Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 06-17-2008, 01:18 PM   #1
AxdemxO
Diamond Member

AxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to behold
Default Mensah-Bonsu Gets Another Shot with Mavs

Fringe NBA players are on tour these days, making the rounds to see where they might have a shot at full-time employment next season.

Most of the names are anonymous, but one that made a swing by American Airlines Center on Monday was of particular note: Pops Mensah-Bonsu.

The former Maverick spent last season playing in Italy and had a great experience there. But he's hoping it's a one-time episode.

Mensah-Bonsu, 24, was an intriguing talent when he played in 12 games during his rookie season with the Mavericks in 2006-07.

However, he was recovering from a knee injury and despite his obvious athleticism never got a chance to contribute regularly. In Italy, he played for Benetton Treviso in the Italian A League and averaged 8.3 points and 9.2 rebounds.

Now, he can't help but notice that there are a lot of empty spots on the Mavericks' roster.

"You never know what might happen," he said. "I just have to take care of my business."

The Mavericks also brought in Richie Frahm, a respected shooter who has bounced around the league for several seasons and played 10 games for the Los Angeles Clippers last season.

"It feels disrespectful when you watch these shows, TNT, ESPN, and they're talking, 'Walk through the Mavericks, that's who you want to play," Terry said. "OK. We'll see if that's who you want to play."

........GO MAVS
AxdemxO is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-17-2008, 01:47 PM   #2
LSMF
Diamond Member

LSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond repute

Hopefully hes gotten better and will be able to contribute a little more to help us.
Old 06-17-2008, 03:54 PM   #3
BGMaverick9
Guru

BGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond repute

I definitely think he's worth a shot. We have the spaces free and if he can figure "it" out, he'll definitely carve out some time.

The Animal and The Beast.
Just throwing that out there, maybe it'll stick around November...
Old 06-17-2008, 03:59 PM   #4
Dirkgreatness
Platinum Member

Dirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to behold

More like the whale killer.
Old 06-17-2008, 04:57 PM   #5
LSMF
Diamond Member

LSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond repute

The only thing Im not sure about is having another undersized PF on the team
Old 06-17-2008, 05:06 PM   #6
bgarrett
Banned

bgarrett is a jewel in the roughbgarrett is a jewel in the roughbgarrett is a jewel in the roughbgarrett is a jewel in the roughbgarrett is a jewel in the rough

Im not sure he is really undersized at 6'9'' 240 he can leap so I think that evens it out. He can hang with PF's If he has improved..
bgarrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 05:20 PM   #7
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

PF is not a need for this team. We need some bodies though so I guess, why not.

DevinHarriswillstart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 05:27 PM   #8
LSMF
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgarrett
Im not sure he is really undersized at 6'9'' 240 he can leap so I think that evens it out. He can hang with PF's If he has improved..
Good point
Old 06-17-2008, 05:30 PM   #9
craggmac
Golden Member

craggmac has much to be proud ofcraggmac has much to be proud ofcraggmac has much to be proud ofcraggmac has much to be proud ofcraggmac has much to be proud ofcraggmac has much to be proud ofcraggmac has much to be proud ofcraggmac has much to be proud ofcraggmac has much to be proud ofcraggmac has much to be proud ofcraggmac has much to be proud of

Yeah.
craggmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 06:02 PM   #10
DirkFTW
Diamond Member

DirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond repute

In honor of today:

"Yea that was me"

Is this ghost ball??
DirkFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 06:07 PM   #11
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Thank God! Pops was clearly a victim of Avery's hard-on for washed up vets. Let the Whale Killer wreak his brand of havoc around these parts once more!

May I remind you, Pops and Bass were once similar prospects.
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 06:18 PM   #12
bgarrett
Banned

bgarrett is a jewel in the roughbgarrett is a jewel in the roughbgarrett is a jewel in the roughbgarrett is a jewel in the roughbgarrett is a jewel in the rough

Anyone willing to share what whale killer is? A post link... something?

Is there gonna be summer league games at smu again? or anywhere near?
Old 06-17-2008, 06:22 PM   #13
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by chumdawg
If he could become the "next" Bass, then I have no problem packaging Bass in a trade...

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.

Last edited by Underdog; 06-17-2008 at 06:22 PM.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 06:33 PM   #14
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgarrett
Anyone willing to share what whale killer is? A post link... something?
Pops Mensah-Bonsu

Nana Papa Yaw Dwene Mensah-Bonsu, generally known as Pops Mensah-Bonsu (born September 7, 1983 in London), is a British basketball player with Spanish team CB Granada. In the Ghanaian language Twi, Mensah-Bonsu's name means King (Nana) Father (Papa) Thursday Born (Yaw) Three (Mensah) Whale (Bonsu). In several interviews Mensah-Bonsu has suggested that his family earned its surname when an ancestor slew a whale.

He was a former star at the George Washington University in the Atlantic 10 Conference. He is a graduate of the St. Augustine College Preparatory School, in Richland, New Jersey. Upon graduating from college in 2006, Mensah-Bonsu entered the 2006 NBA Draft, but was not drafted. He played one year for the Dallas Mavericks and one for Italian Series A team Benetton Treviso.

Mensah-Bonsu initially signed a two-year contract with the Dallas Mavericks and played for the Fort Worth Flyers, the NBA D-League affiliate of the Mavericks. He made the D-League All Star Team and was MVP of the game, with 30 points and 7 rebounds.

Mensah-Bonsu was recalled to the Mavericks on February 8, 2007. He scored his first NBA points against the Atlanta Hawks.

For the 2007/08 season, he played with the Italian Serie A team Benetton Treviso, averaging 8.3 points and 9.2 rebounds, shooting 59% from the floor and 77% from the free throw line.

CHECK OUT THESE DUNKS!!!

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.

Last edited by Underdog; 06-17-2008 at 11:41 PM.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 07:48 PM   #15
bcrav4
Golden Member

bcrav4 is a name known to allbcrav4 is a name known to allbcrav4 is a name known to allbcrav4 is a name known to allbcrav4 is a name known to allbcrav4 is a name known to allbcrav4 is a name known to allbcrav4 is a name known to allbcrav4 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGMaverick9
I definitely think he's worth a shot. We have the spaces free and if he can figure "it" out, he'll definitely carve out some time.

The Animal and The Beast.
Just throwing that out there, maybe it'll stick around November...
Can you imagine Pops and Bass on the court at the same time? That would be something like Stephen Jackson and Al Harrington beasting the Mavs to death a couple seasons ago.
"They better not put me in the All-Star Game. I won't shoot, but I'll dominate that easy game. I'll be playing hard defense. I'll be foulin'. I'll be flagrant fouling. Everyone will be like, 'What are you doing?'" -- Ron Artest.
bcrav4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 07:57 PM   #16
BGMaverick9
Guru

BGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond repute

That's all it is right now, just imagination.
Old 06-17-2008, 11:01 PM   #17
bgarrett
Banned

Thanks Underdog!

I think there's a great chance of him making the team actually. Nellie is possibly under the most pressure ever now and the easy way out with less blame is to get these young guys in to try and hope they make an impact. Then he can say well were trying to win now but with the salary cap its hard blah blah it s time to get some young talent in here with these vets. I think that would fly a lot better than a few half-arsed trades that don't pan out that could keep our hands tied for longer.

Last edited by bgarrett; 06-17-2008 at 11:02 PM.
Old 06-17-2008, 11:28 PM   #18
Abhi

Abhi is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by longsufferingmavsfan
The only thing Im not sure about is having another undersized PF on the team
6'9?undersize for a PF? i don't think so. Malone?Boozer?Jamison?
Abhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 11:43 PM   #19
BGMaverick9
Guru

I would actually say he's fighting for one of the last roster spaces...again. I don't necessarily agree with you bgarrett on "a great chance."

PF? He'll be 3rd on the list
C? probably going to be 3rd on that list as well
Swing positions? He is well past 3rd on either list.

Last edited by BGMaverick9; 06-17-2008 at 11:43 PM.
BGMaverick9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 06:30 AM   #20
mqywaaah
Diamond Member

mqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant future

Bass and Nana Papa Yaw? Wow wow!

Follow me on Twitter http://twitter.com/gloriosomacky
mqywaaah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 10:51 AM   #21
jayC
Diamond Member

jayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nice

We need athletes that can play defense and rebound. Outside of Josh Howard who else can do those things. Maybe Antoine Wright...
jayC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 11:09 AM   #22
mqywaaah
Diamond Member

mqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant future

I think Wright can definitely do those thing you just mentioned

Follow me on Twitter http://twitter.com/gloriosomacky
mqywaaah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 03:10 PM   #23
Maringa
Golden Member

Maringa is a name known to allMaringa is a name known to allMaringa is a name known to allMaringa is a name known to allMaringa is a name known to allMaringa is a name known to allMaringa is a name known to allMaringa is a name known to allMaringa is a name known to allMaringa is a name known to allMaringa is a name known to all

If Carlisle can let Kidd loose, Pops and Bass are the kind of players that would excel with the thunderous dunks, alley-oops, etc.
Old 06-18-2008, 03:50 PM   #24
bgarrett
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGMaverick9
I would actually say he's fighting for one of the last roster spaces...again. I don't necessarily agree with you bgarrett on "a great chance."

PF? He'll be 3rd on the list
C? probably going to be 3rd on that list as well
Swing positions? He is well past 3rd on either list.

From Art Garcia draft central article...
Quote:
The team is looking for players with potential to make an impact at some point and not at specific positions.
It may seem like he would be fighting for last roster space but who knows how far back depends on what happens this offseason and how much he has improved.
Old 06-18-2008, 04:07 PM   #25
Kidd Karma
Diamond Member

Kidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant future

Summer League is the time to find your 12-15 guys on the roster. You have the rookies and some times 2nd year players getting experience. Then the rest of the roster is a bunch of guys who are looking for TC invites. Not only should the Mavs brass be looking at the guys on our summer league team, but guys playing for other teams, some maybe free agents looking for a TC. So if a guy like Bonsu is lighting it up, another team may give him a TC invite.
Kidd Karma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 11:37 AM   #26
Ninkobei
Platinum Member

Ninkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant future

considering the current mavs salary cap, they are pretty much forced to sign low cost players. this may turn out to be an advantage though. maybe pops just needs some play time to be a solid contributor.
Old 06-19-2008, 02:54 PM   #27
slowmo

slowmo is just really niceslowmo is just really niceslowmo is just really niceslowmo is just really niceslowmo is just really niceslowmo is just really niceslowmo is just really nice

I think I read that DJBenga is also an unrestricted free agent July1. Wonder if the mav's would want him back?
Old 06-19-2008, 03:26 PM   #28
jacktruth
Golden Member

jacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud of

What's your toes, big men, this guy is a wrecking ball.

And I'll bet he still doesn't have a jump shot.
jacktruth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 04:30 PM   #29
StackAttack
Platinum Member

StackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud of

The more people to catch Kidd lobs the better.
Old 06-19-2008, 04:55 PM   #30
DirkFTW
Diamond Member

DirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacktruth
What's your toes, big men, this guy is a wrecking ball.

And I'll bet he still doesn't have a jump shot.
He just needs to incorporate the superman dunk. I bet he could do that from the freethrow line extended.

Is this ghost ball??
DirkFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 08:16 PM   #31
LonghornDub

LonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by chumdawg
Thank God! Pops was clearly a victim of Avery's hard-on for washed up vets. Let the Whale Killer wreak his brand of havoc around these parts once more!

Pops is more athletic than Bass, in my estimation. Though, he'll never shoot the J like Bass. That thing is silky.

"Your'e a low-mentality drama gay queen!!" -- She_Growls

Last edited by LonghornDub; 06-19-2008 at 08:17 PM.
LonghornDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 09:51 AM   #32
BGMaverick9
Guru

No Pops driving the lane from about 15-18 out vs Bass doing it...
Pops sounds a lot more natural doing that vs 3s or 4s.

But you're right, that jumper is so fluid for Bass.
Old 06-20-2008, 06:56 PM   #33
eric03tx

eric03tx will become famous soon enough

Pops is a monster on the ally oops, I went to George Washington and saw every game he played there...unreal hops.
eric03tx is offline   Reply With Quote