Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Other Sports Talk

Old 02-10-2006, 02:40 AM   #1
capitalcity
Diamond Member

capitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant future
Default DKR stadium renovations announced... (Laura Miller to thank?)

This pretty much seals the deal... The Red River Shootout will be going home & home starting in 2008.

UT stadium expansion to include renewed emphasis on veterans
Regents approve $149.9 million plan including memorial plaza, new north end zone structure.

By Ralph K.M. Haurwitz
AMERICAN-STATESMAN STAFF
Thursday, February 09, 2006

The "memorial" part of Royal-Memorial Stadium will get renewed emphasis as part of a $149.9 million remodeling and expansion plan approved Thursday by the governing board of the University of Texas.

Built in 1924 as a memorial to UT students and alumni who fought and died in World War I, the stadium was rededicated in 1977 to all Americans who fought in any war, said David Dixon, an interim associate vice chancellor for the UT System.

Highlights of the project, which is scheduled to be completed in August 2008:

Replacement of the north end zone structure with a multi-level complex that includes additional seats, club space, suites, athletic offices, academic-advising areas and a basement with gym space. Seating capacity overall will rise to more than 90,000 from the current 80,082.

A 70-foot-long bronze tablet bearing the names of more than 5,000 Texans who died in World War I will be moved to the new outdoor plaza from its current location beneath the north scoreboard. Other plaques in the north end zone will be moved as well. Plaques on east and west sides will remain at current locations.

The new outdoor plaza at the northwest corner will be a memorial to veterans, with a bronze tablet honoring Texas World War I deaths, a monument, landscaping and new stadium entry gates between two towers rising 115 feet, same as the towers in the east grandstand.
Old 02-10-2006, 07:41 AM   #2
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

u2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond repute

Sweeet....
Old 02-10-2006, 10:01 AM   #3
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

The new Cowboy stadium could have been there...
MFFL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 10:31 AM   #4
capitalcity
Diamond Member

capitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by MFFL
The new Cowboy stadium could have been there...
Ha, ha, ha... he-he.

Of course I don't really think this upgrade had a lot to do with Laura Miller's lack of motivation to renew the cotton bowl contract. These expansions (and the eventual expansion to a full bowl/110K capacity) have been in the works for years.

Sidenote: The Disch-Falk improvements will be done around the same time.
Old 02-10-2006, 10:41 AM   #5
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

u2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond repute

I am excited as heck. Memorial is functional, but it's needed renovations for years. Years ago (mid 90's) I was doing volunteer work for the Special Olympics in Austin. I put in a Wireless LAN on the UT Campus and used Memorial stadium as the broadcast point. (keep in mind, back then setting up wireless Networks was a lot trickier and not as easy as todays world). I had a Bridge set up on the press-box side top floors Men's restroom because there was no other place to get enclosed electricity. I still have pictures of the Bridge sitting on a table next to the metal Urinal basin.

Man, I miss those days. But I am glad better days are ahead. Too bad for the city of Dallas though. It looks like Miller is settled on letting the progress of Dallas regress.

Last edited by u2sarajevo; 02-10-2006 at 12:11 PM.
u2sarajevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 11:30 AM   #6
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

Nice upgrade....look forward to beating UT in it.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 12:08 PM   #7
capitalcity
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drbio
Nice upgrade....look forward to beating UT in it.
No Doc... That's where the, uh... Mens Football team plays.

Sorry about the vauge article - I can see where you'd be confused.

P.S. There is no truth to the rumor that some of the money will go to update DKR north, a.k.a Floyd-Casey.

Last edited by capitalcity; 02-10-2006 at 12:10 PM.
capitalcity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 12:20 PM   #8
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

Words fed back are so sweet....it will happen. The timeline is in my favor. t.u. will fall in the new place...and yes...it will be to the Bears.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote