Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 08-04-2011, 09:51 AM   #1
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Tyson Chandler Q&A

He did a Q&A with TrueHoop.

Quote:
Dirk Nowitzki was the MVP of the Mavericks, the Finals, and by most accounts the NBA's best player in the entire playoffs.

But to Nowitzki, the MVP of his team was the new guy, veteran center Tyson Chandler. A few weeks after the excitement of winning it all, Chandler is relaxing at home, and considering the lockout, which coincides with the first unrestricted free agency of his career.

In late June, after the title, the Mavericks had a period when they could have negotiated a new contract with you before the lockout. What happened?

We talked about getting something done before the lockout, but it just didn't happen. ... we were so far apart, we might as well not have even met.

That was like celebration time, too.

Exactly. It wasn't much time there and it was celebration time, so everybody was still celebrating and we might have a lot longer to keep celebrating, too.

What's it like playing for Mark Cuban?

It was great. I really enjoyed playing for him. If you're a fan, you would want him to own your team. He puts on an incredible show. When my friends and family came in town they all enjoyed the games because not only does he put great players on the floor but he puts on a great show in timeouts, halftime, in between quarters, it's just always something going on. From a fan's aspect, I know they really appreciate that.

He does some things ... like a team psychologist, stats guy Roland Beech, free throw shooting coach ... that most teams don't invest in. Do those things make a difference?

Yeah, they do. Especially a team psychiatrist. It's more a guy you can bounce ideas off of and get a different point of view. He's always going to be honest with you. If you feel like coach has it out for you -- that would never happen -- but if you feel like coach has it out for you, or you and a teammate aren't getting along, or you want to know a way to approach him, something like that, you can always go to him and ask him and he can say "coach isn't giving you a fair shot because you know, blah, blah, blah." Or "you have to understand the personality of player X."

It's just a lot of different things that really helped us in communication throughout the year. There was always an open window of communication, which I feel like spilled over to the court. You've seen the way we shared the ball, the way the ball movement was. I felt like we were the best passing team in basketball, as far as sharing the ball and hitting the open guy. The ball dictated the shot, and not the player. All that plays a part.

I saw on ESPNDallas a line from you about being ruthlessly honest. Where does that come from?

It's just years of experience, and trial and error, and understanding that my window of opportunity, being at a certain place in my career, I felt like I had nothing to lose. I felt like I wasn't going to allow anything to get in my way, no matter what it was.

If I had to ruffle feathers, or if I had to check myself, whatever the case may be, I was going to do that. At the end of the day I felt like would you rather spare someone's feelings and then be at home in the summertime wishing you were still playing? Or ruffle a few feathers, and win a championship.

How did your teammates take that?

At times, people didn't like it. But I think as the year went along, everybody understood that we were all on the same page. There were no hidden agendas. I wasn't trying to come in and accomplish anything but win. The guys who were there before me wanted the same thing. I wasn't the only one. It became contagious. Guys were talking throughout the locker room, and I was willing to listen to the next guy just as they were willing to listen to what I had to say.

It's exhilarating, it seems to me, to be in a setting where there is no B.S.

You look forward to going to work every day. I love my teammates. We'll have a special bond, now, throughout our entire career, no matter where our journey takes us. It's not often you can go in the locker room and say yeah, I like everybody in there. I enjoy coming to work with these guys. And these guys are honest. They are all straight up. Like I said, there were no hidden agendas.

I heard all the horror stories from the Washington Wizards guys [Mavericks like Brendan Haywood, Caron Butler, DeShawn Stevenson and Josh Howard all played for the Wizards] and all that. You understood what they had been through. And you could tell it was just a breath of fresh air for them. There's nobody plotting on playing time. There's nobody plotting on contracts. We were all going to play, and we were all going to play together. And at the end of the day, when a team wins, everybody on the team will win individually.

I don't know. That Brian Cardinal ... he's a shady character.

Ahh! [Laughs.] He's the shadiest of them all. He sat next to me on the plane. So I heard all his shady business.

He's a funny guy.

Oh, I love him.

Will you consider playing overseas?

I would, depending on this lockout situation. The only reason I'm not considering it right now is because of the long run that we had, and I played for the USA team last summer. So I was just giving myself a little bit of a break. I'm scheduled to start training again this upcoming week.

But you just start getting an itch to want to get back on the court. You never say never. Because if basketball is taken away from you long enough, you're going to want to do something.

You've had some injuries in the past. How's all that now?

Great. I haven't felt better in my career, since I was first coming into the league. The only difference is now I put some preparation behind my effort and athletic ability.

Do you have a team of doctors and trainers and such you trust all that stuff to?

Oh yeah. I definitely have a team of trainers and coaches I work with, as well as physical therapists, and even right now, when nothing's going on, I'm heading back to a lady named Judy, who worked on my two summers in a row. Right now, thank god, I have no injuries or anything, but I still plan on going and rehabbing. It's going to become a ritual now, for the rest of my career. Going, working on things, keeping things strong, so I don't run into these problems.

When I watch JaVale McGee, he reminds me of young you. So long and jumping so high. When I see him jump so often, I can't help but think: Save a little of that, JaVale! Do you see that?

When you're young, they say you're young and you're dumb. You can't gain that knowledge except for just playing. There are some Dwight Howards who come in and blossom early and are able to dominate. Then you have guys like myself, and Andrew Bynum, and I think the same thing about JaVale McGee. It's going to take him a while before he truly gets it. But his athletic ability and his just physical capability ... he should be able to change a game. And I definitely think he will.

It's just time and understanding and placing, coaching, guys working with him, before he dominates out there. He has something that you can't teach.

The first time I ever talked to you was pre-draft, and you were sitting near Eddy Curry, shortly before you two became the "Baby Bulls."

Yeah.

What happened? From your perspective, what happened to Eddy?

It's unfortunate. I still think Eddy should be a top three big guy in this league. Easily. With his physical advantage, his size and his touch and his athletic ability for being that big ... it's something that we lack in this league right now. Not a lot of big guys out here. He should be at the top of his game. He should be an impact player. I felt bad for him in New York. I felt like he never really got a shot. I don't know what went on there, so I can't take sides, but I definitely felt bad for him. I felt like if he had an opportunity to change things around, to show people that he was valuable ... I hope that opportunity comes around for him.

Life is so funny, huh? Little things here and there, and life can break really differently.

Exactly. Situations that you're in. If something happens to you, gives you a wake-up call ... you just never know. I was in Charlotte last year, coming off a surgery. And the next year I'm in Dallas, playing for an NBA title. You never know how things can go. Right now, where he's at, I was there a year ago. You never know what a year can do.

I know you've been doing important things like judging Miss America contests and going to the ESPYs.

Very important.

But what else is on the agenda?

I'm about to do a food drive, in my hometown, in Hanford, California, with Feed the Children and the Salvation Army. That's going on on Friday, so I'll be heading out to my hometown this weekend.

So how does it work, do people bring food?

No, no, everything is sponsored. Boxes of food, deodorant, household things. Through the recession and everything else that's going on in the world, just little things to give people a boost. We'll have truckloads of stuff we'll be giving out. The Salvation Army and the church I grew up in have coupons they give out to families they know are in need, and those families can come and turn their coupon in and get boxes of stuff.

That's pretty cool.

Yeah, it's a really great thing. You really understand in these times that we all need to stick together and help out the next person. I remember when I was on the other side of the gate, when I grew up in Hanford, and I didn't have much coming up. As a youngster in the projects, I definitely didn't have anything. So if you get something, you want to be able to give back and help others. I really feel like there are some special people in the world that just are down on their luck right now.

I think there's this idea that people with your income don't understand poverty. Of course you do understand, because you grew up poor.

I didn't have nothing until my first check. That was the first time my family had anything. I definitely few up that way for the first 18 years of my life. I could never possibly attempt to forget that. Where I came from, the way I was raised, the things that I had to deal with coming up. But it was just a way of life to me. I didn't understand that there was a better way. I thought it was normal to recycle pants and shoes from your older cousins. That was just my way of life. At the end of the month, there was not much food in the refrigerator and you're hoping the first comes so food can come again. You never forget those things.

My kids and my little brothers ... they live a different lifestyle now. You don't want them to have to endure those things. But you never forget. You try to teach them the correct way and understanding that they're very fortunate, and not everybody is as blessed as they are.

Do you think they get that?

You know what? I try to make sure they do.

Any time I do any charity work, or anything like that, I try to make sure my kids are involved, or my little brothers, that can just remind them. They have every PlayStation game, and wear new Nikes every day. They need to understand that there are kids up there who are less fortunate, and the things that they take for granted, people would die for -- people are dying for. It's just, you need to be reminded of those things.

Even myself. I think the world is crumbling when I have a bad game. I'm mad, and I'm going through a bad stretch. Sometimes I'm reminded, when that person comes up at a charity event, and thanks you, and tells you what you mean to them, and this and that ... it puts life in the proper perspective.

