Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 02-28-2009, 11:25 AM   #1
birdsanctuary
Platinum Member

birdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to all
Exclamation If you could ask Holger...

If I could ask Holger,

I would ask him why Dirk has not developed a go-to hook shot in the low post. It seems that such a shot would add so much versatility to his game especially with Carslile's ability to create a viable motion offense.

What would you ask Holger?
Old 02-28-2009, 11:59 AM   #2
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

I'd ask Holger if he was amazed at the numbers that Dirk has been able to put up despite having very little help around him offensively.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 02:08 PM   #3
SMC0007
Guru

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

I would ask him if he could get me Dirks Autograph.

you just proofed how stupid you are - CRAZYBOY
SMC0007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 05:43 PM   #4
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdsanctuary View Post
If I could ask Holger,

I would ask him why Dirk has not developed a go-to hook shot in the low post. It seems that such a shot would add so much versatility to his game especially with Carslile's ability to create a viable motion offense.

What would you ask Holger?
In part 3 of the recent "5 magazine" dirk interview...the dirkster talked like his hook shot is going down pretty regularly in practice. He needs to trot it out in games...maybe he's saving it for the playoffs?
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 05:46 PM   #5
RareMilk
Golden Member

RareMilk is a name known to allRareMilk is a name known to allRareMilk is a name known to allRareMilk is a name known to allRareMilk is a name known to allRareMilk is a name known to allRareMilk is a name known to allRareMilk is a name known to allRareMilk is a name known to all

Dirk with the sky hook fade away!
RareMilk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 12:39 AM   #6
Itachi

Itachi is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMC0007 View Post
I would ask him if he could get me Dirks Autograph.
This!!!
Itachi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 12:41 AM   #7
fluid.forty.one

fluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond repute

I'd ask him to give me saxophone lessons.
fluid.forty.one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 01:58 AM   #8
tsar

tsar is a splendid one to beholdtsar is a splendid one to beholdtsar is a splendid one to beholdtsar is a splendid one to beholdtsar is a splendid one to beholdtsar is a splendid one to beholdtsar is a splendid one to beholdtsar is a splendid one to beholdtsar is a splendid one to beholdtsar is a splendid one to beholdtsar is a splendid one to behold

I'd ask him to sexophone me.
Old 03-01-2009, 02:03 AM   #9
DirkFTW
Diamond Member

DirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond repute

Wow, this thread took a turn for the awkward.

Is this ghost ball??
DirkFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 10:57 AM   #10
SMC0007
Guru

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

No, It took a turn for the

Last edited by u2sarajevo; 03-03-2009 at 11:07 AM.
Old 03-01-2009, 11:08 AM   #11
Bayliss

Bayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond repute

The reason why Dirk doesn't use the hook is because he just isn't comfortable with it. With a defender on him on the blocks, a turnaround shot is much more reliable for him. The hook shot is harder to block but if he only makes that say 40% of the time, and he shoots a turnaround jumper that is easier to block but makes it 60% of the time... which would you shoot?

I do think Dirk looks at the "odds" at things like that. I've seen him do the hook several times. But you also have to realize that most players who develop a hook shot are TERRIBLE shooters. So the hook is a better percentage shot for them.

It's the same reason why Shaq dunks. It is the highest percentage post move he can do. So if the defense allows it, why show off other things? It's partly why he is one of the most dominating big men ever but doesn't have the post moves that Hakeem and McHale had.
Bayliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 01:45 PM   #12
SMC0007
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayliss View Post
The reason why Dirk doesn't use the hook is because he just isn't comfortable with it. With a defender on him on the blocks, a turnaround shot is much more reliable for him. The hook shot is harder to block but if he only makes that say 40% of the time, and he shoots a turnaround jumper that is easier to block but makes it 60% of the time... which would you shoot?

I do think Dirk looks at the "odds" at things like that. I've seen him do the hook several times. But you also have to realize that most players who develop a hook shot are TERRIBLE shooters. So the hook is a better percentage shot for them.

It's the same reason why Shaq dunks. It is the highest percentage post move he can do. So if the defense allows it, why show off other things? It's partly why he is one of the most dominating big men ever but doesn't have the post moves that Hakeem and McHale had.
Well he only shoots 47% fg not 60% . So I would take a hookshot at 40%. I see what you are trying to say but if your have been working on something for so long why not use it. You can never know how effective it can be until you try it in games. Why not, what's the worst that could happen? A miss an airball, that doesn't matter and is unlikely anyway, at least it's something going toward the bucket in the paint. Mixing his game up a little more like that would only help, if defenders have to guard that and it's pretty unguardable then it makes his spins and up and unders more effective. Defenders know what he is going to do most of the time but he's so tall they can't stop it when his shot is falling. I think he needs to bust a few out tonight.

Last edited by SMC0007; 03-01-2009 at 01:46 PM.
Old 03-01-2009, 02:32 PM   #13
Bayliss

Bayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Well he only shoots 47% fg not 60%
That is his overall FG%. That isn't his % on a certain shot. He shoots 90% from the line. But he does not shoot 90% from 15 feet out, because the defense is different. The same rules applies to FG%.

He has tried it in games. His go to move will always be his fadeaway. Now it is becoming that one legged creating space shot.

Last edited by Bayliss; 03-01-2009 at 03:28 PM.
Bayliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 03:40 PM   #14
SMC0007
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayliss View Post
That is his overall FG%. That isn't his % on a certain shot. He shoots 90% from the line. But he does not shoot 90% from 15 feet out, because the defense is different. The same rules applies to FG%.

He has tried it in games. His go to move will always be his fadeaway. Now it is becoming that one legged creating space shot.

OHHH.....ok.

no, I was kidding. I knew what you meant. I also don't think it should be his go to move just that he should use it more often.

Old 03-03-2009, 10:45 AM   #15
GermanDunk
Diamond Member

GermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMC0007 View Post
No, It took a turn for the
This thread is blown now...

Last edited by u2sarajevo; 03-03-2009 at 11:08 AM.
GermanDunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 01:37 PM   #16
fluid.forty.one

fluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond repute

I'd ask him to please beg Dirk to stay next year.
fluid.forty.one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 06:48 PM   #17
MaVs 41 BaLler
Golden Member

MaVs 41 BaLler has much to be proud ofMaVs 41 BaLler has much to be proud ofMaVs 41 BaLler has much to be proud ofMaVs 41 BaLler has much to be proud ofMaVs 41 BaLler has much to be proud ofMaVs 41 BaLler has much to be proud ofMaVs 41 BaLler has much to be proud ofMaVs 41 BaLler has much to be proud ofMaVs 41 BaLler has much to be proud ofMaVs 41 BaLler has much to be proud ofMaVs 41 BaLler has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluid.forty.one View Post
I'd ask him to please beg Dirk to stay next year.
Id ask him to give Dirk a title in a place where he earned it.

DFFL

Tags
kareem abdul-jabbar