Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 09-08-2002, 07:47 PM   #1
Dirk77
Banned

Dirk77 is on a distinguished road

Nowitzki Named Tournament MVP

Dirk Nowitzki was the tournament's leading scorer in leading Germany to the bronze medal, its first ever in the World Basketball Championship. (Photo by Peter Bick)
Indianapolis, Sept. 8 -Versatile forward Dirk Nowitzki, who led Germany to its first medal ever in the event, was named Most Valuable Player of the World Basketball Championship on Sunday.

Nowitzki averaged 24.0 points, 8.2 rebounds and 2.0 blocked shots for Germany (6-3). In the bronze-medal victory over New Zealand on Sunday, he scored 25 of his 29 points in the first half.

Peja Stojakovic, who averaged 18.8 points to lead gold-medal winning Yugoslavia, was named to the All-Tournament Team at guard along with Argentina's Emanuel Ginobili, who averaged 16.9 points before suffering a sprained ankle in the semifinals.

The All-Tournament forwards were Nowitzki and Pero Cameron of New Zealand, the burly big man who averaged 14.7 points, 5.0 rebounds and 3.6 assists for the fourth-place finishers.

China's Yao Ming, who averaged 21.0 points, 9.3 rebounds, 2.25 blocked shots and shot an astounding 75 percent from the field (55 of 73) was the center of choice.
Dirk77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-08-2002, 09:30 PM   #2
seelenjaeger
Diamond Member

seelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to all

Wouldnt have taken Ming - he dominated vs. weak competition and couldnt compete with the better ones. Oberto was dominating imho. I was VERY impressed with him. Well, politics ...
Old 09-09-2002, 12:15 AM   #3
irontoad
Golden Member

irontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to all

Congratulations, Dirk!
Old 09-09-2002, 04:48 AM   #4
veruca salt
Platinum Member

veruca salt will become famous soon enough

Pero.
hahaha, this is so amusing.

Smile like you mean it
veruca salt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2002, 09:23 AM   #5
nowitzki_prophecy
Platinum Member

nowitzki_prophecy is a jewel in the roughnowitzki_prophecy is a jewel in the roughnowitzki_prophecy is a jewel in the roughnowitzki_prophecy is a jewel in the roughnowitzki_prophecy is a jewel in the rough

yeah,the man desereved it,despite his incononsistancy.
nowitzki_prophecy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2002, 09:34 AM   #6
Chef Ed

Chef Ed is on a distinguished road

I wonder what this will do for Dirk's confidence coming into camp? It starts in less than 4 weeks, and you have to believe that he will come into camp ready to play, and in great shape. Thank goodness no Mav got hurt during all of this.
You also have to wonder about Raef. I read somewhere that he was in Karl's dog house, and he stayed there for much of the tourney. I also wonder about his mind set coming into camp.......
Old 09-09-2002, 10:36 AM   #7
Rhylan
Minister of Soul

Rhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond repute

I hope that Raef is smart enough to realize that since George Karl can't coach his way out of a paper bag, that his opinions on who should play and who shouldn't don't mean very much.

If he's not, then we'll figure out a way to trade his ass, worry not my friends.

I hope he plays like a man from the get go this year, otherwise people are going to ride him pretty hard. But, I don't see any reason why he wouldn't.

Karl Shmarl. He's a dumbass. He'd probably put me out there and tell me "if you think you can take your man, take him."
Rhylan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2002, 11:32 AM   #8
pepperfletch

pepperfletch is on a distinguished road

Rhylan is right....Karl is a out of date coach. Half court one on one play does not match up well when the opponent works as a team.

Raef will be fine, Don will pump his self worth back up and he will continue to improve....

He will play as much in the 4 as the 5 as Doin will move Dirk to 3 to play the other centers more...IMO Bradley and Ech will play more than they did this past season. Dirk will eat up 3's...
pepperfletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2002, 12:17 PM   #9
seelenjaeger
Diamond Member

seelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to all

Why do you all think Dirk can still play the 3?

Sure we´ll be able to play with a tall lineup every now and then, but please try to imagine Dirk playing vs. Finley - that´s HORRIBLE for Dirk, and would hurt us more than we benefit.
Old 09-09-2002, 02:35 PM   #10
pepperfletch

pepperfletch is on a distinguished road

I am not saying he will play alot there, but against some teams he will shift over given Nelsons ci=onstant sifting to differening game situations. Not everyone is Finley, who is a better 2 than 3 IMO. Dirk could post up and dominate alot of 3's given matchups. He also will have nights where he needs to 'get away from a given PF...who knows.

You know He will play some 5 as well....We have alot of big men to get out on the floor...but Dirk still has earned 30 plus minutes...We need to play others to keep whole team rested...
pepperfletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2002, 04:24 AM   #11
Epitome22
Golden Member

Epitome22 is a jewel in the roughEpitome22 is a jewel in the roughEpitome22 is a jewel in the roughEpitome22 is a jewel in the rough

<< Rhylan is right....Karl is a out of date coach. Half court one on one play does not match up well when the opponent works as a team. >>

The only &quot;Teams&quot; to win championships against teams who play the half court game in the last decade of NBA playoff basketball are teams who play half court themselves.
Epitome22 is offline   Reply With Quote