Earlier in the CBA talks, there was talk of changing the age limit, either up or down. I guess the idea is that players from high school are irresponsible and get in trouble, but so many of them are like you, and perform so well and you're a champion and a responsible guy. Kevin Garnett, LeBron James, Kobe Bryant ... do you feel you need to stick up for high school players a little bit?

A lot of the young stars that have carried the torch for our league have come out of high school. Whether it's Kobe Bryant, Kevin Garnett, Dwight Howard, LeBron James, you can go on and on.

I definitely think that whole talk about high school players not being responsible is untrue. You can have guys play four years of college and not make it in this league. You can have guys go four years in college and do something crazy. We see that every day.

I think it's more the person, the character of the person, than it is the age. It's in human nature, to hopefully get older, and get wiser through experience. But not everybody does that. I think it's up to the person that's investing their time and their money in the product, and in this case the product is basketball players and young men. I think it's up to them, the decision to decide if they want to invest their money and time in a particular young man with a particular character. You take millions of dollars to scout and make these decisions. Let them earn their check.

What's your prediction about when the lockout's going to end?

I don't know. I don't know when it's going to end. This may drag on for a long time. What I will say is that it's unfortunate that the league has taken this stance that has taken the game away from our fans, as well as our players. It's untimely, coming off some of the highest ratings that we've had in the NBA Finals. League revenue is up. Attendance is up. Excitement about the league is up, thanks to young players, trades, player movement. Even with us becoming a Cinderella team. There's a lot of excitement around the league. It's unfortunate the league would take this stance to take the game away from the fans and players at this point in time. Very unfortunate situation. We have to see how it's going to go.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-04-2011, 10:06 AM   #2
Kante
Diamond Member

Kante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
It was great. I really enjoyed playing for him
Ugh...?
Kante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 10:06 AM   #3
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
"we were so far apart, we might as well not have even met"
Translation: "y'all are gonna have to waaaay overpay to keep me in Dallas"

Underdog's response: if we're going to devote a huge chunk of our cap to a center, I'd rather go after Dwight Howard.

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.

Last edited by Underdog; 08-04-2011 at 10:24 AM.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 10:10 AM   #4
Rick41
Diamond Member

Rick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog View Post
Translation: "y'all are gonna have to waaaay overpay to keep me in Dallas"

Underdog's response: if we're going to devote a huge chunk of our cap to a center, I'd rather go after Dwight Howard.
That quote is what stood out like a sore thumb to me out of the entire article.

Not too good.

"Dirk Nowitzki is now a household name in every locker room in this world.
You say it in Brazil, you say Dirk, they know Nowitzki. You say it in China,
they know Nowitzki. Kobe, Michael, DIRK." - Jeff Van Gundy
Rick41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 10:29 AM   #5
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick41 View Post

Not too good.
Yeah, I love Tyson Chandler - he's one of my favorite Mavs, definitely the piece that put us over the top... BUT, he wants to get paid, he deserves to get paid and I don't think what he'll demand will end up being good value for the Mavericks under the new cap rules (whatever they may be...)

I have a feeling that reality will trump desire when it comes to Tyson Chandler's future here in Dallas - either he'll be too expensive for us to retain, or his asking price will be too unrealistic for other teams to bite and he'll end up back here at a reasonable cost.

In short: if he's going to get overpaid, let someone else do it.

Last edited by Underdog; 08-04-2011 at 10:39 AM.
Old 08-04-2011, 10:39 AM   #6
DirkFTW
Diamond Member

DirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond repute

Is this ghost ball??
DirkFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 01:09 PM   #7
MavsX
Diamond Member

MavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond repute

contract talks aside. chandler is a good dude man
MavsX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 01:50 PM   #8
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

grndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond repute

I'd be interested to know how much of that distance between the Mavs and TC in the pre-lockout discussions was due to yearly salary and how much was due to contract length.

And it bears repeating (over and over again most likely) that it doesn't matter one bit what Tyson wants to get paid. What matters is what other teams are willing to pay him.
Old 08-04-2011, 02:47 PM   #9
Underdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by grndmstr_c View Post
I'd be interested to know how much of that distance between the Mavs and TC in the pre-lockout discussions was due to yearly salary and how much was due to contract length.

And it bears repeating (over and over again most likely) that it doesn't matter one bit what Tyson wants to get paid. What matters is what other teams are willing to pay him.
If Tyson's agent is any good at his job, it'll be a little bit of both - winning a Championship in a contract season can do wonders for a player's perceived value...

Old 08-04-2011, 03:37 PM   #10
dalger
Golden Member

dalger has a brilliant futuredalger has a brilliant futuredalger has a brilliant futuredalger has a brilliant futuredalger has a brilliant futuredalger has a brilliant futuredalger has a brilliant futuredalger has a brilliant futuredalger has a brilliant futuredalger has a brilliant futuredalger has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog View Post
I have a feeling that reality will trump desire when it comes to Tyson Chandler's future here in Dallas - either he'll be too expensive for us to retain, or his asking price will be too unrealistic for other teams to bite and he'll end up back here at a reasonable cost.
Quote:
Originally Posted by grndmstr_c View Post
Well said (no surprise, obviously). The market dictates the price, not Tyson's personal wishes. Looking at the current situation and expecting there to be less money to spend for all teams, I just don't think there will be many offers that are both lucrative financially and interesting professionally. Not to mention that, as unfortunate as it is for Tyson, his injury history could still be a factor and prevent teams from making an expensive long-term commitment despite his status as one of the five or six best centers in the league.

The interview reminded me once again, though, that Tyson is a great guy and someone any fan would want on their team...at the right price.
dalger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 05:26 PM   #11
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

It wouldn't have made any sense or done any good to promise Chandler the moon and the stars without even knowing what the new CBA will be like. There are a dearth of players like Chandler, and he may get what he wants. Cuban will have to overpay either way if he wants to keep him...no doubt about that. Just matters what exactly you're going to have to cough up and if the CBA will even allow it seeing as we're well over the cap.

DevinHarriswillstart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 05:55 PM   #12
sefant77
Guru

sefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirkFTW View Post
= Tyson Chandler after checking which teams are under the (probably) cap?

Last edited by sefant77; 08-04-2011 at 05:56 PM.
sefant77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 06:31 PM   #13
b_o_r
Golden Member

b_o_r has much to be proud ofb_o_r has much to be proud ofb_o_r has much to be proud ofb_o_r has much to be proud ofb_o_r has much to be proud ofb_o_r has much to be proud ofb_o_r has much to be proud ofb_o_r has much to be proud ofb_o_r has much to be proud ofb_o_r has much to be proud ofb_o_r has much to be proud of

Tyson has his ring now so it will be all about the money, as it should be.
b_o_r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 07:19 PM   #14
dalger
Golden Member

dalger has a brilliant futuredalger has a brilliant futuredalger has a brilliant futuredalger has a brilliant futuredalger has a brilliant futuredalger has a brilliant futuredalger has a brilliant futuredalger has a brilliant futuredalger has a brilliant futuredalger has a brilliant futuredalger has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by b_o_r View Post
Yeah, that's clearly the mindset one would want any professional athlete to have after winning a championship... Now I know why D-Wade just didn't have it in the Finals, and he was so stupid to take a pay cut to bring in his super friends who were even more stupid to take a pay cut before winning a ring.
dalger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 07:22 PM   #15
LonghornDub

LonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Cool story, Hansel.

"Your'e a low-mentality drama gay queen!!" -- She_Growls
LonghornDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 07:27 PM   #16
BGMaverick9
Guru

BGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond repute

Inception is on. I'm going to watch it....

Today was awesome.
Old 08-04-2011, 08:39 PM   #17
Popeye

Popeye is a splendid one to beholdPopeye is a splendid one to beholdPopeye is a splendid one to beholdPopeye is a splendid one to beholdPopeye is a splendid one to beholdPopeye is a splendid one to beholdPopeye is a splendid one to beholdPopeye is a splendid one to beholdPopeye is a splendid one to beholdPopeye is a splendid one to beholdPopeye is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
True, but I don't think any teams that aren't title contenders are going to out-bid the Mavs for him.
Popeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 10:09 PM   #18
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popeye View Post
True, but I don't think any teams that aren't title contenders are going to out-bid the Mavs for him.
This is why I don't think it's likely that he'll get a ridiculous offer. Tyson's hitting the market a year too late since the teams that could have money won't be (or shouldn't be) expecting to contend.

As valuable as he can be he's not going to make nearly as big of an impact on a bad team. He does the little things but bad teams need someone to do the big things first. If you're a rebuilding team looking for a center you're better off going after one that can score with his back to the basket like Nene or Gasol.

Last year there were teams with money and expectations that could have justified overpaying Tyson if they could have signed another star to pair him with. For instance the Heat would have been ever better with Chander instead of Bosh.

My concern is that the league eliminates or takes the teeth out of the Bird exception and it leaves us unable to match even a reasonable offer.
Old 08-04-2011, 10:18 PM   #19
xrobx
Diamond Member

xrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond repute

if he stays he stays, if he goes, oh well. there probably won't be a season anyway, last season will be impossible to ever top, and my hunger for a title has already been satiated...
Old 08-05-2011, 03:13 PM   #20
gillybean

gillybean is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrobx View Post
if he stays he stays, if he goes, oh well. there probably won't be a season anyway, last season will be impossible to ever top, and my hunger for a title has already been satiated...
Yes, while 2 months ago I was like a rabid deer caught in the Miami MeMes' headlights with my insatiated hunger for a Mavs title & vindication of 06---I am now surprisingly full and anything more would be applesauce on the cake. And I think I can really have fun watching all future nba games with Dallas winning or not.

From Russia w/Love to the Dallas Mavs class of 2011!
gillybean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 03:48 PM   #21
SMC0007
Guru

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

Tyson Chandler is a BAMF. Talent wise, Orlando and maybe a couple others are the only teams that should have a right to just not be interested. That dood does soo many things that every NBA team needs regardless of the team makeup. I don't see how we can possibly repeat if we lose him and get a significant replacement at the 5.

you just proofed how stupid you are - CRAZYBOY

Last edited by SMC0007; 08-05-2011 at 03:49 PM.
SMC0007 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 08:19 AM   #22
Budapest Maverick
Platinum Member

Budapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant future

First of all, yeah, Tyson is a great human being. About his contract, if it's say, a 65 million hard cap, we are doomed, and can't even think about resigning him. We have a, what, 95 million payroll? 45 million hard cap obviously won't happen, but a 65 million hard cap is plausible. What do we do if that happens?
Budapest Maverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 09:40 AM   #23
xrobx
Diamond Member

xrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by gillybean View Post
And I think I can really have fun watching all future nba games with Dallas winning or not.
this. no loss will ever truly depress me, and no victory could ever move me to tears. a couple months ago was the peak of the mountain, even if we climb back up there one day it won't be amazing as the first time and the way it all happened
Old 08-06-2011, 09:41 AM   #24
GhostFace
Platinum Member

GhostFace has a brilliant futureGhostFace has a brilliant futureGhostFace has a brilliant futureGhostFace has a brilliant futureGhostFace has a brilliant futureGhostFace has a brilliant futureGhostFace has a brilliant futureGhostFace has a brilliant futureGhostFace has a brilliant futureGhostFace has a brilliant futureGhostFace has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick41 View Post

Not too good.
Got that right. I enjoyed the article, but that quote was in the back of my mind the whole time. Obviously we'd rather not over pay for him.. but it would suck hard to lose him.

"What Dirk is doing is legendary stuff, this is a joke how good this man is" - JVG
GhostFace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 03:46 PM   #25
wilmtalk

wilmtalk is a splendid one to beholdwilmtalk is a splendid one to beholdwilmtalk is a splendid one to beholdwilmtalk is a splendid one to beholdwilmtalk is a splendid one to beholdwilmtalk is a splendid one to beholdwilmtalk is a splendid one to beholdwilmtalk is a splendid one to beholdwilmtalk is a splendid one to beholdwilmtalk is a splendid one to beholdwilmtalk is a splendid one to behold

He was the missing piece for us but I don't think he would have the same value for most other teams that he has for the Mavs. He is valuable to a team that plays a lot of zone for he is at his defensive best as a help defender. He isn't as good man to man. He also requires a team that is not as relient on their center to score a lot. This cuts down his value quite a bit to most teams. But then again their are stupid GM's who wouldn't comprehend that and might bid on him anyway.
wilmtalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 04:55 PM   #26
jwmann2

jwmann2 is on a distinguished road

Anyone happen to read the article about Chandler selling his home for half of what he paid for it? No wonder these guys end up going broke. Did he really need a four million dollar home?
jwmann2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 06:30 PM   #27
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwmann2 View Post
Anyone happen to read the article about Chandler selling his home for half of what he paid for it? No wonder these guys end up going broke. Did he really need a four million dollar home?
Lots of folks are getting bit on homes. When you are trying to get over 39% or so of income taxes, a big house that normally increases in value is about as conservative as you can get.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 03:58 PM   #28
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute

FYI Tyson Chandler is on the latest B.S. Report with Bill Simmons. Wonder if this means Dirk isn't going to happen.
Old 08-12-2011, 01:17 PM   #29
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirno2000 View Post
FYI Tyson Chandler is on the latest B.S. Report with Bill Simmons. Wonder if this means Dirk isn't going to happen.
I wondered the same thing. A bummer if so. Looking forward to listening to Chandler's though.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote