Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 01-23-2005, 12:41 AM   #1
MavsFanFinley
Guru

MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute
Default Mavs' Johnson giving his big man a boost

Mavs' Johnson giving his big man a boost
Coach confident that Dampier can raise his game

By EDDIE SEFKO / The Dallas Morning News

Truth be known, Avery Johnson's coaching career started last season at Golden State.

Even though his contributions were limited on the court, Johnson had a full-time job mentoring Erick Dampier.

"I saw in him a guy who could be one of the top centers in the game," Johnson said Saturday.

That's not exactly what the Mavericks have seen yet, although there are reasons for optimism about Dampier's direction of late. With Johnson taking over for Don Nelson while the coach recuperates from shoulder surgery, Dampier has more than just a different set of eyes critiquing him. He might have a catalyst for his game.

"It could be," Dampier said. "Avery's a great guy – a friend, a coach."

Dampier's play in the first game under Johnson was solid, including 11 rebounds in 24 minutes. He fought foul trouble at Charlotte on Friday, but had effective moments.

Today, he'll match up with Denver's Marcus Camby. Camby has averaged 21.5 points and 18.5 rebounds in the Nuggets' last two games, both victories.

Like all players, Dampier gets frustrated when the ball does not come his way. But with a roster jammed with scorers, Dampier is adjusting to fewer touches. It also should be noted that his averages this season (8.7 ppg, 7.4 reb.) are very close to his career numbers.

"We all want Damp to up his game," Johnson said. "On a scale of one to 10, is he a nine or a 10? Not even close. But he's added a lot since he got off to the slow start.

"We need him to use this as a jump-start to another level. We don't measure him by points. We measure him by his presence, rebounds, blocked shots and playing physical. He has to be our muscle."

DMN Notebook:

Armstrong sits, but won't pout
Veteran disappointed at not playing, but is being a pro about it

By EDDIE SEFKO / The Dallas Morning News

Every coach has a different style, even those who are filling in, like Avery Johnson is for Don Nelson.

Certain players will benefit from the subtle differences in Johnson's methods. Others will see their roles diminish.

Darrell Armstrong is one of the others.

"Not playing is definitely not fun," Armstrong said Saturday. "When you're used to playing and making plays, then you're sitting, it's tough. You're happy for the team because we're winning, but you want to be part of it."

Since Armstrong was acquired in a trade Dec. 3 from New Orleans, he's been a starter, a backup and, recently, glued to the end of the bench as Johnson has shortened the rotation to nine players.

Jason Terry is getting the bulk of the minutes at point guard. Devin Harris picks up the scraps. Armstrong is the odd man out – for now.

"It can change in a heartbeat," he said. "You have to be professional about it. When you're winning, you roll with it. If you're losing, that's when it kills you."

This is the final season on Armstrong's contract, but he's not concerned about his lack of play impacting his future worth. After 10 years in the league, his game is well-documented, even if it isn't on display right now.

JT on the rise:

Jason Terry has been unconscious of late, hitting 25 of 34 shots (73.5 percent) in the last three games.

He's averaged 19.3 points and 6.3 assists during that stretch.

"Every time he shoots the ball, I feel like it's going in," Dirk Nowitzki said.

Terry's career field goal percentage is 42 percent. So how is he shooting almost 53 percent this season?

"Dirk draws a lot of attention," Terry said. "Not being the focal point, I get a lot more open looks now than I used to [at Atlanta]. I've taken and hit big shots. I'm not scared to step up and do that."

Terry, by the way, started his career with the Hawks under Lenny Wilkens, who resigned as coach of the New York Knicks. Terry believes Wilkens' coaching days are not over. "He's a lifer," Terry said.

Briefly:

Jerry Stackhouse was happy to score 19 points Friday at Charlotte Coliseum, a building with which he's quite familiar. "I have a lot of great memories at that place going back to high school and college," said the former North Carolina Tar Heel. ... Michael Finley has been wearing a small bandage above his left eye. "Alan Henderson hit me in the New Jersey game," Finley said. "We had Big Ten wars. I guess he thought we were still in the Big Ten."
Old 01-23-2005, 12:52 AM   #2
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Mavs' Johnson giving his big man a boost

Quote:
"Every time he shoots the ball, I feel like it's going in," Dirk Nowitzki said.
its good to hear that the best player on the team has confidence in his new point.
Quote:
I've taken and hit big shots. I'm not scared to step up and do that."
its good to hear that the new point has confidence in himself

everything that I have ever heard/read coming from the mouth of Jason Terry I have liked. The guy is pure positive energy and that can do nothing but help this team.

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2005, 01:45 AM   #3
samoan-maverick

samoan-maverick is on a distinguished road
Default RE:Mavs' Johnson giving his big man a boost

Quote:
Michael Finley has been wearing a small bandage above his left eye. "Alan Henderson hit me in the New Jersey game," Finley said. "We had Big Ten wars. I guess he thought we were still in the Big Ten."
Henderson, I guess you didnt hear what we did with Dickau when he did something to our star. Dont let it happen again.
Old 01-23-2005, 09:54 AM   #4
MavKikiNYC
Diamond Member

MavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to behold

Wait....this is an interesting strategy by AJ.

But why isn't he ridiculing Dampier, yanking him after his first mistake, and varying his minutes from 4 to 30 on a game-by-game basis?

Is this the Twilight Zone?
MavKikiNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2005, 11:00 AM   #5
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

FilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally posted by: MavKikiNYC
Wait....this is an interesting strategy by AJ.

But why isn't he ridiculing Dampier, yanking him after his first mistake, and varying his minutes from 4 to 30 on a game-by-game basis?

Is this the Twilight Zone?
Yea you know for a guy who supports Nellie I can't justify that. One thing I love with AJ that Nellie doesn't do well is his subsitutions. AJ doesn't forget he sat a player on the bench. He also isn't afraid to sit Dirk for a couple of minutes when he looks tired. I'll give Nellie a pass when it comes to yankin' the young pg but he shouldn't make it a habit with every player.

1996-2005
FilthyFinMavs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2005, 12:01 PM   #6
bricklayer

bricklayer is a jewel in the roughbricklayer is a jewel in the roughbricklayer is a jewel in the roughbricklayer is a jewel in the rough

I agree about sitting Dirk when he looks tired I'd like to see his minutes go from 38+ to about 36.
Old 01-23-2005, 12:44 PM   #7
madape
Diamond Member

madape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to behold

AJ is the only reason Dampier is here... and after less than half a season, AJ is calling the guy out. I wonder how "close" to a 9 or 10 Dampier really is? 4 1/2? 3? He certainly hasn't been what we've needed. Maybe it's time to finally cut our losses and relegate him to the bench where he belongs.

In the dictionary, you can find "Dampier" somewhere between "Bust" and Disappointment".

madape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2005, 12:55 PM   #8
Bayliss

Bayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
AJ is the only reason Dampier is here... and after less than half a season, AJ is calling the guy out. I wonder how "close" to a 9 or 10 Dampier really is? 4 1/2? 3? He certainly hasn't been what we've needed. Maybe it's time to finally cut our losses and relegate him to the bench where he belongs.
Another poster that is blinded by Shawn's sheer usefulness. I'll repeat once again... I'll take 9-8 and a {b]presence[/b] defensively anyday over the week over what the Mavs have had in LaFrentz, Bradley, Lorenzo Williams, Jon Hot Rod Williams, or Antoine suckWalker. If you would rather have that sh*tlist then you must want the Mavs to go back to the glory days of the 90's.

Quote:
In the dictionary, you can find "Dampier" somewhere between "Bust" and Disappointment".
Yep. A dissaapointing 43% from the field for the opposition. A disappointing big body to lay a hit on the opposition. A disappointing defensive presence in the middle.

Btw, Madape, where in the dictionary would you find Bradley? Could it be somewhere between mediocre and suck?
Bayliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2005, 01:06 PM   #9
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

grndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Btw, Madape, where in the dictionary would you find Bradley? Could it be somewhere between mediocre and suck?
Madape's opinion of Dampier is worth about as much as your opinion of Bradley. The guy's been somewhere between good and terrific as the #2 center on the team. There's no need to insult someone who's been a very good player for the team this year just because the monkey's been too busy listening to himself talk all year to see that Damp, even if there's still room for improvement, has been considerably better for the team than he wanted to believe before the season started.
Old 01-23-2005, 01:11 PM   #10
MavKikiNYC
Diamond Member

MavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to behold

I tend to think that having a player like Dampier makes Bradley even more useful.

When you can use him in a focused way, with a very specific purpose, for a limited stretch of time, without having to over-depend on him for a contribution beyond his capabilities, Mantis becomes a very useful player off-the-bench. ....Off the bench.
Old 01-23-2005, 01:14 PM   #11
Bayliss

Bayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond repute

Actually I think Bradley is highly effective... in spots.

But he should not play big minutes.
Bayliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2005, 01:27 PM   #12
madape
Diamond Member

madape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to behold

According to EVERYONE one the Mavericks coaching staff (even his outspoken champion, Avery Johnson), Dampier hasn't even been "anywhere close" to being good or terrific this year.

The fans sure love him, though. So does Matt Pinto.

My theory is that some people are just incapable of seing past Dampier's enormous 6'11" body to see what he really is: a below average center. I'd like to remind these people that Damp's disappointing play this year is NOT some kind of islolated instance of one disappointing season. Dampier has always been a disappointment. He's never lived up to the "potential" that those who are blinded by his mass have bestowed upon him. He is what he is. And what he is, isn't worth "anywhere close" to what we gave up for him. The Mavs would be better off without him.
Old 01-23-2005, 01:28 PM   #13
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

grndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond repute

If "in spots" means regular minutes as the primary backup option at center behind Dampier playing as an entrenched, 30+ minute starter, I'm in complete agreement. I can't think of any off-the-bench center in the league who's been better this year.
Old 01-23-2005, 01:45 PM   #14
MavKikiNYC
Diamond Member

I think pretty much everyone agrees that Dampier's individual production has been lower than was expected, and in that sense a disappointment.

OTOH, there have been definite signs of improvement in the Mavs team play, and very encouraging signs about the team's style of play. And there are very few holdouts who still try to deny Damp's contribution to those developments.

If only Nellie weren't among them.
Old 01-23-2005, 01:57 PM   #15
madape
Diamond Member

The big difference, in my opinion is in the fact that we're actually playing true centers more than 30 minutes a game. Granted, the center play we've been getting out of our starter hasn't been that great. But by just having a shotblocker / rebounder on the floor for most of the game makes a big difference. As does Dirk's greatly improved defensive game. As does Josh Howard's presence for 35-40 minutes. As does having a rotation of solid defenders at the point.

Dampier has not been good this year at all. But the ridiculous investment we've made in him forces Nelson to play him, and that's been the big difference. It's a shame that Nelson needs to be forced to play a center. It means we have to make terrible trades, like the Dampier deal, just to ensure that we have a big man on the court.
Old 01-23-2005, 04:45 PM   #16
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

With respect to howard it does seem pretty obvious, that this is a different team with him out there. He's a stud small forward, without him we really get overmatched there this year.

I wonder what the stats are when josh plays versus not.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2005, 04:59 PM   #17
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

Quote:
Coming into today's game Josh was 5th on the team with a +7.3 on-court +/- (Damp's at +7.2, btw), and a +2.4 net +/-. The team's offensive output is about the same with him on the court (111.1 points per 100 posessions) as off (111.5 pp100), but the defense is 5 pp100 better (102 pp100 with him on-court). His impact is apparent on fg% defense (46.1 efg% on-court vs. 47.3 efg% off-court), defensive rebounding (68.8% with, 64.7% whithout), and in opponents' free throws attempted (24 per 48 with, 26 per 48 without). Of course, his value is magnified when the team's production with him on the court is contrasted with the team's production with him injured (as opposed to merely resting). When everyone's healthy and he goes to the bench he's being replaced by a not-overworked Finley or Stackhouse. When he's unavailable to play his minutes are going to an overworked Finley or Stackhouse and the team is having to compensate by playing PF's and PG's out of position.
Old 01-23-2005, 05:40 PM   #18
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

kg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: dude1394
With respect to howard it does seem pretty obvious, that this is a different team with him out there. He's a stud small forward, without him we really get overmatched there this year.

GMC had some good stats. Here are some more...

Coming into today's game, Howard had played in 35 of 38 possible games. When Howard played, the Mavs held opponents to .428 FG% and 95.8 ppg, and they had a rebound margin of +0.5. In the three games where Howard didn't play, the Mavs allowed .502 FG% and 105.0 ppg, and they had a rebound margin of -4.0.