 13 points, 6 rebounds...)

Not that I think he's the solution to all our problems, but he would have been tonight...

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.

Last edited by Underdog; 02-10-2008 at 10:01 PM.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 10:08 PM   #3
Usually Lurkin
Diamond Member

Usually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond repute

It's also a good showcase for why it's a bad idea to wake Carter out of his normal state of apathy. I was real happy that Bass battled so hard for that possession until I saw how fired up Carter was when he came back. Would've made for a great game if any of the Mavs had gotten equally excited about playing a game of basketball.
Usually Lurkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 10:10 PM   #4
Dirkadirkastan
Diamond Member

Dirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddh33
I don't know about you guys, but these sort of games don't exactly inspire me. I'm not feeling the whole "we love our team" mantra. I don't think championship teams do this. Hope I'm wrong.
It's a blessing in disguise if it turns out to be a rude wake-up call to the front office.
Dirkadirkastan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 10:13 PM   #5
Bookit
Diamond Member

Bookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud of

You have to love blessing in disguises.
Bookit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 10:52 PM   #6
MavsX
Diamond Member

MavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond repute

this game tonight was pathetic...at least we were up by 11 in the 2nd..and the jesus H christ..the team decides to punt and bam..we suck.

i hope the front office wakes up and does something!

also, what the F is up with avery using a timeout at 40 seconds into the game.! god i am sick of the general!

and play dirk at the 4
MavsX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 11:02 PM   #7
Dim499
Platinum Member

Dim499 has much to be proud ofDim499 has much to be proud ofDim499 has much to be proud ofDim499 has much to be proud ofDim499 has much to be proud ofDim499 has much to be proud ofDim499 has much to be proud ofDim499 has much to be proud ofDim499 has much to be proud ofDim499 has much to be proud ofDim499 has much to be proud of

Remeber when Dirk used to make open 3s?

He's averaging 7% in February (5 games)
Dim499 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 11:08 PM   #8
Locked_Up_Tonight
Platinum Member

Locked_Up_Tonight is a splendid one to beholdLocked_Up_Tonight is a splendid one to beholdLocked_Up_Tonight is a splendid one to beholdLocked_Up_Tonight is a splendid one to beholdLocked_Up_Tonight is a splendid one to beholdLocked_Up_Tonight is a splendid one to beholdLocked_Up_Tonight is a splendid one to beholdLocked_Up_Tonight is a splendid one to beholdLocked_Up_Tonight is a splendid one to beholdLocked_Up_Tonight is a splendid one to beholdLocked_Up_Tonight is a splendid one to behold

He still makes 3s at home.
Old 02-10-2008, 11:08 PM   #9
Five-ofan
Guru

Five-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond repute

the problem with bass is that while he has been decent this year, hes bad for the team in the role we are currently using him. If he is playing with dirk, its terrible because you dont move your superstar 4 to the 5 in order to make room for your semi-decent backup pf and if we play him as dirks backup, the mavs are just awful offensively with him and either diop or dampier on the court. he only helps us when we play the warriors and i think hell help with the suns now but thats it.
Five-ofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 11:13 PM   #10
FINtastic
Diamond Member

FINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond repute

That's the thing that sucks about the Bass signing. He's a nice player and you want to use him, but he plays the same position as Dirk, and you can't really get away with playing him alongside Dirk.

"Ok, Go Mavericks!"
-Avery Johnson
FINtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 11:16 PM   #11
Dim499
Platinum Member

Dim499 has much to be proud ofDim499 has much to be proud ofDim499 has much to be proud ofDim499 has much to be proud ofDim499 has much to be proud ofDim499 has much to be proud ofDim499 has much to be proud ofDim499 has much to be proud ofDim499 has much to be proud ofDim499 has much to be proud ofDim499 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by MavsX
also, what the F is up with avery using a timeout at 40 seconds into the game.! god i am sick of the general!
Avery has been known to call early timeouts.
Dim499 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 11:46 PM   #12
BGMaverick9
Guru

BGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond repute

It was weird watching this game because they were up and then all of the sudden it seemed like they got their bell rung. What exactly is the problem with this team on the road?

This team can not stay healthy for the life of them right now.

I know people can overreact after a loss, but this team is just not there yet. After the All-Star Break you have to start getting in gear. The West is stacked like crazy and you can't afford not to bring your A-game.
BGMaverick9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 11:50 PM   #13
Caseman
Golden Member

Caseman is a name known to allCaseman is a name known to allCaseman is a name known to allCaseman is a name known to allCaseman is a name known to allCaseman is a name known to allCaseman is a name known to allCaseman is a name known to allCaseman is a name known to all

Like I said in the game thread:

"Man, does anyone remember how last season felt so good. Just knowing, every game the Mavericks played, the opponents would have to beat them because they weren't going to beat themselves. Now, watching this year's games, I have to idly witness the Mavericks clank one shot after another after another, until they blow a 11 point lead and then lose by 20. That's 30 freaking points differential! That's college numbers, not an NBA game!

The problem is, some nights they move the ball and their feet well, and other times they don't seem motivated. They think they are better than everyone else and don't try when they face the Nets, when they face the Clippers, when they face the Kings. They take each team for granted and play as so.

And when the shots don't drop, they will never drop. Two miss shots turn to four miss shots, four to eight, eight to sixteen. Once they are off their groove, they rarely can find it again. It's strange that a team that carries so much arrogance from last season also have zero confidence when they are behind.

Avery, Dirk, somebody, needs to talk to this team and humble their game and teach them some freaking discipline at away games."
Caseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 04:32 AM   #14
twelli
Diamond Member

twelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant future

Dirk played well in the first quarter. Then he sat until 5 minutes left in the second, which is understandable, because the Mavs played well without him and considering the schedule this week. Giving him rest worked well against Memphis, but not this time. The Nets focused their defense on him once he came back, and when he passed to open teammates, they didn't make their shots. It was kind of contagious. In the end no one seemed to shoot well. The Nets on the other hand had some lucky bounces and fed off Carter coming back after being knocked down by Bass. Just one of those games where everything went to other way. Philly will be totally different.

When Jones missed a three from the corner, I thought, the reason we acquired him is to hit those damn shots. Disappointing effort.

Barea is not really that reliable.

Howard is so average sometimes... same goes for Terry.

Bass had actually some nice plays.

Avery calling a timeout in the first minute of the game is not a good sign...

“He’s always around 23 or 24,” West said. “The bell rings every day.”
twelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 05:15 AM   #15
left texas
Golden Member

left texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond repute

How is it we were up double digits playing Damp and Diop and then it's to remember seeing either one on the floor again?
left texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 05:21 AM   #16
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

I am really not optimistic about our chances this year. This team just plays flat out horribly on the road. I only hope to god that the organization makes a big trade within the next 9 days that will galvanize the team.
Thespiralgoeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 06:53 AM   #17
Locked_Up_Tonight
Platinum Member

Locked_Up_Tonight is a splendid one to beholdLocked_Up_Tonight is a splendid one to beholdLocked_Up_Tonight is a splendid one to beholdLocked_Up_Tonight is a splendid one to beholdLocked_Up_Tonight is a splendid one to beholdLocked_Up_Tonight is a splendid one to beholdLocked_Up_Tonight is a splendid one to beholdLocked_Up_Tonight is a splendid one to beholdLocked_Up_Tonight is a splendid one to beholdLocked_Up_Tonight is a splendid one to beholdLocked_Up_Tonight is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
I am really not optimistic about our chances this year. This team just plays flat out horribly on the road. I only hope to god that the organization makes a big trade within the next 9 days that will galvanize the team.
Who is optimistic? Good teams win on the road. And gone are the days of the Mavs making a trade. Last year what did they do? They sent away Anthony Johnson for a second round pick. Way to upgrade talent!
Old 02-11-2008, 09:14 AM   #18
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dim499
Remeber when Dirk used to make open 3s?

He's averaging 7% in February (5 games)
It is a real problem isn't it. His threes have been wide-stinkin open as well. Sheesh...Holger, where are you? I guess holgers in the weight room as well. Maybe it will take dirk all season to get used to being so massive.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 09:21 AM   #19
horse900703
Diamond Member

horse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud of

Bad game!!!!
horse900703 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 11:48 AM   #20
MavsX
Diamond Member

MavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond repute

well, when we get knocked out of the playoffs this year..it will come as no surprise to all of us.

then maybe we can make some deals, enough of this, "i like our team" bull$hit
MavsX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 05:10 PM   #21
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote