Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Around the NBA

Old 07-29-2003, 08:08 PM   #1
MavsFanFinley
Guru

MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute
Default Clippers match Maggette

Clippers match offer sheet to Maggette

By JOHN NADEL, AP Sports Writer

July 29, 2003

LOS ANGELES (AP) -- The Los Angeles Clippers retained shooting guard Corey Maggette on Tuesday, matching the offer sheet he signed July 14 with the Utah Jazz.

The Clippers previously kept forward Elton Brand by matching the offer sheet he signed with the Miami Heat, and have until Wednesday to decide whether they'll match the offer sheet point guard Andre Miller signed with Denver.

Maggette signed a six-year offer sheet with Utah believed to be worth $42 million. He is now under contract for those terms with the Clippers.

Brand's contract is believed to be worth $83 million over six years while the offer sheet Miller signed with Denver is for six years for more than $51 million.

``Through consistent hard work and effort, Corey has improved his game each year he has been in the league, and there is no reason to believe he won't continue to get even better,'' Clippers general manager Elgin Baylor said in a statement. ``We're really glad that he will be back for the long term.''

The 6-foot-6 Maggette is coming off his best season, averaging 16.8 points, 5.0 rebounds and 31.3 minutes in 64 games. He ranked second on the team in scoring, increasing his average by 5.4 points over the previous season.

The 23-year-old Maggette has averaged 11.5 points, 4.2 rebounds and 23.3 minutes in 273 career games over four seasons.

``I am very excited about the opportunity to coach Corey,'' new Clippers coach Mike Dunleavy said. ``Obviously, I have followed him closely since his days at Duke. He has done a terrific job of developing his all-around game and I look forward to being a part of his continued development.''

Maggette played one season at Duke before making himself available for the NBA draft. He was a first-round pick of Seattle in 1999 -- the 13th overall selection -- before being traded to Orlando. He averaged 8.4 points in his one season with the Magic and 10.0 points and 11.4 points in his first two years with the Clippers.

The Clippers' decision to match Utah's offer sheet was another blow to the Jazz. John Stockton retired following last season, and Karl Malone signed with the Los Angeles Lakers earlier this month as a free agent.

In addition, Utah struck out in its attempts to sign Andre Miller to an offer sheet, and Brad Miller to a free-agent contract. The Jazz have about $20 million to spend under the salary cap of $43.84 million announced by the NBA earlier this month.

Old 07-29-2003, 09:31 PM   #2
mavsfanforever
Diamond Member

mavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of light

The Jazz got royally screwed now.
Old 07-29-2003, 10:15 PM   #3
MavsFanFinley
Guru

MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Clippers match Maggette

Yeah, not sure who's left that the Jazz can sign now. Other than Stephen Jackson.

The Clippers seem to be keeping their word on matching any offer for Brand, Maggette, and Odom.

Atlanta has already said they'd match any offer for Jason Terry, who the Jazz signed an offer sheet too.

If nothing else, other teams are making sure the teams of restricted free agents are paying to keep those players.
Old 07-29-2003, 10:51 PM   #4
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

If we think WE'RE having a bad off season then we should walk a mile in Utah's shoes.
MFFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2003, 10:59 PM   #5
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

FilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally posted by: MFFL
If we think WE'RE having a bad off season then we should walk a mile in Utah's shoes.
There bright spot is at the 3 with Kirlenkio and Harpring. Every other position is just horrible.

1996-2005
FilthyFinMavs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2003, 10:59 PM   #6
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm still stunned that the Clips actually matched anything.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2003, 11:17 PM   #7
MavsFanFinley
Guru

Quote:
I'm still stunned that the Clips actually matched anything.
I wonder if the players feel that way as well? Didn't Brands agent say that they were going to put so many things in his contract to have Sterling thinking twice about matching?

If Odom is afraid of being matched, he'll probably sign that one year offer to keep from being stuck in LA for years.
Old 07-29-2003, 11:22 PM   #8
Nash13
Diamond Member

Nash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud of

I think that the Clipper players don't mind playing for that team, but they wanted to leave b/c they think the conditions their are so bad.

Why are the Clippers trying to hold out on their salary cap? It's not like any big free agent would want to play there.
The wind rises electric. She's soft and warm and almost weightless. Her perfume is sweet promise that brings tears to my eyes. I tell her that everything will be all right; that I'll save her from whatever she's scared and take her far far away. I tell her that I love her. The silencer makes a whisper of the gunshot. I hold her close until she's gone. I'll never know what she was running from. I'll cash her check in the morning.

~The Salesman
Nash13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2003, 11:26 PM   #9
mavsfanforever
Diamond Member

mavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally posted by: Nash13
I think that the Clipper players don't mind playing for that team, but they wanted to leave b/c they think the conditions their are so bad.

Why are the Clippers trying to hold out on their salary cap? It's not like any big free agent would want to play there.

Why wouldn't the players want to play in LA?
Old 07-30-2003, 03:58 PM   #10
jayC
Diamond Member

jayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nice

THe clips are still the clips bottom line. Goodbye kandi hello chris marcus, goodbye miller hello kenyon dooling, I am so underwhelmed about the clips.
jayC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2003, 06:55 PM   #11
centrlpark08

centrlpark08 is on a distinguished road

that group is still young and have tons of potential in each one of them. that team is going to just get better just watch. i think if they could bring in a couple of veterans and continue on building around the young players they could be a dominant team .....SOMEDAY.
Old 07-31-2003, 01:56 PM   #12
JoshHoward5

JoshHoward5 is on a distinguished road

Maybe so, but not any time soon. The West is going to be as tough as ever this year. Poor Jazz . . .
JoshHoward5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2003, 01:39 PM   #13
asola

asola is on a distinguished road

I think this can be a classic case of addition by substraction. A 27-win team who loses its starting PG and C without adding anyone significant could end up having a best record this year. The players who are there are now signed to long term deals and can focus on playing for their team success. Elton Brand is bound to have a great year, I think, and Melvin Ely is a player I like. Now if this weren't the Clips, Lamar Odom played well enough so that either he or Maggette could be traded, and Jaric/Dooling did a decent job at PG, I might think they have a future...